(Archived) How to organize my written notes with tags

Hi Evernote community.

I am a public speaker and I need to organize my notes in a very special way.

I write a journey every day about my daily adventures and also about thing that have inspired me or made me laugh. Some days the note can be 100 words other times it can be 1000 words.

When I type a 1000 words there is a very high chance that there are many topics within the one note. For example. There might be

Health tips (About Exercise)

A joke (about dogs)

Inspirational thought (about love)

A new understanding (about life)

This can happen all in the one note.

For this note I would give it a tags

Exercise

Dogs

Love

Life

The problem I have is after about 1 year of writing For example I click on the Exercise Tag and it comes up with allot of notes I have to sift threw each not to find the area I wrote about Exercise just to find the quote I made about Exercise in every note. Which takes way to much time. I need te be able to tag just a sentence or a paragraph within the note so when I do a search on a tag it only shows me the the sentences or paragraphs that have been tagged NOT the whole note

This is how I would like it to work

I get a call from my agent about a speak engagement and the topic they want to talk about is Exercise.

I go to my Evernote and click on a TAG Exercise and only the sentences I have tagged EXERCISE shows up. I can then scan quickly and pull out all the content I need to create my talk.

Can anyone help me with this please.

Is there a 3rd party app that can do this process

Love garth

Not as far as I know.

Adding underscore enclosed keywords to your note text may give you some of what you are looking for, e.g. "_Exercise_".

Note that underscore, unlike other non alpha numeric characters, is searchable in Evernote.

• Level 5*

Likewise no obvious solutions here...

If you're thinking about tagging sentences, you're going to be editing your existing notes to add tags - I can only suggest a variation, that you create a new notebook for each of your themes and copy the relevant sentences or paragraphs from your existing notes into those notebooks. Then, if you look in the "Exercise" notebook you'll immediately have all the related quotes in one spot. Needs work to set up though, and each new item then needs to be copied into the quotes database(s) once created.

• Level 5*

I write a journey every day about my daily adventures and also about thing that have inspired me or made me laugh. Some days the note can be 100 words other times it can be 1000 words.

When I type a 1000 words there is a very high chance that there are many topics within the one note. For example. There might be

Health tips (About Exercise)

A joke (about dogs)

Inspirational thought (about love)

A new understanding (about life)

This can happen all in the one note.

For this note I would give it a tags

Exercise

Dogs

Love

Life

The problem I have is after about 1 year of writing For example I click on the Exercise Tag and it comes up with allot of notes I have to sift threw each not to find the area I wrote about Exercise just to find the quote I made about Exercise in every note. Which takes way to much time. I need te be able to tag just a sentence or a paragraph within the note so when I do a search on a tag it only shows me the the sentences or paragraphs that have been tagged NOT the whole note

As noted above, there is no way to tag a "section" in Evernote. Tags can be applied ONLY at the Note level.

The only suggestion I can think of is to break your long Notes up into smaller, single-subject Notes.

When you find you have a long Note and need to give it multiple, non-related Tags (like above), then you have a candidate to break into smaller notes.

Then you can tag each of the small notes with only one subject, which, of course, allows you to search/retrieve only those Notes which are limited to a specific subject.

Hope this helps.

• Level 5

As others have already said, there is no direct solution to your problem.

As a workaround and similar to what Owyn suggested above, you could use some kind of acronym "tags" inside your text, something like this:

xex (for exercise)

xjoke (for joke)

You can then search for these "acronym tags" and they would be highlighted.

Wern

Archived