Lost data - support for non-premium members

zargosh

Idea

Hi,

I lost all of the data in a long note that I had. I use Evernote primarily on my Iphone, but I also access it occasionally from my Macbook. I'm a non-premium member and only have two notes, one of which is now in the ether. The note that was lost has a great deal of data in it that will be impossible for me to reconstruct. I put in a support ticket when I found the problem yesterday.

Since I am a non-premium member, the wait for support is understandably longer than if I were a paying member. I was wondering how long the support turn around is for non-premium folk? Also, will the delayed time incurred by being non-premium make the likelihood of retrieving my data any worse? I don't mind paying a fee to have the problem rectified, but I don't think that premium membership makes sense for me on a continual basis, given that I only have these two notes.

thanks,

Mark

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi,

Problem resolved. Support got back to me and gave me a free week's worth of premium. I was then able to access note history (only available for premium accounts) which consists of earlier iterations of notes. I was able to grab one from a few days before I lost the data. It doesn't have everything in it, and it won't be simple to recreate the lost data, but I'm very happy not to have lost two years worth of entries!

thanks for the help,

Mark

Glad you got it back. I've found support to be very helpful as well. Going forward, I would suggest a couple things: use Time Machine to perform regular backups of your data (nice, because it has versions) and (if possible) sync your Evernote on another computer as well. I have a copy of my database on my Windows machine as well as my Mac, so it would be almost impossible for me to lose data (Evernote servers, Mac, Windows, and Time Machine).

Hi,

Support for free members has been withdrawn so it's unlikely you will get much help that way. You can, however, purchase a one month membership for $5.00 and then submit another ticket to see is they can help.

First though, you should check your account via the Web app to see if it's there but not, for some reason, syncing properly to all your devices.

I just had the same problem. I am pretty sure it was a bug and not my error. No reply yet from support and I am not a premium user

• Level 5*

The same thing happened to me this past weekend.  Can someone please help me recover (or at least understand) 2-3 entries from this past weekend.

Your best bet is to open a support request.

The same thing happened to me this past weekend.  Can someone please help me recover (or at least understand) 2-3 entries from this past weekend.  

I was away from Wifi for a few days (gasp, I know!).  During this time, I did make a couple of journal entries on my iPad.  But but when I made it to my parents' home on Monday, I opened Evernote.  The normal syncing process began; I saw the 2-3 entries from the weekend, but when the syncing process was complete, those 2-3 notes from the weekend were mysteriously gone.  I don't know where they went!

I looked at some forum discussions and so I tried to look in the trash folders of my iPad, MacBook and iPhone ... and it's nowhere to be found on any of the devices.  

Does anyone know where they might have disappeared to?

My entire evernote non-premium program completely disappeared along with countless notes of data for work and personal use.

i put all on local notebooks and have and external time machine as a back up for my mac. really this is a nightmare, i have no

idea where to look for it...i checked the back up and it is just gone as if it were never there at all. then i checked where some of the

data could be stored and saw some png images of some of the files, but they are incomplete. help! this is totally crazy!

Your Evernote database info is in this location, per Heather:

http://discussion.ev...ow/#entry110320

(You are only concerned with step 2 - just to be clear)

If you've lost your "local" (non-sync'd notebooks) and can't find any backups in TimeMachine, it sounds like something goofy happened on your computer. Did someone do something new/different/goofy on your computer?

My entire evernote non-premium program completely disappeared along with countless notes of data for work and personal use.

i put all on local notebooks and have and external time machine as a back up for my mac. really this is a nightmare, i have no

idea where to look for it...i checked the back up and it is just gone as if it were never there at all. then i checked where some of the

data could be stored and saw some png images of some of the files, but they are incomplete. help! this is totally crazy!

Hi,

Problem resolved. Support got back to me and gave me a free week's worth of premium. I was then able to access note history (only available for premium accounts) which consists of earlier iterations of notes. I was able to grab one from a few days before I lost the data. It doesn't have everything in it, and it won't be simple to recreate the lost data, but I'm very happy not to have lost two years worth of entries!

thanks for the help,

Mark

• Level 5*

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. The note (or the note title) is actually still present on both the iphone and macbook, but the data is missing in both places. There was a split second where I could see all of the data greyed out when I initially tried to retrieve it on my phone. After that, I went to the macbook to see if I could access it there, to no avail.

thanks,

Mark

Oh. That doesn't sound good. It sounds like you overwrote the data. Hopefully, Evernote can retrieve an earlier version of it. I'd like to recommend again going to the Web client (www.evernote.com) to check and see if you can see it there, because that is going to show you what the Evernote servers have.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. The note (or the note title) is actually still present on both the iphone and macbook, but the data is missing in both places. There was a split second where I could see all of the data greyed out when I initially tried to retrieve it on my phone. After that, I went to the macbook to see if I could access it there, to no avail.

thanks,

Mark

For non-Premium users, it depends entirely on the traffic in queue, as well as the number of Premium requests we have coming through, so the speed of response varies. We do a pretty good job of keeping it under 24-48 hours, unless the submission is over the weekend.

In the mean time, I'd check your web account, per GM's advice, and see if you can retrieve the note there.

• Level 5*

Hi,

I lost all of the data in a long note that I had. I use Evernote primarily on my Iphone, but I also access it occasionally from my Macbook. I'm a non-premium member and only have two notes, one of which is now in the ether. The note that was lost has a great deal of data in it that will be impossible for me to reconstruct. I put in a support ticket when I found the problem yesterday.

Since I am a non-premium member, the wait for support is understandably longer than if I were a paying member. I was wondering how long the support turn around is for non-premium folk? Also, will the delayed time incurred by being non-premium make the likelihood of retrieving my data any worse? I don't mind paying a fee to have the problem rectified, but I don't think that premium membership makes sense for me on a continual basis, given that I only have these two notes.

thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark. Welcome to the forums!

I don't know if there are any guarantees for free member support, but in my experience it was often same-day. Until you hear back from Evernote, maybe we can troubleshoot a little. I assume the note (not just the content, but the note itself) is not in your iPhone. If you login to Evernote on the Web (www.evernote.com) can you see your note there?

Archived