[Request] Create new note and note subject from selected text

eddyzzzzz

Idea

33 replies to this idea

Its worth also pointing out that the manual workaround required at present... 

ie. select and copy the text, create the new note manually, paste the text as the new note title, copy the new note link, go back to the existing note, select the text again, paste the note link as hyperlink 

... is all the more annoyingly slow at present because evernote needs to synchronise with the web server every single time, presumably because note links have become web-based. 

cheers,

david

Hey David, I set out on a (personal) mission to see how quickly and efficiently I could do what you've described above... learned some keyboard shortcuts in the process. Here's what I boiled it down to (on Windows desktop):

1. Select text
  2. Ctrl-C-N-V (Copy, New note, Paste - Note title is created automatically) 
  3. Copy new note link
  4. Return to original note & select original text
  5. Ctrl-K-V, Enter (Create hyperlink, Paste, Enter) 

So now I'm all dressed up and I've got nowhere to go, haha! Anyways, I throw in my lot here too. It would be nice to:

1. Select text
  2. Right click
  3. New Note Hyperlink

The thought does come to mind, though... that even if we had this feature, we would still often need to create hyperlinks to existing notes manually. This feature would therefore be great - part of the time, at least.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, terry92010 said:

This seems like such a good idea - surprised another year has gone by with no action.

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

There are currently 2 votes

• Level 5*

Perhaps not optimal, but you can use something like PhaseExpress in Windows to take highlighted text (inside or outside of EN) and create a new note in EN, complete with tags.  Once you get used to the PE syntax fairly easy on a one note at a time basis.  (for example I created a hotkey that does a search in EN based upon whatever text I have highlighted) 

Not sure you can get the hyperlink back in the master note with this method, however.  But if you have a tag for the project and precede your actions with something like !, then a tag:project tag:!* search will yield all of the tasks for the project.  Workarounds for sure, FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, antoinebugleboy said:

I can't believe this request has languished for 6 years without a response.

I moved the discussion to the feature request forum.
Users can indicate their support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.

The post linked below seems to work well

• Like 1

I second that!

A bonus would be if the selected text turned into a link to the created note (created by the selected text that is).

I'm new to this forum so please let me know if there's a better way to "vote" for a feature request that to say "I second that" like a goober.

• Like 3

This is available already using pretty much any of our clipping tools.

With Evernote for Windows/Mac installed, you can simply highlight your selected text then:

If you're within a browser, right-click and Add Selected Text to Evernote. (And that links back to the original page you linked from).

If you're not, Ctrl-C and then "Paste to Evernote" with the platform-specific shortcut (it's different for Mac/Windows, and user customizable.)

• Like 3

Thanks heather. This is almost what I'm after. I'd like Evernote to be able to replicate Zim desktop wiki. There, I can highlight a bit of text in Zim, and click a 'link' button on the taskbar. A new note is created, named as per the highlighted text, and the highlighted text becomes the link. This is really quick and easy for creating a tree of notes and index pages

Hope it might be possible. Many thanks

Roger

• Like 1

Hi heather,

Thanks for replying! The methods you mention are OK, but not what's desired here. The second method is closer, but requires you to first copy the text. Also, it doesn't create the link in the original note. Hopefully this request gets implemented in the future :) Thanks again for taking time.

• Like 3

There have been lots of improvements to Evernote, but this feature would still be useful. That is, from within EN desktop, the ability to create a new note from a selection within an existing note in one operation, rather than copying and pasting. 

• Like 1

Agreed. I just thought of this feature myself and found this thread by searching to see if others had already requested it. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult a feature to create, and it would save me a LOT of time when I'm organizing my ideas and working with checklists. 

Yes this is a feature I'm really missing from ZimWiki. To reiterate what others have said before, I'm looking to recreate this behavior:

1. Select a key phrase in an existing Note (say the name of a project you've been assigned).

2. Click on a single "link" button and/or right-click > "Create & link to new Note"

3. A new Note will be created whose Subject matches the selected text, the selected text will become a hyperlink linking to the new note.

• Like 1

+ another 1 

I agree that this would be an excellent feature - I too came across this by searching to see if it had already been requested. 

I'm just getting into putting links all over the place in my notes and this would be a real time saver.

And I definitely think the best implementation would be one in which the new note was automatically linked to the text that had been selected, and titled by default with that text. 

David

• Like 1

Its worth also pointing out that the manual workaround required at present... 

ie. select and copy the text, create the new note manually, paste the text as the new note title, copy the new note link, go back to the existing note, select the text again, paste the note link as hyperlink 

... is all the more annoyingly slow at present because evernote needs to synchronise with the web server every single time, presumably because note links have become web-based. 

cheers,

david

• Like 1

+1 for me

I use lists, sometimes those lists are just that, a list of text, but when I want more detail in my list it would be good to hyperlink that list item to a new or existing note.

