(Archived) Evernote blocked -- sync by email?

Evernote has been blocked at my company. (As well as numerous other cloud-syncing software. We are a financial company that must archive all communications/email and I suspect many more firms will start blocking EN.)

Since I already have EN I can still use it, but it won't automatically sync with EN on my iPad. It is fine with my company if I can sync by email since all emails are saved and could in theory by reviewed by compliance. Is there a way, say once a day I could sync my work desktop and iPad EN via email?

I am not looking to circumvent the no-cloud syncing policy and email would be fine with the company.

Thanks,

Bobb

Is there a way, say once a day I could sync my work desktop and iPad EN via email?

I am not looking to circumvent the no-cloud syncing policy and email would be fine with the company.

I don't even know what "syncing by email" would be. And any syncing would be considered cloud syncing, I would think. It seems to me what your employer is saying is that any emails sent/received are ok to put into a cloud, since they've been sent over the "airwaves" already. As Metrodon pointed out, you could forward those emails directly to your Evernote account. I don't think your employer is giving you permission to send any other info to a cloud via email, though. Which seems to be what you are thinking...???

Syncing by email would not violate our cloud policy because in theory compliance could see the file of Evernote data sent via email and read it (using EN if necessary).

What "syncing by email" means is another question. In a simplistic way I would like to send my entire en file out by email and it would replace my iPad en file. Not exactly syncing but maybe maybe doable. I can now send individual new notes and that kinda works, but I'll get duped notes if I send an existing note.

Best would be to have the various archive services save all en files. This may not seem like a big issue but the SEC is already fining companies for not logging facebook, twitter and LinkedIn. We can now log user messages on those social media sites. We have opted to just block them from our computers rather than have to have our email archive service store those messages and have our compliance dept review them. What a user does from her home computer is largely not our problem, to a degree. People must attest annually that they must not use social media for business. EN will have to deal with this issue if they really want to go public. big brother is always watching if your are in the financial services industry. Given the use of EN and other such services I think a solution will eventually be found once many firms starting blocking unmonitored access. (rant over)

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

• Level 5*

If what you are asking is, can you email your Evernote database from your desktop to your ipad or vice versa? The answer is no, and I doubt very much whether you will ever be able to.

Understood. Really too bad. EN has been so valuable to me and I found it really useful to work while commuting. I'll still use it on my desktop, but this really limits it. Thanks.

Understood. Really too bad. EN has been so valuable to me and I found it really useful to work while commuting. I'll still use it on my desktop, but this really limits it. Thanks.

I don't understand! You make a note using the desktop application and save it as "Note One" in EN on the desktop application. You go into the next room and turn on your iPad, go the EN app and have it sync. Bingo, there is your "Note One"

Why would you want to move "your" entire database from one to the other? It is already being move by the server at the Evernote home base ??

David in Wichita

You missed my first post and my rant. Evernote is blocked by my company, and by other financial firms. Since it could be used to circumvent the requirement that we store all communications like email, it has been blocked. That's why I want to Sync by email.

Curiously there is no requirement that we tape all phone calls, but the big banks in fact record all conversations.

I don't understand! You make a note using the desktop application and save it as "Note One" in EN on the desktop application. You go into the next room and turn on your iPad, go the EN app and have it sync. Bingo, there is your "Note One"

Why would you want to move "your" entire database from one to the other? It is already being move by the server at the [color=#00800

• Level 5*

There is currently no way to sync Evernote by email. Evernote only syncs using the Evernote service.

If you must use email to add notes from work to your iPad, then you could email notes from your work email to your Evernote email account, which can be viewed on your iPad. Conversely, if you want to view notes on your work computer, then you can email them from your iPad to your work account.

Also, if your internet access is not completely locked down, then you might want to try out the web client, which is viewable from a web browser.

Archived