(Archived) Private cloud storage

• Level 5*

Hi Theo. Welcome to the Forums. You could set up your notebooks to be local only, which would maintain a copy of the database only on your local machine. Good security, zero for mobile access. If you wish to have remote access to your data or share it with others, the only option is Everenote servers.

Hi Gazumped, thanks for your reply. I think Evernote is awesome, we (my company) is just concerned with security and the possibility for others to be able to view the notes.

We will have to decide whether Evernote is suitable for us in this respect.

• Level 5*

Hi Gazumped, thanks for your reply. I think Evernote is awesome, we (my company) is just concerned with security and the possibility for others to be able to view the notes.

We will have to decide whether Evernote is suitable for us in this respect.

Hi. Security is important, but I am not sure having it on your own private servers will make you more secure. Here are some links to forum posts that I put on my website (http://www.princeton...unofficial.html).

----------

So, you're concerned about security?

Users regularly post on the forums with questions and requests about security. These are valid concerns when using any cloud service. Dave Engberg, Evernote CTO, has this to say about SSL and database encryption (a comparison with bank policies), what Evernote does with your data, and the limits of Evernote security (they are not HIPAA compliant, for example). There are many, many more threads about the topics, but these answers are some of the clearest statements I have seen.

• Level 5*

Evernote have said in the past that they do not intend to provide any of sort of appliance that a company can host themselves.

Yep. Evernote Podcast #32 (45:23-47:18). I've got a complete list of the podcasts (see the bottom of http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-multimedia.html). They also say they will work with you and your company to address any concerns, though, so you may want to contact them for more information.

Evernote is among the best option that one may opt in to meet their storage needs. They have 8 different products with advanced and productive features. Their service is pretty good but i am concerned with the security issues related to their services. They do offer unlimited storage option but i think dropbox and some other providers also offers unlimited storage space.

• Level 5*

Evernote is among the best option that one may opt in to meet their storage needs. They have 8 different products with advanced and productive features. Their service is pretty good but i am concerned with the security issues related to their services. They do offer unlimited storage option but i think dropbox and some other providers also offers unlimited storage space.

I don't see how unlimited storage space relates to security, and given Dropbox's recent security woes, I am not seeing how they would be a better alternative to Evernote. More to the point, Evernote aims to make you smarter, while Dropbox aims to be your virtual thumb drive. The two services are very different.

As for unlimited storage, I know of no such service anywhere, so I wonder if you could explain what you mean.

I see no relevance in this respect either, although I ran into an article about tips what not to store in Evernote (http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/evernotetip.htm). These are quite common tips, you wouldn't send this information in e-mail either. The only thing that attracts my attention is the line "However, the security in Evernote premium is simply SSL encryption, which merely encrypts the data while it is being transmitted.". Does this imply that data transmitted for standard users is not SSL? That would make no sense, i guess, so I assume it's just a matter of speach.

• Level 5*

I see no relevance in this respect either, although I ran into an article about tips what not to store in Evernote (http://antivirus.abo...evernotetip.htm). These are quite common tips, you wouldn't send this information in e-mail either. The only thing that attracts my attention is the line "However, the security in Evernote premium is simply SSL encryption, which merely encrypts the data while it is being transmitted.". Does this imply that data transmitted for standard users is not SSL? That would make no sense, i guess, so I assume it's just a matter of speach.

Hi Theo. I've extensively criticized that page elsewhere on the forums (see http://discussion.ev...ks/#entry152008), but in this case it is probably wrong simply by virtue of being outdated, and I suppose the author is not to blame for it. That is just the nature of the net. There was a day when Evernote rolled out the SSL encryption to Premium users first before extending it to everyone. So, in answer to your question, everyone has SSL encryption for transmitted data.

Yes, as GM said, initially SSL encryption WHILE TRANSMITTING DATA (as opposed to data storage) at one time was a premium feature. But ~two years ago, EN rolled it out to all users.

As an aside, this is exactly why I hate blog posts/reviews that are not dated.

Archived