(Archived) Creating a bibliography from an Evernote account

Hello Evernoters

I have a question about how to create a bibliography from an Evernote accout. I produce research for a book being written by my boss. The book is now drafted and the time has come to produce a bibliography. I was thinking I would just visit every source in Evernote and stick it into Excel, but it seems that there must be a quicker way of doing this. Is there any way of linking Evernote to endnote, or another application, and producing a bibliography?

Ideally I need a bibliogrpahy that can be searched uder several different parameters (i.e. type of source, date produced, how it was referenced etc). It would also be very useful if the software could generate a word document style bibliograhy, for insertion into the end of the book manuscript.

Any thoughts from the Evernote community would be very helpful.

• Level 5*

Hello Evernoters

I have a question about how to create a bibliography from an Evernote accout. I produce research for a book being written by my boss. The book is now drafted and the time has come to produce a bibliography. I was thinking I would just visit every source in Evernote and stick it into Excel, but it seems that there must be a quicker way of doing this. Is there any way of linking Evernote to endnote, or another application, and producing a bibliography?

Ideally I need a bibliogrpahy that can be searched uder several different parameters (i.e. type of source, date produced, how it was referenced etc). It would also be very useful if the software could generate a word document style bibliograhy, for insertion into the end of the book manuscript.

Any thoughts from the Evernote community would be very helpful.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I know of no Evernote function that could accomplish what you want. I also know of no third-party integration that could do it either. I am afraid what you are looking for is bibliographic software, which is specifically tailored for researchers.

Personally, I have one note that holds all of my bibliographic information. I work primarily with CMS (Chicago Manual of Style), and I have everything in bibliographic and footnote formats. When I need to cite something, I just copy / paste into my research. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. And, because automated software regularly bungles the job, I don't have to go back through everything and tidy it up again. When I need a specific kind of bibliography for a research project (maybe all of the works related to a particular sub-topic), I just copy / paste from the master bibliography into another note made for the sub-topic. For instance, in my case, a bibliography of works on feudalism in premodern Japan.

If you want to make this really powerful, you can add note links to each bibliographic entry. One link to the original source, which I have uploaded into Evernote. And, a second link to my reading notes on each source. I've basically manually created what bibliographic software does, except I find that in the end, having it all in one place linked up this way with everything else is far more powerful than relying on a specialized software program.

Back to your problem: you'll either have to purchase specialized software like Endnote, or do it manually. As long as you've only got less than a couple thousand entries, I'd go the manual route.

Hello GrumpyMonkey

Thank you for being so helpful. Your idea of creating a linked master evernote account sounds like a good bet. I guess my hopes of finding a 'magic bullet' piece of software that could save a lot of time and bother were a bit overoptimistic!

• Level 5*

Hello GrumpyMonkey

Thank you for being so helpful. Your idea of creating a linked master evernote account sounds like a good bet. I guess my hopes of finding a 'magic bullet' piece of software that could save a lot of time and bother were a bit overoptimistic!

Glad I could help. Sometimes there are magic bullets, but most of the time the return on investment of time, money, and effort turns out to be a lot lower than expected. I've worked with all of the major bibliographic software, and at least for my field, it hasn't been very useful. In other fields it might go better, and of course, software improves over time. It's tough to go wrong with a text file holding your bibliography, though :)

Hi NCNF,

Although Evernote could be used for whatever you want, there are other specific software for that task. An example is Zotero (www.zotero.org) which is free. Zotero integrates with Word (Mac & Windows), and maintains bibliographic references arranged in the order they are cited, something that you can not do with Evernote.

Just my humble opinion,

Raul

Archived