(Archived) Moleskine and Evernotes... a scam?

Grant837

I just came across this news... and while its hot off the press I am not pleased..

http://www.techradar...otebook-1093500

and elsewhere stuff like

"smart Moleskine notebook at $24.95 and $29.95"

and a service that wil cost $10 a month ...

and its Apple only, as if Android is not the larger market now...

and to be honest, given that Evernote could scan handwrittent text already, its not so new, except that apparently the icons use are special... only to those who pay a premium for the moleskin I guess...

It is all not fully explained, but it looks like profitering to me, and only enforces me love - hate relationship with Evernote, who seem to have no real long term vision now, other than how to pay back investers as opposed to users who pay...

I would love to be proven wrong ....

So don't buy the Moleskin notebooks and don't subscribe to the Business service. The Moleskin notebook and the Business accounts are two separate things. How is it a scam? It appears to me that, given that neither product has yet been released, the information about both is pretty clear. I don't understand what has your knickers in a such a twist.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of similar notebook type products available in Japan that have their own apps but that sync to Evernote.

• Level 5*

Evernote is a free service. Forever.

If you want premium, business, extra upload allowances, t-shirts, stickers, or moleskine then you can purchase them, but you don't have to, and you can enjoy the free service, while others opt into the paid products.

Where is the scam?

I can clear this up - there are two different announcements you're combining.

Evernote Business is a new service that costs $10 per user per month that we're launching later this year.

The Evernote Moleskine notebook is a new physical item that is available in our store that allows users of the Moleskine line of products to have a new way to integrate seamlessly with Evernote. You can use it with a free account, but it does come with 3 months of Evernote Premium.

OK, its clear that the Business and Moleskine products are two different things, thanks.

My problem is that a normal Moleskine book costs 11.50, The evernote version, basically the same (lighter lines), but with a package of stickers, costs 24.50. It current only works with iOS, and that iOS always gets the jump on new products bugs me I guess. I know many think that if they can ask that premium price and get it, then its only fair.

I quess what bugs me is that a) Evernote has not just made the stickers available for a a.) resonable prices for faithful b.) non moleskine, c.) non iOS users. PS, I am a preimum user

My problem is that a normal Moleskine book costs 11.50, The evernote version, basically the same (lighter lines), but with a package of stickers, costs 24.50. It current only works with iOS, and that iOS always gets the jump on new products bugs me I guess. I know many think that if they can ask that premium price and get it, then its only fair.

As I recall, it also includes three months of premium service.

• Level 5*

OK, its clear that the Business and Moleskine products are two different things, thanks.

I quess what bugs me is that a) Evernote has not just made the stickers available for a a.) resonable prices for faithful b.) non moleskine, c.) non iOS users. PS, I am a preimum user

Hi Grant. I am afraid some of your annoyance is misplaced.

Android doesn't always take a back seat to iOS at Evernote. iOS came out before Android, so Evernote for iOS naturally got a jump on Android there. Android didn't even exist (except in beta, as I recall). However, nowadays we don't know which one will get a product first. Skitch for Android was released before Skitch for iOS, so I think Evernote is definitely committed to the platform. And, I recently read that Phil Libin (CEO) said the company is happiest with its Android version of Evernote (http://techland.time.com/2012/08/24/think-evernotes-interface-could-be-better-so-does-evernote/). Although it doesn't have rich text support yet, I have to say it is a really polished looking interface, and I am thrilled about it. And, Moleskine isn't on Android as an app (as far as I know), so I guess that might also explain why iOS ended up first. I'm sure the integration will be coming in the future, and although it would be nice if we had it today, I think it is just a matter of doing one thing well at a time :)

• 1 month later...

Hi GrumpyMonkey,

It's been a while since your post, so I thought I'd rattle your cage (so to speak :o ).

I consider myself an unofficial Evernote Evangelist, as I jump at every chance to tell anyone who will listen why I love it so much and how it can fix all their problems ... or at least help.

For years before I had an Android phone or found out about EN, I used Moleskine notebooks and was just as much in love with them. Especially the pocket ones I could carry with me everywhere..

However, I love Android as much as I love Moleskine and Evernote. Imagine my hurt and embarrasment when I learned that EN has this feature which only works on iOS.

I understand your point about balance and quality. What I don't understand is your reference to a Moleskine app??? :huh:

Anyway, in case you lovely folks at Evernote lost focus ......

