Lost notes do not always go into Trash!

idoc

OK, this has happened only a couple of times but it's pretty unusual. I was working on an important note (which contained pdf's of my business licenses for the last 10 years) when I suddenly lost the note (while momentarily flipping to another note). I realized that the note was hopelessly lost because I was unable to find it no matter what keywords, intitle search etc etc that I used. I then went immediately to Trash and tried to find it there. No luck. I scoured through the trash bin note by note and was unable to find it there either. Fortunately, I make copies of all my pdf's and was able to go directly to dropbox and retrieve the original. This has happened 3 times in the last 12 months and on each occasion I'm almost 100% sure that the original disappeared entirely from EN. Since I'm meticulous about making copies of everything it's not a serious problem but I'm still intrigued by why it happens.

Sometimes a note isn't necessarily lost, but it has been overwritten by another note (generally by "fat fingering" [when you hit a combination of keystrokes that does something unintentional, often without your even noticing], or in my case "cat-pawing" [when your cat takes control of the keyboard, usually by stepping or sitting on it]). You will then not find it in a search, because the new note has taken its place, but that note contains all of the note history for the original.

You can usually find these notes by sorting by "date updated" and looking at the "date created" - anything that you know is a new note but has a really old creation date may be the note you're looking for.

Sometimes a note isn't necessarily lost, but it has been overwritten by another note (generally by "fat fingering" [when you hit a combination of keystrokes that does something unintentional, often without your even noticing], or in my case "cat-pawing" [when your cat takes control of the keyboard, usually by stepping or sitting on it]). You will then not find it in a search, because the new note has taken its place, but that note contains all of the note history for the original.

You can usually find these notes by sorting by "date updated" and looking at the "date created" - anything that you know is a new note but has a really old creation date may be the note you're looking for.

Absolutely, I agree that this happens but this is not an anomaly it would be expected behaviour. The reason I know that this didn't happen is because I searched every possible term that was in the pdf and it didn't come up. I then put a duplicate pdf back into EN (from an archived copy) and then repeated the searches and it was found easily. Therefore, I know for a fact that the pdf was totally lost and not just misfiled. This doesn't bother me quite as much as the fact that not only was it lost, but it was not even available in the trash. Take home message: EN is wonderful 99.9% of the time, but take preventative measures for the other 0.1%.

What I'm saying is that when you overwrite a note, you overwrite the contents of the note, and thus the things you are searching for will not come up. As far as Evernote is concerned, that note does not exist anymore - but it may exist in the note history.

Our search does not search note history when it is running through search terms, only current notes.

So, when you fat finger a note and overwrite the content with a completely different note, the note you are looking for will go away, but the note history will still be attached.

Does that clarify?

• 1 year later...

I was updating a shared note when I suddenly lost it. I looked for it in the Trash (I haven't emptied the trash folder) and is not there. I tried searching by name, by keywords, by "date updated" and by "date created". But I didn't find it. I didn't find a new note with the old's note content either. 

Is it lost? 

• Level 5*

I was updating a shared note when I suddenly lost it. I looked for it in the Trash (I haven't emptied the trash folder) and is not there. I tried searching by name, by keywords, by "date updated" and by "date created". But I didn't find it. I didn't find a new note with the old's note content either. 

Is it lost?

Is it in the Trash in the account from which it's shared?

Archived