(Archived) Using EN Web Only

So, my EXB file was large and was slowing my computer down as well as locking-up EN desktop. I defragged, but no change. I uninstalled the desktop client and delete all the files and am using only the web-based EN. The computer is working great now. I learned that the Web Clipper works without the desktop client - awesome! Now, I just need to figure out how to easily get files to EN web. Emailing them to EN is okay, but I am curious if there is another way, It looks like I can drag a file onto the notebook, which is good too. I am trying Wappwolf from the trunk, but that will only allow transfer from a cloud based storage to EN - I do not necessarily want the file also in my cloud storage. I am rambling now, but need to say that EN web I feel is superior to using the desktop client. It seems the desktop client is cumbersome and starts bogging down after a while.

• Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for posting. The Web client is nice, and I prefer some of its features, but there are also a considerable number of drawbacks to using it, not the least of which is the lack of offline capabilities. I strongly recommend that you start a support ticket with Evernote so that they can figure out why you are experiencing those problems, because that is not the expected behavior (see my signature below for a link).

On a related note, I have been hoping that Evernote will bring the offline/online toggle for notebooks from the mobile to the desktop clients, because my problem isn't that the system is bogged down, but that my Evernote database is eating up more than 10% of my computer's storage. By this time next year, it will be double or triple that...

• Level 5*

I've got 13 or 14 GB now (Mac). I'll up that another 500MB tonight :)

The large databases are a bit of a pain even beyond the issues you mentioned or the storage ones I brought up. If you ever have to rebuild your database for whatever reason, you can expect it to take several days. By this time next year, it will take me a week or more. It isn't my data speed (I've got a nice data rate now), but the speed at which Evernote sends it down the pipe.

I don't think we are alone in having big external brains. I am sure Evernote has some updates to the service in store for us soon.

Hi. Thanks for posting. The Web client is nice, and I prefer some of its features, but there are also a considerable number of drawbacks to using it, not the least of which is the lack of offline capabilities. I strongly recommend that you start a support ticket with Evernote so that they can figure out why you are experiencing those problems, because that is not the expected behavior (see my signature below for a link).

On a related note, I have been hoping that Evernote will bring the offline/online toggle for notebooks from the mobile to the desktop clients, because my problem isn't that the system is bogged down, but that my Evernote database is eating up more than 10% of my computer's storage. By this time next year, it will be double or triple that...

I would suggest you reinstall the desktop app if only to have a fairly current local backup, even if you only sync it once a week/day (depending upon how much you add/change each day.) Nothing against Evernote, but I don't feel comfortable with any cloud-only service with important data. Plus, if for whatever reason, you can't get into EN, you can always still use the desktop version. Seriously, 17 gigs is no big deal by today's standards. I'd have to say deleting EN from your desktop b/c it's eating up a few gigs is like saving a few pennies that end up costing you dollars.

• Level 5*

I would suggest you reinstall the desktop app if only to have a fairly current local backup, even if you only sync it once a week/day (depending upon how much you add/change each day.) Nothing against Evernote, but I don't feel comfortable with any cloud-only service with important data. Plus, if for whatever reason, you can't get into EN, you can always still use the desktop version. Seriously, 17 gigs is no big deal by today's standards. I'd have to say deleting EN from your desktop b/c it's eating up a few gigs is like saving a few pennies that end up costing you dollars.

17 GB is more than 15% of my disk. Windows people do not know the pain we Apple folk go through here with our tiny (by comparison) flash memory. Yes, I know I could pay the equivalent of a brand new Microsoft ultrabook to get a few hundred more GBs. But, I won't. So, I currently run a very tight ship, and move everything off of my computer that I can.

What you said is correct, though. Even if I had everything on my Mac online, I'd have my database downloaded and synced on another computer somewhere. And, I'd have that backed up, just in case.

A database optimize required was a more likely cause of your performance problem than a defrag needed.

And yeah. The Web client is getting very good, but, the Windows desktop client (the one I am familiar with) is much better. Features such as the fully configurable list view make a huge difference in productivitiy.

Archived