(Archived) Evernote for Windows won't open or install

keirfamily

I had Evernote 4.5.5 for Windows but lately it's not been loading; clicking on the icon gives "please wait while Windows configures Evernote 4.5.5" followed by

"Evernote 4.5.5

error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"

and the choice is now between "retry" (and re-fail) and "cancel", which (surprisingly) backs me out of the start process.

I backed up username.exb, uninstalled, downloaded 4.5.7 and tried to install it. Same error.

I really liked Evernote - much more handy than OneNote - but it looks as if I'm borked.

Any ideas, anyone?

Andrew

Win 7 Home Premium 64, 164 notes, 23 notebooks

• Level 5

There are probably some leftover files on your PC after the uninstall. Try REVO uninstaller and do a complete wipe.

Then install EN again.

Wern - thanks for taking the time to reply. I've given Revo Uninstaller (and the Pro trial) a go but they can't find any evidence of Evernote on my machine. So they can't help.

(Actually I'm underwhelmed by Revo U anyway as I can't see what it does that I can't already do with Windows delete, but pass that by).

There are traces of Evernote on my machine - thanks to various posters for suggestions about where to find them - and I'm deleting them by hand, after backing up my "*.edb" file. (Evernote data is kept in the cloud somewhere, right?)

But of course I can't be sure I've done a Tamagotchi and "got them all". Anyway I know just enough not to mess with the Registry, so I'm probably not making any progress anyway.

Any comments, suggestions, welcome.

Andrew Keir

"I probably know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble, and not enough to get out of it. But - as Richard Feynman said, "it's fun"!"

Sorry for the double post, but I should have made it clear that the real problem is with EN trying to create a directory (folder, surely?) "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" - which already exists.

Bug, or feature? And (given that no-one else is getting this problem) what else might be wrong?

Andrew Keir

"I probably know just enough about computers to get myself into trouble, and not enough to get out of it. But - as Richard Feynman said, "it's fun"!"

Thanks Owyn - I'll follow that idea up.

Not sure why it suddenly became an issue, though.

Ah well...

Andrew Keir

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone else has this problem, Evernote Tech support came up with this fix, which worked;

"In Evernote:

If you do have any Local Only notebooks or unsynced notes, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Click on "Open Database folder"go to Tools > Sign Out

Go to Evernote > Options

Copy the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.

Then:

Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system and then Reboot your computer.

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseWinBeta

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process."

(my comment - you'll need to use the 'advanced' option to access the "install for me" routine).

Anyway, thanks EN techs.

Andrew Keir

• 1 year later...

Hi I had same problem - its too bad ever notes installation program for version 5 destroys evernote on a users system!!!!

I solved the problem by using revo uninstaller pro to search for evernote, and remove all traces - then re-ran evernote 5 installer - it worked~!

Archived