(Archived) where is the database folder in evernote 3.3.0 for mac

smile0409

Idea

I installed the new version 3.3.0 for mac. When login, evernote couldn't go on. It always let me input password.

So I open the folder which stores the data of evernote before. But the folder user/library/application support/Evernote disappeared. Where is the new database folder?

In fact, I store the Evernote folder in other place, and I use "ln" command to store a virtual folder in user/library/application support ,

What can I do?

9 replies to this idea

Hello smile0409,

I have the exact same problem as you since 3.3.0. I don't think the problem is the evernote folder moved. I think it's due to sandbox. You probably have like me this in your console :

04/08/12 09:45:43,248 sandboxd[2100]: ([2082]) Evernote(2082) deny file-read-data /Volumes/EVERNOTE/Evernote/accounts/Evernote

04/08/12 09:45:43,323 sandboxd[2100]: ([2082]) Evernote(2082) deny file-read-data /Volumes/EVERNOTE/Evernote/accounts/Evernote

04/08/12 09:45:43,376 sandboxd[2100]: ([2082]) Evernote(2082) deny file-read-data /Volumes/EVERNOTE/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/<your_account>/props/userInfo

04/08/12 09:45:43,402 sandboxd[2100]: ([2082]) Evernote(2082) deny file-write-unlink /Volumes/EVERNOTE/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/<your_account>/props/userInfo

It seems that sandbox doesn't allow Evernote to read his database from an external volume.

I hope they will be able to update Evernote or at least encrypt the database so as we don't have do it manually.

But until they do, i think we are good to go with a fresh database install in evernote's default folder.

I have the same problem. I had moved my Evernote folder to an encrypted sparsebundle a year ago. In doing so, I created a symbolic link to the new location (on the encrypted drive) as per the suggestions here: http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-encrypt-evernote-on-mac-osx/

With 3.3.0, I can't seem to open evernote at all. I get the same sandboxd errors as J2AN and the program doesn't open. I'm running 10.7.4

The problem is the main Evernote data folders have moved from ~/Library/Application Support/ into a 'Container'. In doing so, Evernote migrated the symbolic link I previosuly made into the Container. However, sandboxd doesn't allow Evernote to leave the container.

I believe the 'fix' is as follows: Go to ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and delete the Evernote link there. Evernote then prompts you to do a fresh resync of data. The drawback is, however, that the data is no longer encrypted on my Mac.

I hope Evernote can find a way to encrypt the entire folder on the Mac. I don't want to use Filevault but I do want that information kept safe in case my computer is stolen.

Okay, so I found a workaround that DOES encrypt the Evernote data under 10.7.4. Assuming you had previously encrypted your Evernote data in a mounted, encrypted sparsebundle called ENCRYPTED:

1. Go to ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and delete the symbolic link to ENCRYPTED/Evernote.

2. Copy the ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote folder into /Volumes/ENCRYPTED/

3. Move the ENCRYPTED/Evernote into ENCRYPTED/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/

4. In the terminal, create a new symbolic link:

ln -s /Volumes/ENCRYPTED/com.evernote.Evernote/ /Users/xxxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

where xxxxx is of course your short user name.

For those who did NOT previously want to encrypt their Evernote data but wish to do so now, just create and mount a new sparsebundle, and skip steps 1 and 3 above. You'll need to open the sparsebundle before running Evernote, of course.

Needless to say I don't work for Evernote and I'm sure the above method is not recommended and at your own risk. It's worked for me so far, but it's only been an hour so who knows what might happen!

• Level 5

The problem is with Apple!

In recent versions of OS X Apple has hidden certain folders from prying eyes, presumably to prevent accidental *****-ups. The /users/userid/library/application support fold can be made "visible" temporarily or permanently.

Temporarily make user/Library visible:

Go to the Finder

Select GO

Click Go to Folder

Type ~/Library/

now you will see your library folder. The Evernote database is in Application Support

Permanent solution:

The user/Library can be made visible permanently with a simple entry using the Terminal, but I can't find the code at the moment.

Archived