Upgrade to Premium via iTunes Not Working

• Level 5*

Thank-you. I love Evernote. It has streamlined my workflow.

Keep up the fantastic work! 

support ticket #297560.

Thanks for posting the ticket number. That ought to help the staff connect your report here with the internal support request and make sure everything gets taken care of as quickly as possible. Let us know how it turns out.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paid to upgrade my free account to premium via iTunes and 3 days later, I'm still not upgraded.

I have complained to iTunes and to Evernote support and the issue has still not been resolved.

If anyone has a solution, I would really appreciate it.

Hi there. I am having the same issue. I raised a ticket the day before yesterday but have so far received no response. My ticket number is 299501. Any help would be appreciated.

We should have a tech working on and replied to your ticket.  Thanks!

I have the same problem, infact I have been paying for Evernote premium via iTunes subscription for the last 3 months and it has still not upgraded to premium. I emailed support a couple months back and again yesterday. Please let me know if there is anything that you can do as I am a very frustrated consumer. Thank you

Same here. Submitted a ticket over the weekend. Luckily I had a Moleskine code I hadn't cashed in to get me through the weekend (since Tech Support isn't available on weekends). Any chance I can get some credit for the time?

Thanks!

----------

:: Steven "Doc" Combs, Ph.D.

:: http://www.docstechnotes.com

:: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/DocsTechNotes

Ticket Number:  323733

I received a email stating that they are looking into it 5 days after I submitted my 3 paid receipts. I am very frustrated that I am STILL not upgraded. I am to the point where I may take my business elsewhere..... 

I've flagged this for our payments/refunds tech and they should reach out to you tomorrow, sorry about the delay.

I paid via iTunes for the Evernote Upgrade but nothing has changed since then. My evernote still says it is free. I reported the issue but I have only gotten the ticket number (#327507) and heard nothing more from the customer support. Does anybody know how to deal with this problem in a more effective manner? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi - it seems to take a few days for the purchase to work through Apple's systems to Evernote,  so you may already have found your answer.  Also 'Free' support requests (which Evernote thinks you are) get lower priority than us snooty Premium members' requests,  so you might have to wait a little while for a response.  If you haven't had one please confirm back here and we'll flag your account for Admin's attention.

Hi! So glad I came across this. I thought I was the only one with this issue. I submitted a ticket. Would you kindly follow up on it? Thanks!

I purchased through iTunes Subscriptions. My previous monthly subscription had expired a few months back and now decided to get the yearly subscription a few days ago and until today, it still shows that I am using a free account. I have received my iTunes receipt.

My ticket number: Ticket# 341108

I've had the same issue!  Turns out I have been paid up for the Premium version for the past 12 months and have never been able to use it!  Wasn't until I checked all the way back through recepits I realise (I just thought the transaction hadn't gone through!)  Now I've paig AGAIN and STILL am showing as the free version.  My job relies on me being able to access it ASAP.  I've notice people stating their ticket number... would someone enlighten me as to what this is?  I can't even seem to find a contact (ironically unless you're a premium member!).

Thanks in advance

I've had the same issue!  Turns out I have been paid up for the Premium version for the past 12 months and have never been able to use it!  Wasn't until I checked all the way back through recepits I realise (I just thought the transaction hadn't gone through!)  Now I've paig AGAIN and STILL am showing as the free version.  My job relies on me being able to access it ASAP.  I've notice people stating their ticket number... would someone enlighten me as to what this is?  I can't even seem to find a contact (ironically unless you're a premium member!).

Thanks in advance

Ticket number refers to a support ticket. Oddly enough, it's found from the main web page by clicking "support home" at the bottom. Or there's a link in my signature.

You should have received a reply yesterday evening from a tech, I believe we have you sorted out.  Thanks for posting!

As an aside, we've added some updates to our support filters for Premium payment issues, so I'm hoping we'll catch way more and automatically escalate without having to escalate here on the forums or social media. 

I opened support ticket #348652 because I have the same problem as all of these poor people.

A few things I would like to offer as feedback:

• I have been amazed by Evernote free for as long as I've used it. I have recommended it to so many friends that I should probably get a full time salary from Evernote at this point ;) And as soon as I go premium and pay for the service, I get frustrated. First step into the payment scheme, bad vibe. In terms of UX this is probably something you want to avoid at all costs. 
  • Researching the problem made me realize (via this page) that it has impacted many people over close to 4 years now. So not only is it a bad experience for any person who loves Evernote so much that *they are willing to pay for it* but it is also a problem that Evernote has not focused on to the point of killing it for good. Does Evernote really want a 6-page forum post describing failure to meet customers' expectations as the first Google result when people search "evernote premium iap"?
  • I realize that this forum discussion highlights the responsiveness of some of the Evernote staff on the board (although the 29 jan post is unanswered) but ask yourself this question: Would you rather have a good track record of responding to problems? Or no track record of IAP problems?
  • Maybe the problem is with Apple and the App Store. But an Evernote customer would gladly respond "not my concern, just fix it". Apple is not offering subscriptions to Evernote. It is Evernote which is offering them via IAPs.