So, for me a solution cold look like (in evernote) select text, right click, link to note (list of notes appear at the top of the list New Note...)
Clicking this would open a new note with the selected text as the title.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Another +1 for this request.  I like to organize my work projects with a single Master Plan note that I keep in a Projects Notebook. As part of this, I have Tasks/Action Items. I keep my Tasks in an Action Pending Notebook and use Tags for time scheduling (Now, Next, Soon, etc). It would save a TON of time if I could type out a list of Action Items, highlight each one separately, and directly create a new Note in my Actions Pending Notebook from that, and have it automatically change this to a hyperlink in the Master Plan note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jeremy Hanke said:

I like to organize my work projects with a single Master Plan note that I keep in a Projects Notebook. As part of this, I have Tasks/Action Items. I keep my Tasks in an Action Pending Notebook and use Tags for time scheduling

Jeremy, as you have found managing projects & tasks with Evernote alone can be a challenge.

You might take a look at IQTell.  It does everything you are asking for, and much more.  It is a great, inexpensive, Project/Task manager that tightly integrates with Evernote.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Hanke said:

Another +1 for this request.  I like to organize my work projects with a single Master Plan note that I keep in a Projects Notebook. As part of this, I have Tasks/Action Items. I keep my Tasks in an Action Pending Notebook and use Tags for time scheduling (Now, Next, Soon, etc). It would save a TON of time if I could type out a list of Action Items, highlight each one separately, and directly create a new Note in my Actions Pending Notebook from that, and have it automatically change this to a hyperlink in the Master Plan note.

Jeremy,

This is exactly the type of thing I'd like it use it for as well. It seems like it should be a fairly easy function for them to add to the right-click menu, and like you said, it would save a ton of time. I'd really rather not have to use another application just to have this function available.

Hyperlinking: Creating a new note based on some selected text and create a link to it in it's place. This set of mostly keyboard shortcuts works for me on Windows App V10.9.10  Thanks to Frank.dg above for most of this.

1. Select text
  2. Ctrl-C-N (Copy Highlighted Text, Create New note, Cursor in body of New note)
  3. [Up Arrow] (Move to Title), Ctrl-V (Paste - Note Title is Pasted in) - (I seem to recall an option to begin editing in the Title of a New note. Classic version, I think.)
  4. Copy new (internal) note link Ctrl+Alt-L
  5. Return to original note Alt-[Back Arrow]
  6. Select original text
  7. Ctrl-V (Paste - Replacing text with Hyperlink) 

I would love for this to be a one keyboard shortcut thing! It seems like an obvious operation to automate for anyone who's worked with a wiki.

-- John
  • Like 2

In Microsoft OneNote all you have to do is put square brackets at the beginning & end of any text and as soon as youve typed the last bracket  [ ] youve instantly got a new note with the title of whatever was between the brackets & the hyperlink automatically put to the original word that you put the [   ] around. So So good

• Evernote Expert

You've added a request to a thread that, with one exception, pre-existed the current version of Evernote. So it has been long requested but nothing has appeared.  I suspect that this is one of the nice to have things that hasn't, and probably isn't going to, get to the top of the to do list for sometime. ;)

But please put your case to the Evernote developers via a support ticket on the in app Feedback option to be sure your request gets attention.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, John Jablonski said:

Hyperlinking: Creating a new note based on some selected text and create a link to it in it's place. This set of mostly keyboard shortcuts works for me on Windows App V10.9.10  Thanks to Frank.dg above for most of this.

1. Select text
  2. Ctrl-C-N (Copy Highlighted Text, Create New note, Cursor in body of New note)
  3. [Up Arrow] (Move to Title), Ctrl-V (Paste - Note Title is Pasted in) - (I seem to recall an option to begin editing in the Title of a New note. Classic version, I think.)
  4. Copy new (internal) note link Ctrl+Alt-L
  5. Return to original note Alt-[Back Arrow]
  6. Select original text
  7. Ctrl-V (Paste - Replacing text with Hyperlink) 

I would love for this to be a one keyboard shortcut thing! It seems like an obvious operation to automate for anyone who's worked with a wiki.

-- John

Anyone give us the Mac desktop equivalent? 

• Level 5

This quote and nearly all of the thread is related to the legacy client - just watch at the date stamp of the quote.

Legacy will not be touched any more, it is deprecated.

To ask for such a function for v10, better start a new thread, because everything discussed here will at least be partially misleading when a new forum user reads through all the posts starting in 2012. Technically this was a completely different software, even if it was released by the same company, back then.

One would hope that these type of basic productivity features which are available in competing products would get some more attention going forward. It should not be all that complicated to "create note from selected text". What is complicated is to get something with priority in the development queue.  

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

How much productivity is gained from avoiding ctrl/cmd-C to alt-ctrl/cmd-V ?

Or didn’t you do the most basic action of reading first through the thread ?

The aggression in your answers is astonishing.

As far as I experience, the ctrl/cmd-C to alt-ctrl/cmd-V does not transform the selected text into a link to the newly created note, which is where the gain would be. Now If I missed this functionality by reading through this, I apologize. It would be kind of you to point me to the right post.