iPhone app crashing - if I delete & reinstall Evernote app will I lose all my notes?

Hi everyone, I hope someone out there can help me!

Ever since installing the latest update for Evernote on my iPhone, the app won't open - it opens briefly then displays an error message then closes down.

I contacted Evernote who have sent me complicated instructions for emailing my notes/data somwhere-or-other so I can delete the app then reinstall it then restore all my notes... seems unnecessarily long-winded.

Can't I just delete the App from my iPhone then reinstall it? I thought my notes were physically saved on the Evernote server so they would still be there when I reinstall the app. But when I click the delete button on the app on my phone, I get a warning saying all my data will be deleted - can't believe that's true but I don't want to chance it without making sure first!

I didn't realise how much I had started to rely on Evernote until I couldn't use it on my phone any more, so big thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

The instructions sent to you by support likely ask you to install via iTunes, and not Over the air (from your phone itself). If you install over the air, you leave behind certain files that could be causing the crash. Installing via iTunes is the only way to be sure that clearing your full cache on reinstall.

And you only need to send out notes that haven't synced to the server - if you want to preserve them. If you can't access them (or don't have any, which is more likely because you're crashing and can't even open the program), you can choose to skip that part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

The instructions sent to you by support likely ask you to install via iTunes, and not Over the air (from your phone itself). If you install over the air, you leave behind certain files that could be causing the crash. Installing via iTunes is the only way to be sure that clearing your full cache on reinstall.

Heather, are you saying that if I delete Evernote from my iPhone, and then reboot, there will still be some Evernote files remaining on my iPhone?

• Level 5*

There may still be some files stuck way deep in your iPhone OS cache, yes.

Sounds like Windows. How could this happen in an Apple product??? :ph34r:

Reminds me of sleeping on the beach. Maybe a long shower would help. B)

@neverforget if you can remember the last things you added/updated in EN... Login to EN on the web and check they are there, if they are then I'm sure it will be OK.

@jmichael @heather

What support send you in my experience are these instructions....

If you have any "Pending" notes, click the "Pending" tab (iPhone/iPod) or go to the "Pending Synchronization" section (iPad).

1. Copy the content of each note to your iOS Mail program and email them to your Evernote email address (do NOT attempt to email via Evernote).

2. Check your Camera Roll to ensure that any pending Image Notes have been auto-saved. If not, use the built in iOS "Screenshot" function to preserve Image Notes to your Camera Roll.

3. Uninstall Evernote from your device.

4. Reboot your device.*

5. Download the latest version of Evernote via the AppStore.

* Reboot isn't really an iPhone expression I'm not sure whether they mean power off and on (restart) or reset?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello...

I'm having the same problem. Can someone please confirm, IF I delete the app on my iphone, will I lose its contents? (I have it synched on my computer and ipad, so I can access contents there).

I just want to make sure that if I delete it and re-install it, that I won't lose the data that is already synched? (I would be devastated if my entire evernote disappears across my devices!).

Thank you for any guidance you can provide. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, estanole said:

Can someone please confirm, IF I delete the app on my iphone, will I lose its contents? (I have it synched on my computer and ipad, so I can access contents there).

If you haven't set up offline notebooks, and you synced; Evernote maintains little data on you phone.
The master version is maintained on the servers, and you won't lose data by reinstalling 

Archived