(Archived) WARNING: Don't leave browser Evernote in editing mode, then go work on your iPad

I started editing a note on my mac in the browser, then switched to the ipad later. It seems that I left the browser evernote in editing mode, so after I saved it on the ipad, then went back to my mac, when i clicked on another note it saved the browser version over the top of all the work I had done on my ipad, and an hour's worth of work was lost. This isn't good enough! Evernote should see there is a conflict of versions and warn you before overwriting! I upgraded to premium to look at the note history to revert to a previous saved version, but it seems that it doesn't actually record saved versions, but just takes very infrequent snapshots. Not good enough for a professional tool!

So much for Evernote's slogan, "Remember everything"!

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the Forums. Thanks for posting a warning, but if you have a solution to the issue I think Evernote would be glad to hear it. You're saying that you edited a note in one browser, then added some more detail in another, but the first version got saved over the second and negated all the work you had done. This wasn't because the first browser was left in 'edit', but because you didn't ensure that client had synced it's changes back to the server before you went onto another. There's a fairly common reminder around here that you must always ensure your client syncs both before and after you make any changes to avoid data loss. I don't see how Evernote can detect an unsynced note, or can be aware that you have made changes to a note on one machine but haven't yet synced those changes. It's a risk inherent in the way that Evernote collates all changes onto their central server, then deals them out to all client connections. That's an area of which we users have to be aware!

It would be fairly simple to check before saving whether the latest version saved on the server has a later save date/time than the server version upon which the current editor's copy is based. So when I return to the browser after working on my iPad it should detect a parent version conflict and warn me. This is fairly simply logic that has been built into source control systems for at least 20 years.

And this shouldn't be affected by autosave. Autosave should save drafts, and only checkpoint the note when you navigate away, or click the done button. Someone else requested a cancel button, and this logic would be needed to that too.

And now I regret paying the $45 to see note history, which doesn't even allow me to see checkpoints, but just 8 hourly snapshots, which is next to useless.

Hi - welcome to the Forums. Thanks for posting a warning, but if you have a solution to the issue I think Evernote would be glad to hear it. You're saying that you edited a note in one browser, then added some more detail in another, but the first version got saved over the second and negated all the work you had done. This wasn't because the first browser was left in 'edit', but because you didn't ensure that client had synced it's changes back to the server before you went onto another. There's a fairly common reminder around here that you must always ensure your client syncs both before and after you make any changes to avoid data loss. I don't see how Evernote can detect an unsynced note, or can be aware that you have made changes to a note on one machine but haven't yet synced those changes. It's a risk inherent in the way that Evernote collates all changes onto their central server, then deals them out to all client connections. That's an area of which we users have to be aware!

Yup. If you're moving from one device to another, it's always good to make sure you've sync'd the changes up to the server before moving to another computer/device. If I forget to do that, then I figure it's my fault & annoying as it may be, would hardly see it as the fault of the application. For all the app knew, maybe I was wanting to over write the newer note with the one I had from earlier. I suppose EN could try to add in all kinds of bells & whistles to protect us from ourselves. But there comes a point when "butt covering" becomes a code/time waster &then becomes the focus of the app (instead of the original intent) & makes users appear to be idiots who can't act responsibly.

As far as i'm aware Evernote pretty much always give refunds if a customer isn't happy and wants to quit the service - I suggest you ask for one.

Yup.

Archived