It turned into a bit of a rant but that might be the IT Support Manager in me taking over :P 

Sorry all. We do check the tickets that are posted here, just missed giving individual responses to each.  I will say that I've been using every post here to track whether or not we're appropriately flagging them in the queue for immediate response, and we've improved our support filters thanks to many of the reports here. I'm continuing to spot check that the filters are working, and so far things are looking quite a bit better.

Thanks for the considered thoughts Piste. It's definitely an ongoing issue and something we are continuing to look into. As you say, a good support response isn't really a "fix" for this issue, as problems during an initial payment will immediately impact your experience and possibly jeopardize future payments.

The same happened to me today. Ticket # 361133.

I ended up filing a complaint with ITunes, who never responded to me. Then I went ahead and canceled the iTunes subscription version, and bought it directly through Evernote, and that worked fine. For me the loss was just $5. But I still hope to get that back from iTunes. Evernote essentially told me it's iTunes problem.

• Level 5*

I ended up filing a complaint with ITunes, who never responded to me. Then I went ahead and canceled the iTunes subscription version, and bought it directly through Evernote, and that worked fine. For me the loss was just $5. But I still hope to get that back from iTunes. Evernote essentially told me it's iTunes problem.

Hi. Could you post the exchange you had with Evernote support? This sounds a lot different than what I expected they would say. In addition, if you cannot get the refund, I would think that Evernote might (it never hurts to ask) give you the month ($5) of Premium (or the equivalent in Evernote points).

Hi Adil--double checked your Premium upgrade, and it looks to have taken effect.  Sometimes Premium upgrades are delayed, but no more than a few hours.

Sydney--looks like support has taken care of you and you'll need to go through the process again to set up a recurring subscription.

Patrick--I've gone into your submitted ticket and added 10 points to your Evernote account, which is equivalent to a month of Premium.  That's essentially equivalent to $5. While it doesn't directly replace the fiver, it's the least we could do.

GM--Patrick's ticket came in slightly before we switched up filters on this--users who run into iTunes Premium upgrade issues should start receiving Premium level support (and Premium activation) sooner now. The iTunes payment bug does impact a very, very, very low % of users--it just happens to be that even a fraction of a % of a large number means we'll see a few cases like this a week. If you're asking about Evernote support's response here and not the iTunes response, we can't actually give refunds for iTunes purchases--all payments or changes to payments must be handled directly through iTunes. As for where the bug resides (if it's iTunes or us) I'd have to follow up with our payment people for that one. We certainly haven't been able to resolve this yet on our end.

Ticket# 371034

I upgraded to Premium on my iPad. I received confirmation emails from both Apple and Evernote. Evernote web recognizes my premium status, but the iPad app, where I need offline access for an upcoming, still says my account is Free.

I know it's the weekend, but I have a flight on Monday and need offline!

When this happens here's my suggestion:  delete the version you have from your computer (app store version, etc).  Delete cookies, internet history, etc.  (shouldn't matter though).  Reboot.  Do a direct download from Evernote.  Register as a premium user.  

If that doesn't work, continue with a support ticket.  Just my 2 cents.  It's really not worth much more either ;)  unless it works.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ticket# 396576 - Upgraded to premium, used the button on the ipad/iTunes but my ipad app hasn't changed to premium, still showing free user. V frustrating.

This email confirms your purchase of the following subscription:

Name of Subscription: Evernote Premium

Name of Application: Evernote

Content Provider: Evernote

Date of purchase: 08/03/14

Subscription Period: 1 year

Price: $46.99

Payment Method: iTunes account

The subscription period will automatically renew unless you turn it off no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period. To cancel auto-renewal or manage your subscriptions, click below and sign in.

Developer's Support Page or Terms of Use: http://evernote.com/contact/support

Go to iTunes.

Regards,

The iTunes Store team

Welcome to Evernote Premium.

We’re so glad to have you.

Now that you’re Premium, you can enjoy benefits including:

Peace of mind. Set Offline Notebooks to access notes without an internet connection on your mobile device, and add a Passcode Lock to keep your notes secure.

