(Archived) Exceeding Maximum 1 GB Monthly Upload for Premium Members

Hello,

I'm considering a premium account, but nowhere in the Evernote documentation can I determine what happens if I exceed the advertised 1 GB per month data allowance for uploads. Does anyone know how this is billed by Evernote?

Also, a related question: I have an iphone 4. The pictures that this phone takes are huge. Does anyone know how I might quickly and easily reduce file size of the pics so that I might reduce Evernote storage needs? Perhaps a quick and easy application that integrates with Evernote? I do know how to reduce file size in photoshop individually , but this is cumbersome if I just want to upload pics to Evernote from my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Nancy

• Level 5*

Hi. Evernote Food allows for you to take quite low resolution pictures, with a few settings for different sizes. You'd have to be taking a whole lot of photos, though, to make a dent in 1GB. Once you reach 1GB, nothing else will upload, so you just have to wait until the next month, or pay five dollars for an additional 1GB for the month. Evernote will not charge you anything, though, unless you ask for the extra 1GB.

WRT photos, what I often do is upload my photos from my iPhone to Dropbox. Then my photo manager on my desktop computer (ACDSee Photo Manager) allows me to see thumbnails of the photos & quickly batch rotate or whatever. I can then cut/paste them from Dropbox to an import folder where Evernote imports them. (Please search the board on import folders, if you need more info.)

• Level 5*

Also, a related question: I have an iphone 4. The pictures that this phone takes are huge. Does anyone know how I might quickly and easily reduce file size of the pics so that I might reduce Evernote storage needs? Perhaps a quick and easy application that integrates with Evernote? I do know how to reduce file size in photoshop individually , but this is cumbersome if I just want to upload pics to Evernote from my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Nancy

Unfortunately the EN iPhone app saves the snapshot in full resolution which can require many MB of storage.

Although it is common on most other iPhone apps, Evernote has not responded to requests to provide the user with a option to select the resolution to be saved.

Until/If Evernote does provide this option, one work-around is to use a 3rd party iPhone app to snap the photo, and send to Evernote at a reduced resolution. There are a number of iPhone apps that do this. I like Genius Scan+ and JotNot.

Thanks Mr. Explorer.

I'm a newbie with Evernote and this really helps. I'm learning a lot on the forums.

So, I spent the day uploading and in only one day I've reached my storage limit. So, I employed the advice above and I downloaded a little program called iresize (that's i-resize) from CNET. While it does add an extra, and frankly, unwanted step, reszizing images is a snap. One can even drag a whole folder of images and they are processed easily and quickly. The interface is simple as well and the compression that is done really looks great. Now, I'm going back to my EN learning curve and will try to figure out how to upload these images to EN directly from the Mac. Tomorrow I shall look into the iphone apps that Explorer mentions. I'll report back on my progress in case there are other newbies who might be interested.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

I use an app for iPhone called "Camera+" that allows immediate editing, cropping, applying a border, as well as some optional filters that fix things like backlit scenes, the yellow from indoor lighting, etc. It also has all the junky effects you can add.

Anyway, the best part for the original poster is it allows an "optimized" setting which limits the resolution of the photo to 1200 by 1200 which means a smaller file size but the quality of the image plenty big enough for presenting online. Once I am done editing click "share" and email it to your Evernote email address.

I bought the app for 99 cents while it was on sale.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tested this yet, but can't you just email the photo from your iphone to your evernote account and just select a smaller version of the pic? This way you don't need a separate app just to get a lower-res pic into your Evernote account.

Edit: I just tested this and, indeed, you get asked what size image you want to send. You get 4 options: Small, Medium, Large, Actual Size. On my test the sizes were significantly different, scaling from 43.5 KB to a whopping 1.9 MB.

• Level 5*

I think this must have been in Evernote Food at some point. That, or my response above seems bizarre! You could email the photo at whatever resolution you would like. It works well, but be aware that rotation may be off (an old issue discussed somewhere in the forums before).

• 2 months later...

Archived