(Archived) Latest Evernote Update Doesn't Work with ScanSnap

pdelia

Idea

39 replies to this idea

I am running Lion and Evernote was downloaded from the web site originally and all past updates except the last were direct from the web site. The last update was from the Apple Apps update and this seems to have caused the problem I have.

I can scan from ScanSnap to Note or to pdf in Evernote. Both are scanned to the scanned documents folder but only the pdf version is uploaded to Evernote (not OCR'ed as I don't have that set), the Note version is not uploaded. I can still drag from the folder to Evernote and get it in that way but this is an extra step I don't want to do for long. This change definitely occurred from the latest update.

I will try downloading the current app from the web site and in future ignoring the Apple Apps update and updating direct from the web site

I know it's probably too complicated of a way to solve the problem - but for those of you (like myself) that don't want to have to delete, then reinstall everything, I did this.

Just make the folder that ScanSnap scans into inside your Pictures folder (inside your Home folder). Evernote sandboxed (off the MAS) has access to this folder. So then when ScanSnap opens the file it makes into Evernote, Evernote will have access to the file. It's not the file format as it is what Evernote sandboxed has access to.

Hope that helps.

Have this problem on Lion. Interestingly, if you use Application Settings.. in the Scansnap Evernote profile and click to convert to searchable PDF, it does work. And that was a great tip about using the Pictures folder. Works a treat. So I scan to a special folder inside Pictures. Then I get Hazel to clean up anything in there after a few days.

FWIW I'm having the same issue with Evernote 3.3.0 on Lion when installed from the App Store...

I deleted the App Store install and installed from here:

http://evernote.com/...=MacUnsupported

Ran the update to the current version, and it works with the ScanSnap. Seems to be the App Store installed release...

This worked perfectly for me. The only downside was that it took a solid half hour to re-sync everything.

Fujitsu and Evernote are now getting along again though - that's the main thing. ;)

My problem is that the notes go into evernote but they dont bring up a new note window. Instead an apple preview window opens. It is just inconvenient to have to go back and open the notes to edit dates, tags etc. Same thing whether it is from scanner or from save pdf to evernote. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Triston

I had the same experience as many have described here. New macbook, so I installed the app store version of the app in mountain lion (while keeping the website non-app-store version on my other mac at home) and the one at home kept opening a new window when scanning to from my scansnap into evernote, while the app store version on new mac would not open a new evernote window when I would scan something in. Now that I used the link found in this thread to instal the website (non app store) version on to my new macbook all is well again.

However, I've also been having some editing microsoft office documents that are stored in evernote, and I'm wondering if the same sandboxing issue is causing that? Anyone have any thoughts on this? For example, I'd open up an excel spreadsheet and work on it, and I'd start getting errors about the path being too many characters (the path in evernote), and/or errors about path not being found in order to save the spreadsheet, and/or errors about microsoft's auto-recovery not being able to function for the document/spreadsheet being edited, etc.

I haven't been able to test this since installing the non-app-store version of EN, but curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, if they know anything about why this is happening?

Thanks!

The only thing that worked for me was to simply move the scan folder to within PICTURES. Worked like a charmed. Re-installing didn't work.

Moving the Scans folder under the Pictures folder worked like a champ. Thanks for that recommendation.

Just discovered that at some point, my Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M's "scan to Evernote" function stopped working.

Clues:

1. If the Evernote Mac app is not running when I scan, it launches.

2. The scan files (PDF) are appearing in the folder I set up for them (~/Documents/Scans/Evernote), but aren't getting imported into Evernote.

3. "scan to Paperless" continues to work fine.

This used to work fine, and I haven't changed anything beyond normal software updating.

Using Mac OS 10.7.5 and the latest versions of the ScanSnap (2.2L16) and Evernote (3.3.1) software. I reinstalled Evernote a few days ago due to another issue, but it wasn't the App Store version.

All Fujitsu support could offer was try reinstalling Evernote and/or the ScanSnap software.

Just discovered that at some point, my Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M's "scan to Evernote" function stopped working.

Clues:

1. If the Evernote Mac app is not running when I scan, it launches.

2. The scan files (PDF) are appearing in the folder I set up for them (~/Documents/Scans/Evernote), but aren't getting imported into Evernote.

3. "scan to Paperless" continues to work fine.

This used to work fine, and I haven't changed anything beyond normal software updating.

Using Mac OS 10.7.5 and the latest versions of the ScanSnap (2.2L16) and Evernote (3.3.1) software. I reinstalled Evernote a few days ago due to another issue, but it wasn't the App Store version.

All Fujitsu support could offer was try reinstalling Evernote and/or the ScanSnap software.

Wow, just tried moving the folder for the scans to a folder inside my Pictures folder (as suggested above) and it seems to have worked. WTF?

I know it's probably too complicated of a way to solve the problem - but for those of you (like myself) that don't want to have to delete, then reinstall everything, I did this.