Productivity. Share editable notebooks with family and colleagues to collaborate on work projects, travel planning, recipe collections, and more.

Searchability. Search through all of your documents, including Office docs, PDFs, and images, to find what you’re looking for, fast.

Flexibility. Upload more photos, files, and audio every month with your larger upload limit.

These are just a few reasons you’ll love Evernote Premium. If you’re ever stumped and need help, Premium Support is standing by.

Learn more about Evernote Premium

- The Evernote Team

Your Premium subscription is set to automatically renew on March 8, 2015. You can cancel auto-renewal from the Settings page on Evernote Web.

Ticket# 396576 - Upgraded to premium, used the button on the ipad/iTunes but my ipad app hasn't changed to premium, still showing free user. V frustrating.

Name of Subscription: Evernote Premium

Name of Application: Evernote

Content Provider: Evernote

Date of purchase: 08/03/14

Subscription Period: 1 year

Price: $46.99

Payment Method: iTunes account

The subscription period will automatically renew unless you turn it off no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period. To cancel auto-renewal or manage your subscriptions, click below and sign in.

Developer's Support Page or Terms of Use: http://evernote.com/contact/support

Go to iTunes.

Regards,

The iTunes Store team

Did you sync your iPad after getting premium? Did you log on to the web client to see initially shows the account as premium?

• Level 5*

It's easily done,  but I'm now confused.  Has everyone now received their Premium access?  AFAIR nothing magical happens on the change - can't remember the process exactly,  but I'd imagine the easy way to check is to view your upload limit.  If you can see 1GB less uploads,  your account is premium.  (Check via Evernote.com to be absolutely sure.)  

It doesn't matter what device you're using,  the web account settings trump any local information you see - make sure you sync your device to get the latest details.

If anyone is still stuck at Free,  please raise a support ticket (see below) and post the number here.  We'll flag your case for a bit of TLC.

Edit:   :)

Just had the same problem.  Renewed to premium yesterday and was still free today.  I removed my Mac version and then reinstalled and it was then recognized.    In between I did install directly from Evernote but when I launched it was trying to copy notes over from the app store version, which I didn't like and was taking forever, so I force quit uninstalled and then reinstalled app store version and - voila - I was premium.  Shouldn't have to have done this and I really wish Evernote would address this issue.  I see this dating back years.  In any case - I am at premium again.

• Level 5*

Just had the same problem.  Renewed to premium yesterday and was still free today.  I removed my Mac version and then reinstalled and it was then recognized.    In between I did install directly from Evernote but when I launched it was trying to copy notes over from the app store version, which I didn't like and was taking forever, so I force quit uninstalled and then reinstalled app store version and - voila - I was premium.  Shouldn't have to have done this and I really wish Evernote would address this issue.  I see this dating back years.  In any case - I am at premium again.

Just pay through the Evernote site. Subscribing through the App Store just adds unnecessary middleman confusion.

• Level 5

A known issue is that Premium status is not reflected in the UI immediately. Before you go to the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling, please try looking at your account info (Evernote->Account Info…). That should refresh your status. 

Anyone

Sorry about that, we generally aren't available weekends. I've gone ahead and upgraded you, and flagged for our payments technician to check out, since you have run into this payment issue a few times at this point.

I purchased the upgrade twice by credit card and once via Itunes, but it still has not loaded.  I am still listed as a free user.  I also attempted a support ticket, but the issue selection box does not work. I tried on a few different devices and the support ticket page is not functional!  This is a real problem!!!  I cannot find any avenue of support after paying $150 and a lot of wasted time--not very efficient or customer friendly!

Same problem here. My iTunes payment did not allow me to get granted with a Premium account.
I opened a ticket, but as I'm not considered a Premium member (which I've been 4 years), my request is not a priority :(

Ticket #418251

Regards,
Sophie

• 3 weeks later...

I reached my free sync limit and decided I like the app and should upgrade in-app to the monthly premium membership. I authenticated my purchase via iTunes as the app guided me too. 

However, it has been an hour and the app does not recognize my change in membership status and a pop-up continuously tells me I can't sync and should upgrade now.  How can I get the app to change my member status and let me sync up to 1 GB?  

The chat feature on Evernote's website doesn't open a dialogue and simply emails my problem.

What is my next step???

