REQUEST: Tag assigned to Notebook

I would like to see if a tag(s) could be assigned to a notebook. Basically, it would allow me to move a note to a notebook and the note would automatically be assigned the tag that was assigned to that notebook. This is a similar type of functionality that I implement in enterprise document management systems (DMS) for my job. Within the DMS is a set of folders, each folder has a designated metadata value. In the example I am using, the metadata value is a document type. When a user moves or saves a document (of any type, email, or otherwise) into one of these folders, the document type is automatically assigned to the document. This enables the user to search the entire system for the document, without having to go into the folder it self.

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forum and thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see what benefit this 'assigned tag' would bring to the party - you've already 'tagged' these notes with the notebook name, and should be able to use the search syntax (depending on your client and OS's) to include or remove notes from that Notebook in global searches. If you do want to add a generic tag, list the notes in that notebook and tag away at any time.

• Level 5*

To amplify a little, the search syntax to display all notes in notebook 'MyNotebook' is: notebook:MyNotebook

There's no 'going into the folder' required (assuming that that means selecting the notebook in the notebook panel), just use the search.The Windows client also allows you to specify notebook via a dropdown notebook selector in the search explanation panel.

Not only is this redundant, but then there's the issue of how to handle the meta data when moving a note from one notebook to another, that may have differing/conflicting metadata. That scenario would require user intervention for changing the meta data & since EN's goal is to have feature parity across all platforms, it's doubtful this would be very high on the priority list, if on the list at all.

I respect and understand all of your points of view. The thing is that this is how I would like to work, maybe this is not how you want to work and that is fine. I am not asking for you to be forced to use this feature/option. I am asking for myself and others like me who would like this feature. One additional point, this type of feature has been implemented in many fortune 500 companies, law firms, and the like. They don't feel like it is redundant and it has lead to a better enterprise content management because of the feature.

I respect and understand all of your points of view. The thing is that this is how I would like to work, maybe this is not how you want to work and that is fine. I am not asking for you to be forced to use this feature/option. I am asking for myself and others like me who would like this feature. One additional point, this type of feature has been implemented in many fortune 500 companies, law firms, and the like. They don't feel like it is redundant and it has lead to a better enterprise content management because of the feature.

This is really nothing to do with how I work. Please re-read my post above. Additionally, EN's focus is not to be an enterprise application but rather a personal application.

• Level 5*

OK, let's flesh this out in a little more detail:

I would like to see if a tag(s) could be assigned to a notebook. Basically, it would allow me to move a note to a notebook and the note would automatically be assigned the tag that was assigned to that notebook.

Let's call a tag that's used in this way an assigned tag.

* Is an assigned tag unique in any way? In other words, can the same tag be used as the assigned tag of different notebooks? Can a tag that's used as an assigned tag be applied arbitrarily to notes in folders where it is not the 'assigned tag'?

* What's the behavior if you move a note to a different notebook? Is the assigned tag for the source notebook carried along to the target notebook, or is it stripped before it's moved? (assuming that the note receives the assigned tag of the new notebook, if any).

I can see a use case for this if the tag is not unique (if it's unique to a notebook, such that all notes in the notebook have that assigned tag, and no other notes in your account have that tag, then it's pretty much redundant). It sort of fits into my long-standing desire for rules-based tagging (and other metadata-ing). This would just be another rule.

• 2 months later...

One use case I have for this is that my wife and I share a notebook. It's useful for maintaining a common task list. We use tags to manage various projects/chores etc... within our shared notebook.

The dilema is that when I create a new note, it goes into my default notebook, which is *not* the shared one with my wife. In order to get the note into our workflow, I would need to modify both the notebook and tag. Tags are easy in the various interfaces, but changing the notebook is harder and seems to be a workflow barrier I just can't be bothered to spend the extra 5-10 seconds on.

Thus, having tags restricted to a notebook or a rules approach would certainly be used by me.

One use case I have for this is that my wife and I share a notebook. It's useful for maintaining a common task list. We use tags to manage various projects/chores etc... within our shared notebook.

The dilema is that when I create a new note, it goes into my default notebook, which is *not* the shared one with my wife. In order to get the note into our workflow, I would need to modify both the notebook and tag. Tags are easy in the various interfaces, but changing the notebook is harder and seems to be a workflow barrier I just can't be bothered to spend the extra 5-10 seconds on.

Thus, having tags restricted to a notebook or a rules approach would certainly be used by me.

The problem here is that you're using two features that are not Evernote's strong points. EN has said in the past, they will not add anything more regarding task management other than the ever elusive due date. IOW, they are not striving to be a task manager. Also, shared notebooks are only very basic when it comes to collaboration. (From what I've read on the board from some knowledgable EN users - I don't use them myself.). So you may be better served using a true task manager/collaboration tool.

