(Archived) Laptop Battery Drain with Evernote

werpnst8

Idea

Has anyone had trouble with laptop batteries draining once Evernote is running? This and dropbox are the only "new" things on this laptop and I can't seem to find the culprit. (Samsumg notebook computer).

Sorry if this was already asked and answered elsewhere. I couldn't find it.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I don't klnow how much EN will "drain" computer power but on my laptop I have never experienced anything special or particularly "draining". This might be an issue if you have tons of notes (more than 20,000) in searches, which I assume is not the case in your database. The culprit must be something else.

I think you actually did find the culprits already. On my new MacBook Air thats supposed to have amazing 10hr+ battery life I was only getting about 2 or 3 right out of the box. I was on a 6 hour plane trip yesterday and needed more time so I kept stopping applications and checking to see how it affected my battery life (By seeing how the time remaining was changed by clicking on the battery icon). To my surprise I found that DropBox and Evernote were the 2 biggest battery hogs. (I guess syncing take a serious toll on battery life). I turned them off and went from 2 hours remaining to over 10, and I was able to work for over 8 hours. I love Evernote and Dropbox, but now if I know I'm running on battery I keep them both off until I really NEED to sync something or until I get to a power source.

- Jason

I had the same experience as Jason.  I was using the 2013 Air with Evernote web version open and I was just reading a webpage and taking notes on Evernote.  I was only getting 6.5 hours on the new Air.  Then I logged off and into another account without Evernote on, I was getting 12 hours.  So yet, EN was draining laptop battery.

I think you actually did find the culprits already. On my new MacBook Air thats supposed to have amazing 10hr+ battery life I was only getting about 2 or 3 right out of the box. I was on a 6 hour plane trip yesterday and needed more time so I kept stopping applications and checking to see how it affected my battery life (By seeing how the time remaining was changed by clicking on the battery icon). To my surprise I found that DropBox and Evernote were the 2 biggest battery hogs. (I guess syncing take a serious toll on battery life). I turned them off and went from 2 hours remaining to over 10, and I was able to work for over 8 hours. I love Evernote and Dropbox, but now if I know I'm running on battery I keep them both off until I really NEED to sync something or until I get to a power source.

- Jason

• Level 5*

I love Evernote and Dropbox, but now if I know I'm running on battery I keep them both off until I really NEED to sync something or until I get to a power source.

- Jason

EN Mac Preferences provides for setting the Sync interval.  I would hope that if I set it to an hour, Evernote would not attempt an network/internet access within that hour? 

Is this correct, Evernote?

Or does Evernote continue to run in the background even when it is NOT syncing?

In addition to Evernote and Dropbox, Flash and Outlook can be big battery consumers, especially Flash.

I have found the best thing to do with Flash is to install Flash Blockers in all of my Browsers.  This prevents Flash from running at all, unless I click on the Browser pane that contains the Flash.

On the Mac, the easiest way (that I know of) to find CPU hogs is to launch Activity Monitor (use Spotlight to find it) and, in the list of running applications, sort by %CPU (descending). That way, the worst CPU hogs are always at the top and easy to spot.

That said, increased energy consumption can also come from network activity (not very likely on a plane, though).

Furthermore, there are times where Evernote seems to be carrying out some sort of "maintenance" which uses a lot of power but only takes a few minutes. Under some circumstances, it might be wise to wait out this processes (lest it simply resumes after restarting Evernote).

For what it's worth, I've also seen Evernote Helper getting in some sort of incoherent state, essentially blocking Evernote. So stopping this process might help sometimes, as well.

Archived