PLEASE GET THIS FEATURE WORKING ON ANDROID!!!!!
:):D:)

Thanks, I'll sit back, hold my breath, and wait patiently now.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey,

It's been a while since your post, so I thought I'd rattle your cage (so to speak :o ).

I consider myself an unofficial Evernote Evangelist, as I jump at every chance to tell anyone who will listen why I love it so much and how it can fix all their problems ... or at least help.

For years before I had an Android phone or found out about EN, I used Moleskine notebooks and was just as much in love with them. Especially the pocket ones I could carry with me everywhere..

However, I love Android as much as I love Moleskine and Evernote. Imagine my hurt and embarrasment when I learned that EN has this feature which only works on iOS.

I understand your point about balance and quality. What I don't understand is your reference to a Moleskine app??? :huh:

Anyway, in case you lovely folks at Evernote lost focus ......

PLEASE GET THIS FEATURE WORKING ON ANDROID!!!!!
:):D:)

Thanks, I'll sit back, hold my breath, and wait patiently now.

My cage has been rattled! I am just late in responding. There has been a Moleskine app in iOS for a while now (long before the Evernote integration), so I am guessing it kind of made sense for them to go with a market they were already familiar with, the iOS app handles images, etc. It makes sense.

I suppose these things just take time. Let's hope it is on its way. My Nexus 7 is primed and ready to go for it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to my friends at Evernote.

Thank you for the awesome app. I've enjoyed using it (and the premium features) for several years.

But I'm really getting sick of the Apple bias and the waiting. Time to start looking for another application to fill the void I'm going to feel when I leave.

Sorry. I've been quite patient.

So I didn't read the fine print and had my wife get me a moleskin which I had planned to use with my Android. Unfortunately, when I couldn't get the tags to work I figured out that it's not supported on the platform. So in order to help me avoid some embarrassment, how about you guys put a priority on the Android support. Pleeeeeease. B)

• 4 weeks later...

As a loyal Molskine and Evernote user I was very excited about the possibilities of this mash up. As soon as i heard about it I posted my excitement on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I pointed my wife to it as a perfect gift for me. With my fresh new Moleskine (always a moment of anticipation and joy) and a long plane ride (without WiFi) I was ready to do a brain dump and see what this baby can do.

Wuh, wuh, whu. I spent the better part of my cab ride and searching for what I was doing wrong. Turns out Evernote might get to it someday and Moleskine has not idea. WTF??

As an Android user I'm disappointed in Evernote's indifference (they could have easily learned how many Android users they have; I use it on all platforms and devices.) in their support and Molskine's vague packaging--it should explain what it does and how, not just potential uses. The whole collaboration smacks of either ignorance or a scam to upgrade to pro services. Either way, they haven't executed it well and this has tainted my impulse to use either.

• Level 5*

As a loyal Molskine and Evernote user I was very excited about the possibilities of this mash up. As soon as i heard about it I posted my excitement on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I pointed my wife to it as a perfect gift for me. With my fresh new Moleskine (always a moment of anticipation and joy) and a long plane ride (without WiFi) I was ready to do a brain dump and see what this baby can do.

Wuh, wuh, whu. I spent the better part of my cab ride and searching for what I was doing wrong. Turns out Evernote might get to it someday and Moleskine has not idea. WTF??

As an Android user I'm disappointed in Evernote's indifference (they could have easily learned how many Android users they have; I use it on all platforms and devices.) in their support and Molskine's vague packaging--it should explain what it does and how, not just potential uses. The whole collaboration smacks of either ignorance or a scam to upgrade to pro services. Either way, they haven't executed it well and this has tainted my impulse to use either.

I think we are all hoping it will come soon, but I don't think Evernote is indifferent.

• Level 5*

If Evernote doesn't have the product, then exactly how is this a scam to get people to upgrade to premium services, which doesn't have the product either? "Wuh, wuh, whu", indeed.

Then quit using Android if you want things first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Yay! But I don't have an Android device. Should *I* feel scammed? :-)

My take is that I prefer to wait a while: I can see this is an idea that might get rev'ed sometime soon: Perhaps different paper, perhaps a respin on the stickers. Who knows?

It's just not enough value yet - to me. And I'm not talking about the price - I understand the financial equation, including the Premium subscription element.

The key question is why I would replace my "I used to be a car tyre"  :-) (rubber covered) notebook with the Evernote one, pretty though that is. :-)

Archived