Just make the folder that ScanSnap scans into inside your Pictures folder (inside your Home folder). Evernote sandboxed (off the MAS) has access to this folder. So then when ScanSnap opens the file it makes into Evernote, Evernote will have access to the file. It's not the file format as it is what Evernote sandboxed has access to.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I haven't been able to directly scan to Evernote for months. I didn't want to uninstall anything. Moving my ScanSnap folder to Pictures was an incredibly simple solution. My scans are going into Evernote directly. Awesome tip!!

I do have the same Problem:

- after the Update (not the App Store Version) to 5.05.6 ScanSnap scans crash Evernote

- when re-starting the application Evernote starts to migrate all elements again (every time after crash)

- re-installing Evernote didn't help

What to do now? I want to prevent deleting every Evernote and Snapscan file on my Mac and download it again (those 12 GB of data)

Please Evernote, fix that immediately, my paperless office is on hold currently!!!!!!

I'm having the same problem as pdelia. I have the latest ScanSnap update (3.2 L60).

Scanning with the ScanSnap will launch Evernote (if it's not already running), save the PDF, but not import it into Evernote. I tried making a new ScanSnap profile from scratch, instead of using the built-in "Scan to Evernote (Document)" setting -- same problem.

I just update evernote this morning, before setting off to do my scanning. I am experiencing the same problem. I have quick menu disabled. I go to setting and applications and select scan to evernote. I even re -added evernote to the applications. No luck still. It just scans to folder on my local machine. Which makes it a big hassle to scan everything into evernote.

I have a Lion and a Mountain Lion system.

Scansnap works fine with latest Evernote on Mountain Lion, but I have the same problem you all reported on my Lion system.

Seems to be linked to sandboxing feature :

05/08/12 12:17:07,615 sandboxd: ([20757]) Evernote(20757) deny file-read-data /Users/username/Documents/ScanSnap/2012_08_05_12_17_00.jpg

I think this is Evernote 3.3 issue - the sandboxing comment is interesting...I have also had issues within Printing PDF "Save in Evernote" processing. Evernote support indicates that I should downgrade the Evernote version as the print PDF into Evernote is not supported. Looks like the ScanSnap is having the same issue - Evernote is not able to accept automated input from other application & create a new note.

These bugs / features / new limitations seriously impact workflow and flexibility of Evernote usage.

Let me know if either of these functions work for you on Mountain Lion.

Hum, looks like we have an additional issue with the "send PDF to Evernote" feature

Lion: both ScanSnap and send PDF fail with a sandbox error

Mountain Lion: ScanSnap works fine, but send PDF fails with sandbox error

Here's a more detailed explanation with the the new update problems with ScanSnap and also the Print to Evernote features.

I'm running Mountain Lion.

With ScanSnap all my previous Evernote profiles no longer scan directly into Evernote. You can create new profiles to scan into Evernote but the will not work either. They simply drop the scan into whatever folder is set in the profile and not directly into Evernote. This is a big issue as it is the primary way I use Evernote.

You can use the "Scan to Evernote (Document)" profile that is built in with ScanSnap but there are issues here. 1 - it is set up to create PDF search data which slows down the scan process by a factor of 10. If you disable the PDF search generation in ScanSnap profile then it doesn't scan into Evernote. 2 - This profile scans into Evernote notebook without opening the new note in a separate window. Not nearly as convenient when naming and tagging new notes.

The other feature that no longer working is the "Print to Evernote" or "Save PDF to Evernote" feature. This is where you use the print command to print whatever as a PDF directly into Evernote. This was an extremely useful feature and again the main way I use Evernote.

All this started with the newest update to Evernote.

It looks as though many others are experiencing this.

Does anyone know where I can download the previous version of Evernote? The one that works correctly.

It's not Apple it's Evernote. The previous version on Evernote has none of these issues.

It might be a mix - Apple demanding sandboxed apps, and Evernote not working out the kinks. Either way, it's broken - I also get the sandbox read error in my Mountain Lion system console, all software up to date.

I wonder: Are there folders on the system where Evernote does have sandbox permission to read from? If so then I could have ScanSnap write there...

UPDATE: Yes! This works: have ScanSnap save the PDF file to:

[your home directory]/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Documents/FileDrawer

(Or replace "FileDrawer" with whatever folder name you want)

Evernote seems to have read access to this area. ScanSnap isn't sandboxed - it can stomp on files anywhere. It's an out of the way place to store files, but it works...

This is an issue related to the App Store's new sandboxing filesystem permission controls. The best solution is to use the direct download version of Evernote: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

We are working expeditiously with Fujitsu on a better long-term solution.

I'd love to solve this problem. If I download & run the version from the link above, does doing so preserve all my current Evernote notebooks and settings? Just run it? Or do I have to do something to save my files & settings first?

Thank you!

Archived