Evernote and IFTTT - A simple guide

IFTTT is an online service, commonly referenced on these forums, that helps automate things between other online services. The acronym IFTTT stands for "If this then that". Basically, if something happens on "Service A", it triggers an action to happen on "Service B".

XdJiv.png

Evernote is one of the many services that can be used with IFTTT, but what sort of triggers or actions can be created using Evernote? If you aren't creative, don't sweat it! You can click the headers to find recipes that others have created using Evernote as either a trigger or an action.

Evernote as a trigger:

7fQtu.png

New shared note link - Every time you publicly share a note, IFTTT will recognize this and perform an action.

Evernote as an action:

w4tbu.png

Create a note - Make a brand new note with a specific title/body/notebook and with a specified tag every time the trigger occurs.

Append to a note - Add to an existing note every time the trigger occurs. This will continue to happen until the note is 2mb.

Create a link note - Make a new note that links to the trigger every time the trigger occurs.

Create image note - Make a new note containing a predefined image (from a URL).

Create audio note - Make a new note containing a predefined audio clip (from a URL).

-----------------------------------

Of course, all this information can be found on IFTTT, but I thought I'd try to make it easily accessible for people browsing the forums. Do you have any tips or tricks for using IFTTT? Have a great recipe that you'd like to share? Add a comment below.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good news if you have a public twitter feed you can still make a news feed rss trigger and send strait to evenote I have accounts and only two of them am I happy to release in to the wild but the third i send to evenote using Zapier which the free account is a 5 hour refresh but since that one feed i don't want in the wild its a small sacrifice for a life journal I will get the feed for how to set it up soon

https://ifttt.com/recipes/58229 that is the example feed to set up a link strait to your evenote account.

It works only if your account is public but if you make a obscure account and not make it obvious its you privacy shouldnt be a issue .

plus as its a rss feed you can have literally 40 going at once with the same ifttt account..

but if you must keep it private or you want to log from a account that is shared selectively i would say just grab the free account at https://zapier.com/

• 1 year later...

It doesn't seem that iftt allows for Evernote to be a trigger anymore. Am I missing something?

You seem to be correct. 

If you need evernote to trigger actions I recommend checking out Zapier. For example:

Ok played around with Zapier a bit and may have a method to make exporting from the web interface possible, though how easy/effective depends on the content of your notes.  I've used dropbox but you could use Box or Google Drive, or probably gmail maybe??? 

Here's a Zapier zap template that does the followinghttp://zpr.io/Ryn3

• For any new note in a specified notebook, create a .txt file in dropbox that contains the HTML marked up note contents. Also transfer any attachment to the specified dropbox folder. 

The downside to this is that if you had a note with a single attachment, then you end up with two files, the notetitle.txt and the attachment. If you had 500 notes, each with a single attachment, you'd end up with 1000 files. This means you might want to take special care exporting notes with attachments this way. 

However the upshot is that the note formatting is very, very well preserved in the HTML (because that's basically how Evernote stores it anyway). 

Here's another Zap template that does the followinghttp://zpr.io/Ry6H

• For any new note in a specified notebook, create a .txt file in dropbox that contains the plain text note contents. Also transfer any attachment to the specified dropbox folder. 

Same handling of attachments as the first one. 

To make either of these work, create a new, empty notebook. Use that as the trigger notebook in Zapier. How you deal with the files created in your destination is up to you. 

Once you have the zap set up and assigned your new, empty Evernote notebook as the trigger, transfer a batch of notes you want to export to that new notebook. Zapier will detect these as newly created notes, and will then dump them over to your destination. 

You'll have to play around with the various parameters. I mean you may not want to include tags if they aren't important. If you don't have any attachments on your notes, you might just want to remove that parameter. You might want date created information included, which is not included in either template I've posted. 

I recommend playing around and starting with a small number of test notes to see what the results are like with a given configuration until you get something you are happy with. 

For each batch of notes you export to dropbox, you can then move them out of your chosen cloud provider to a local folder or another service of your choice. 

You might want to go in batches, exporting one notebook at a time, or one tag at a time, depending on what makes sense given your organizational scheme. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have my Amazon Echo/Alexa set so any time I add something to its ToDo, it adds it to my Evernote ToDo. The thing is, I want it added to the TOP of my Evernote note, not appended to the end of it.

Anybody know a way to do that?

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2015 at 2:45 PM, Kathleen M said:

I have my Amazon Echo/Alexa set so any time I add something to its ToDo, it adds it to my Evernote ToDo. The thing is, I want it added to the TOP of my Evernote note, not appended to the end of it.

Anybody know a way to do that?

Did you ever figure out how to do this?  I can't figure out how to add to newest info to the top of a note instead of showing the oldest content at the top either.

13 minutes ago, vsajewel said:

Did you ever figure out how to do this?  I can't figure out how to add to newest info to the top of a note instead of showing the oldest content at the top either.

Nope -- I never did figure that out. I have ended up barely using my Amazon Echo for anything other than controlling lights or occasionally asking it to play "All Things Considered." 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 3:07 PM, Kathleen M said:

Nope -- I never did figure that out. I have ended up barely using my Amazon Echo for anything other than controlling lights or occasionally asking it to play "All Things Considered." 

I know what you mean.  We forget it's there because there just aren't too many helpful things Echo can do for us.  Although I gotta say...we were surprised when we asked about election result updates because of how current they were. Other than listening to the occasional tune my uses are as primarily as timer, a weather report and finding out movie times of those playing at theatres near us. Shopping lists seem cumbersome and the one thing that I really need still seems far off...Google searches!  Or even Bing...because I've heard talk that's what Echo uses. I don't understand why it appears that with Echo every bit of content needs to be programmed into it when Siri and Google Now (or Hey Google, or whatever they're calling it now) can do web searches easily.  Thanks for updating me!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...