(Archived) Split notes, keep metadata

Can't tell if this has already been covered elsewhere, but would appreciate the ability to write a long note in a single pane, tag it as I wish, and then be able to use a simple keyboard shortcut to split the note into two while keeping the same metadata. For example, if I have a word processor file that has notes on three chapters of a single book by Joan Smith, written in 2009, I would like to be able to cut and paste it into Evernote, tag the note with the author's name (Smith 2009), and then split it into three separate notes, which I could then label and markup as I please, while still keeping the underlying information about the source so that, for example, every time I search for "Smith 2009" all three notes will come up.

• Level 5*

I agree it would be nice to be able to split an existing note into bits if you find it's too big, or want to show differences for some reason; but it is possible to clone (copy) a note completely, so not too hard to make as many copies as necessary and then delete the unwanted sections..

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another AMEN to this request. As a self employed writer I must keep years of documents and receipts. Scanning to Evernote and sorting after is the first practical solution I've found for getting them to cloud and DVD backup BUT If I sort into groups by month before scanning, projects that span years (which should be together) will be buried.  Manually sorting by projects that span years would be a nightmare, take 24/7 for a month and make Evernote no more useful than any other scan software.  Without an Evernote split feature, I will have to spend weeks opening the scans in pdf and manually separating them. UGH!  

My 2 cents (sense) Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I agree it would be nice to be able to split an existing note into bits if you find it's too big, or want to show differences for some reason; but it is possible to clone (copy) a note completely, so not too hard to make as many copies as necessary and then delete the unwanted sections..

I would take this with a grain of salt. If you're separating a note up because it is too large or cumbersome, you want to be careful about copying the note multiple times just to delete sections, as I believe this will eat into your monthly. Although, I imagine this might work if you do it while offline, and then delete all remnants of the original "copies (possessing everything)" before syncing.

I would take this with a grain of salt. If you're separating a note up because it is too large or cumbersome, you want to be careful about copying the note multiple times just to delete sections, as I believe this will eat into your monthly. Although, I imagine this might work if you do it while offline, and then delete all remnants of the original "copies (possessing everything)" before syncing.

No need to "take it with a grain of salt.". If you don't want the extra copies using up your upload limit then yes, work with them in a local notebook or prevent EN from syncing, until you're done.

Archived