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi - iTunes is a third-party provider as far as Evernote is concerned,  and you're always better off joining directly rather than through a remote provider,  the reason being it takes time for the message to get through to Evernote and switch up your account.  If the change hasn't gone through in 24 hours,  your only option is either to wait 'til Monday and use a chat session when Support opens (Pacific Time in the US) or raise a ticket now and post the number here,  so we can flag it for you when the Admins are on duty.

Just to update, it took 1-2 hours but the app now recognizes my Premium status and hasn't given me trouble since.  I really like organizing my thoughts with this program.  I am a relatively new iPad user. 

Thanks again for the forum support gazumped!

You should have received a reply yesterday evening from a tech, I believe we have you sorted out.  Thanks for posting!

As an aside, we've added some updates to our support filters for Premium payment issues, so I'm hoping we'll catch way more and automatically escalate without having to escalate here on the forums or social media. 

Ticket# 447642 SAME PROBLEM URGENT

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue.  Please help.

Ticket# 539899

When did you submit that support ticket? Evernote support works weekdays only, and yesterday was apparently a US holiday, so if you submitted it late friday evening or any time during the weekend, today is the VERY first day (pacific time too, no less) that ANYONE at support would be looking at it. 

I am having the same issue.  Please help.

Ticket# 539899

Because you'll show up as "free" in the support system and therefore be at the bottom of the queue, I went ahead and flagged this for staff attention even though I'm not sure when you submitted your support request. Hopefully that will get someone on it a bit faster than waiting in the "free" line. 

Once again this month I have renewed my membership.... I have the receipt that I did this on march 5th and I don't have premium status anymore.

This is getting ridiculous... Can someone please look into this

My evernote says I'm not premium.... I paid again, and it says my sub will renew June 5 and that I am currently a premium member. This is about the last time I mess around with evernote. It is not worth the hassle I have had with it.

Can someone anyone take a look and figure out why this happens month in and month out

Beware Premium through iPad in-app purchase.. I think I've been charged numerous times. Wish me luck getting my money back.... Not a good way to start with an app, except for the company selling it. In a short sighted kind of way....

Beware Premium through iPad in-app purchase.. I think I've been charged numerous times. Wish me luck getting my money back.... Not a good way to start with an app, except for the company selling it. In a short sighted kind of way....

If you have actually been over-charged, you'll certainly get your money back. No need for luck, just a support ticket. See my signature. 

If you have actually been over-charged, you'll certainly get your money back. No need for luck, just a support ticket. See my signature.

I opened a support ticket over a week ago. Still nothing and it says I'm not a premium member. But look itunes once again was charged with my evernote......

This ***** sucks.

Support ticket 556027

I've flagged this for staff attention.

Hopefully this will get you some attention and get you in the premium support queue where you belong.

Keep in mind that the weekend will have slowed things down since support is only in the office weekdays, as such, response times are always calculated in business days. 

Either way, you're flagged and should hopefully get some attention soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

Paid for premium through iTunes.. still waiting for the upgrade to kick in. Tried signing in and out, uninstalling.. it won't work. I can't find my order ticket from iTunes either :( It's nowhere in the email I got from iTunes..

• Ex Employees

Paid for Premium 3 days ago, from within the app. Nothig yet except the receipt from iTunes.

Ticket # 622276

Thanks

/J

You should receive a response from the support team shortly requesting a copy of the iTunes receipt :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Upgraded via iTunes on the iPad and it does not show as premium. Several days ago (they blur now, but I believe on Sunday, August 3rd) I submitted a support request as detailed in this thread and have heard nothing. I included all info from the receipt (had to log into my purchases on the app store with the computer, but that was just a pain, not a problem).

I'm trying to get chat support, but guess what...Evernote will only load in Italian on my computer. Fortunately, I read Italian very well. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I click to change the language it reverts to Italian and chat support is only in, you guessed it, English.

Yes, the problem is probably that on Firefox Italian is listed as one of my language preferences for webpage display (the third one after English and Latin). However, I don't think I should have to remove ALL of my other language preferences just to get Evernote to play nice with Firefox. I'm starting to massively regret this whole adventure which is supposed to be simplifying my life. I guess now I will go try a different web browser. UGH! Why am I spending so much time troubleshooting something that is supposed to SIMPLIFY and ORGANIZE my life!?!

Further information: I was able to get things to load in English on Safari. I re-entered all of the information about my ticket that I did three days ago and clicked chat instead of submit request....

I got a new page (yes, the browser opened an identical new page) with the same blank ticket form.

So, you'll charge me for premium membership but I am stuck at the bottom of a tiered support system because my problem is that you don't recognize the premium membership for which I alreaady paid?

This thread makes it clear there is a known problem.

