(Archived) AUDIO FILE HELP NEEDED

I'm a new user of Evernote and am having trouble finding information on creating and accessing audio files through EN. Most urgently what I need to know is if I can record voice notes to an audio file and, if so, if someone else needs to have EN in order to access and listen to that file or if it is saved in a format that Windows (RealPlayer or something similar that's pretty customarily loaded on WIN machines) will read/play? And what about whether someone using a Mac would also be able to access the audio file?

• Level 5*

Hi, welcome to the Forums. Evernote is note-taking and indexing software, not an audio suite so the audio side is kind of basic. There's an option to add an audio note in most (all?) clients, which starts a recording process with visual cues in the note - progress bar, time count etc. When you save the note, it saves an embedded file in a new note in an audio format that suits the hardware you're using. Windows gets a WAV file. You can send that note by email (note sure whether that would automatically include the embedded file), share it with someone via Evernote, or drag and drop the file to your local desktop and just send the file around.

There are lots of utilities that will convert one audio format to any other, so if someone can't read WAV files on their local machine, they can quickly translate it to something that will work.

If you want more control over your recording, or to edit it in various ways, you could record it on your machine using other software and attach it to a note for sharing.

• 3 months later...

"When you save the note, it saves an embedded file in a new note in an audio format that suits the hardware you're using. Windows gets a WAV file."

Hello all, thanks in advance for the help. I use Windows, but whenever I save an audio file from Evernote it saves as .amr. Is this normal? I want to save as WAV.

• Level 5*

Hmmn. Might be a mistake in the original post, or an evolutionary change in a later version of Evernote. Either way there's no option that I'm aware of to opt for one file type or another. AMR files can be converted to WAV, or another app like Audacity can record WAV files which can be embedded in Enotes.

@Ehhviin,

Are you sure you didn't create that note on a mobile client and are now viewing it in the Windows client? Some Evernote mobile clients use the AMR format for audio notes:

https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/1649/If-you-re-unable-to-play-AMR-files-on-your-deskop

I just tried creating a new audio note with Evernote (Windows) 4.6.0.7670, the latest public release. It created a WAV file. If I right-click on the file and choose Save As: it saves it as a WAV file. I also did the same thing with the latest beta version 4.6.1.7772 and got the same result:

audio-note-test.png

-- roschler

• Level 5*

It could be that the media format depends on the software present on the machine - if you don't have Windows Media Player forinstance, the WAV format may not be a default option on that hardware, hence the AMR files. Either way it's pretty easy to convert files from one format to another as required. I ran a test too on Vista and got a WAV result. I do have AMR notes that were recorded on the Android client, but tend to use another app that will generate WAV and MP3 files on Android, and Audacity in Windows for the same reason.

Archived