(Archived) Taggify Evernote — AppleScript to add tag hierarchy to notes

swehba

Idea

What does the script do?

This script examines the tags for the selected notes in Evernote. For each tag it then traverses the Evernote tag tree all the way up to the root ultimately replacing the tag with all the tags along its path. Say, for example, a note is tagged with "apple". Also say that the tags are organized as follows:

plant

food

fruit

apple

fuji

honeycrisp

red delicious

pear

bartlett

d'anjou

vegetable

greens

chard

lettuce

Running Taggify Evernote on that note will result in the tag "apple" being replaced by the tags "plant", "food", "fruit", and "apple" sorted alphabetically.

By the way, as the program runs it counts off the notes so you have some idea of how

far along it has worked. You can adjust this by modifying the properties below.

Why would I want to do this?

Two reasons:

1. If you structure your tags hierarchically, and then apply all the tags along a path, you can search for tag:fruit for example and get any note with the tags apple, fuji, honeycrisp, red delicious, pear, bartlett, or d'anjoy.

2. It saves you from having to manually enter all the tags along a path.

Disclaimer: I offer this script as-is and make no guarantees that it will do what you want. Although I have tested it extensively and use it on a daily basis, you may discover a bug I didn’t catch. Start out using it on a single note. Feel free to use the code as a basis for your own scripting work.

Taggify Evernote.scpt.zip

0 replies to this idea

There have been no replies to this idea yet

Archived