Bad business, guys, really. I'm going to see about cancelling via itunes and finding another organizer. I am trying to organize packing for a trip in less than a week and I've lost too many valuable hours on this non-product already.

Well, CREDIT to Evernote. They were trying to contact me. However, they were trying to contact me via my .mac email address because I submitted the request through the APP rather thatn through the email address I registered with (which is the one I use regularly). I do not give out the .mac address and don't check it very often and assumed that they would use the email address I gave them to use so this one is my fault. Never assume. Just never assume.

Thank you for trying, Evernote support.

This is the last post I can make until tomorrow, but I wanted to update you all and say that I now have two separate support people helping me. WAY TO GO Evernote. I won't take back everything I said because, well, it happened and it was that frustrating. However, I have to give massive credit to those people who got on the ball to help. I still want to see those issues fixed and I'm more confident it will happen. Hopefully I will have more good news to report on the solving of these problems later.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid for evernote premium on august 10th. I have waited 7 days for my account to upgrade to premium but it is yet to happen. I read a number of forums and apparently this is a common issue. I purchased a year subscription from iTunes for $44.99. I submitted a ticket for someone to contact me about the problem (Ticket# 688194). Apparently it can take a while for my ticket to even be addressed since I am a "free user". This is extremely frustrating considering   I have already been charged the $44.99 for my "premium membership". I am going to wait 3 more days for the problem to be resolved and then I am going to dispute the charge on my credit card!

I have the same issue as everybody else in this thread. Upgraded to premium 16.08, nothing happened, and I registered a ticket via your support page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name of Subscription: Evernote Premium

Name of Application: Evernote

Content Provider: Evernote

Date of purchase: 16/08/14

Subscription Period: 1 year

Price: 315,00 kr

Payment Method: iTunes account 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ticket# 687450

I got a reply from your support staff:

"Thank you for contacting Evernote customer support. We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in theEvernote forums."

I am now very confused as I thought the right process was to send an enquiry to your support staff?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Regards

Alex

• Ex Employees

I have the same issue as everybody else in this thread. Upgraded to premium 16.08, nothing happened, and I registered a ticket via your support page.

Name of Subscription: Evernote Premium

Name of Application: Evernote

Content Provider: Evernote

Date of purchase: 16/08/14

Subscription Period: 1 year

Price: 315,00 kr

Payment Method: iTunes account 

Ticket# 687450

I got a reply from your support staff:

"Thank you for contacting Evernote customer support. We are unable to personally answer your inquiry. I'm closing this request today and encourage you to find the answer to your inquiry via a search on the Evernote Support page or with our active user community in theEvernote forums."

I am now very confused as I thought the right process was to send an enquiry to your support staff?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Regards

Alex

Looks like your ticket got caught in a filter. We apologize for the mix up, Alex. 

I've escalated this ticket to our Commerce team. They will be in contact via email shortly. 

Since this thread has obtained a good deal of gravity, I'd like to provide some keywords that we use to filter and snag Premium upgrade issues from what we see daily. If you run into Premium upgrade issues, using these keywords will help us find your ticket and fix your upgrade issue faster. Once a commerce team member grabs it, you should be taken care of shortly after providing proof of purchase.

Tickets with "credit card", "subscription", "payment", "billing", "transaction", and "declined" and "paypal" and "iTunes" are all strings we use to identify Premium payment issues. If you are using this language, chances are your ticket will be picked up by a rep who is trained to deal with your particular commerce issue.

Same issue.  Purchased in-app upgrade to premium this morning.  Still reflects free membership.  App Store and personal account reflect the purchase.  Put in a help request with customer support (Ticket# 696178).  Not a terribly good first impression.  

• Ex Employees

Same issue.  Purchased in-app upgrade to premium this morning.  Still reflects free membership.  App Store and personal account reflect the purchase.  Put in a help request with customer support (Ticket# 696178).  Not a terribly good first impression.  

You should be contacted by the Commerce team shortly!

Posted · Hidden by charboyd, August 29, 2014 - duplicate
Hidden by charboyd, August 29, 2014 - duplicate

I have same issue I upgraded to premium and went aboard, but could not use the offline features. Please can my account be upgraded ASAP.

Also can I get a part refund? Since I upgraded as I have lost time on my yearly subscription.

• Ex Employees

I have same issue I upgraded to premium and went aboard, but could not use the offline features. Please can my account be upgraded ASAP.

Also can I get a part refund? Since I upgraded as I have lost time on my yearly subscription.

If you have not already, please create a support ticket at www.evernote.com/support and message back your ticket #

Archived