• Level 5*

@russmartin - If you send new notes to Evernote by email you can allocate both tags and the notebook. Seems like your use case may be better served by one or more email templates to make it easy to generate a quick new note.

Thanks for the insights BurgersNFries and gazumped.

I'm familiar with the add via email, the trouble is remembering the syntax of my notebook names and tag names (although the template is a good idea - but not sure it's available on gmail mobile). Perhaps someone will develop an app using the API that will allow the functionality I'm after.

• Level 5*

The email syntax is no biggie if you're just assigning a new note - in the subject line append @<notebook> #<tag> (angle brackets not required). Notebook and tag must both be existing ones - you can't create new via an email.

• 4 months later...

One other application I can see for this request: I use Expensify, which automatically connects an Expensify Notebook in Evernote to the Expensify program. If I photograph a receipt on my iPhone with Evernote, and send it to that Notebook, it is automatically imported into Expensify. But, after that has happened, I'd like to just dump all my notes from the Expensify Notebook to my "Master" notebook. Right now I have to first select all the notes, tag them with my "Receipt" tag, and then drag them into my Master Notebook. If they could be auto-tagged with "Receipt" the minute they show up in the Expensify Notebook, I could just drag them to the Master.

One comment...I've noticed on many Support fora that people with replies often first evaluate whether the request is worthwhile. While I do think this can be a valuable exercise, and anyone reading the reply should also think about the worthwhileness of it, there may nonetheless be many uses for a request that the person replying may not have thought of. So, I think the protocol should be: 1. Indicate why you think the request would be worthwhile or not, and then 2. Answer the request if you can. If it's not a request that can be accommodated, then say so. But, many inventors of new ways of doing things would have never made their breakthroughs had they listened to all the people who told them that something couldn't be done, or wasn't worth doing a certain way.

Thanks

• Level 5*

@Crux: If Evernote ever implemented rules-based actions (suggested elsewhere, and a more general tool), then auto-tagging all notes added to a notebook would be easy. When the original poster was asked for more information about how his desired feature should behave, he didn't respond.

On the topic of replying to feature requesters: it's up to the requester to identify their use cases. Some folks do this well, and some not at all. Sometimes people who respond see other use cases, or a better way to accomplish things, and sometimes not. I don't see any general approach here. There is no protocol, either dictated or even recommended. As it is, this is a user forum (though Evernote reads all posts), individuals make their own protocols. If you have an approach to responding to feature requests that you think is better than what individuals do here, then you are welcome to participate and apply it.

• 2 months later...
One other application I can see for this request: I use Expensify, which automatically connects an Expensify Notebook in Evernote to the Expensify program. If I photograph a receipt on my iPhone with Evernote, and send it to that Notebook, it is automatically imported into Expensify. But, after that has happened, I'd like to just dump all my notes from the Expensify Notebook to my "Master" notebook. Right now I have to first select all the notes, tag them with my "Receipt" tag, and then drag them into my Master Notebook. If they could be auto-tagged with "Receipt" the minute they show up in the Expensify Notebook, I could just drag them to the Master.

I sounds like this could make life a lot simpler to be able to tag everything within a notebook.

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure if this request was ever fulfilled, I'm guessing it was because I somehow managed to get a tag assigned to a notebook.

Now every note I place into this one notebook is given this tag.  The problem is it's not what I wanted, now I can't figure out how to remove it  :wacko: 

Anyone know how to make this un-happen?

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if this request was ever fulfilled, I'm guessing it was because I somehow managed to get a tag assigned to a notebook.

Now every note I place into this one notebook is given this tag.  The problem is it's not what I wanted, now I can't figure out how to remove it  :wacko: 

"Every note I place" as in cut and paste,  via Clearly or Clipper,  email or import folder?  And what's your OS and Evernote client?

"Every note I place" as in cut and paste,  via Clearly or Clipper,  email or import folder?  And what's your OS and Evernote client?

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, and I use Safari. I've been saving web articles, using the clipper, into this notebook from the web onto the Evernote app on my computer.  

• Level 5*

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, and I use Safari. I've been saving web articles, using the clipper, into this notebook from the web onto the Evernote app on my computer.  

The web clipper is probably doing this; based on prior clippings, it will try to guess a notebook and tags for a clipping. You should be able to modify those choices.

@gazumed & jefito, thanks for the quick attention :) I couldn't figure out where to make the modification, but I just stumbled upon it!

At the bottom of the clipper sidebar on my web browser, I clicked on my username, selected options, and under "tag selection" I unchecked "use smart filling".

Thank you!  :D

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, VanTheMan said:

Ditto!

I'd like to be able to run a script, maybe just once, to do this so I can switch from notebooks to tags and get rid of the notebooks all together.

Any Script Kitties interested?

Which platform - I can do AppleScript (Mac)

An alternative is to select all the notes in the notebook, and use the batch operation box to add a tag in mass.

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 5.38.57 PM.png

Archived