(Archived) Problem with voice note file formats

I've been recording audio notes via iPhone for several weeks. But yesterday I encountered 2 possibly-related issues:

(1) Upon accessing an audio note via web browser (Safari), I accessed the QuickTime drop-down menu and selected "Save as Source." The file that was downloaded said "wav" (i.e., the QuickTime icon identified the file as a "wav" file), but it had no extension. Without an extension, the file wouldn't play properly (on a machine running Tiger). So I added the "wav" extension -- only to discover that that didn't work, either. On a hunch, I added the extension "mp3," which finally worked. (The files seem to work better on machines running Leopard.)

(2) A friend created voice notes on her iPhone, then emailed them to me from within the app. But the emailed messages display the files as a QuickTime symbol with a question mark, indicating that there's a problem. (Screen shot attached.) I can download the attachments, but it appears these files are intended to play within the email message -- and that feature's not working.

What's going on with these audio files?

(P.S. On the iPhone the "Voice Note" feature should be renamed "Audio Note." There are many things that can be recorded, besides voices.) :-)

post-11225-131906062517_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hello. I'm pinging this thread because it's been nearly a year, and this issue still has not been addressed.

The wav files that evernote is creating seem to be missing some sort of header (or some such detail), because none of my audio programs will recognize the files -- even though they all read wav files. The only way I can make use of the files is to open them in quicktime player, then export them -- which somehow "cleans them up." But this is extremely inconvenient, as I need to use multiple audio files in a session. So, having to convert each one in another app is not a viable long-term option.

Could you please, please have someone look into this? I suspect it's something fairly simple (like a header, as I mentioned) that could easily be addressed. This is a real problem for those of us who need to import evernote's audio files into other applications.

Thanks.

What common application are you having problems with? We didn't know that the WAV files were causing issues for people ... we fixed one formatting issue a long time ago and assumed that everything was fine since we haven't heard more reports.

Thanks

What common application are you having problems with? We didn't know that the WAV files were causing issues for people ... we fixed one formatting issue a long time ago and assumed that everything was fine since we haven't heard more reports.

Thanks

Hello. Evernote's wav files won't import into either Digital Performer (5.x or 6.x) or Pro Tools (7.x or 8.x).

I do notice that whereas in the past, Evernote's files had no extension, they now have the extension ".wav" -- so, yes, it's apparent some changes were made. (Thanks.) But something about Evernote's wave files still makes them "invisible" to certain audio apps.

QuickTime Player "scrubs" them, somehow: I open the files in QTP, then export (⌘E) and select "Sound to Wave." The resulting wav files can be opened by DP and Pro Tools.

For your convenience, I'm attaching an archive containing two, very short example files -- one "before" and one "after" scrubbing with QTP. Perhaps an examination of the files

I've recently had to do this with dozens of files (and hundreds more, in the coming weeks), and it would be nice if we could just drag Evernote's audio files directly into DP or Pro Tools without the extra step. :)

Thanks.

Evernote Archive.zip

QuickTime Player "scrubs" them, somehow: I open the files in QTP, then export (⌘E) and select "Sound to Wave." The resulting wav files can be opened by DP and Pro Tools.

Hello. I believe I may have solved the mystery! Using a tiny app called "iLikeYouMore," I examined the Type and Creator info on both Evernote's original audio files and the scrubbed files. It turns out Evernote's files are simply missing the Type designation.

I've attached a screenshot: at the top is Evernote's audio file -- which has no Type designation. If Evernote can simply add "WAVE" to its audio files' Type field, I think we'll be good to go. (The Creator field doesn't seem to matter.) :)

post-11225-131906063843_thumb.jpg

Archived