(Archived) Nexus 7

woisme

I use the ipad 2 with Penultimate and Evernote and love it. Just got the Nexus 7 for my son and my father. They both already use Evernote for different reasons and I am hoping that either Penultimate comes over to Android or that anyone can suggest a good alternative on Android and Nexus 7.

• Level 5*

I use the ipad 2 with Penultimate and Evernote and love it. Just got the Nexus 7 for my son and my father. They both already use Evernote for different reasons and I am hoping that either Penultimate comes over to Android or that anyone can suggest a good alternative on Android and Nexus 7.

Hi. I hope that your son and father are enjoying the Nexus 7. I don't think that Evernote staff will release information about their roadmap. You can infer an answer to your question, though, from this position advertised on their website :)

http://evernote.com/careers/job.php?job=o5apWfwk

I wish that I knew of a good alternative. I have never had much luck with handwriting on Android, but it seems that the device I used in the past had a bad reputation for handwriting support, so I am hoping i will have a better experience with the Nexus 7. I'll update this thread if I come across anything. Your son and father should know, though, that Google Play has a 15 minute grace period between downloading an app and being charged for the purchase (something Apple ought to have!), so they can try anything they would like.

Google Play has a 15 minute grace period between downloading an app and being charged for the purchase (something Apple ought to have!), so they can try anything they would like.

Love the idea of the grace period. I never knew, thank you. I hope I can find the right balance that I have on my ipad with Penultimate and Evernote. I'll report back if I find something too.

• Level 5*

"PenSupremacy" is supposed to be close.

I have it loaded, and it works.

Without any Apple gear, I can't comment on how the experience compares.

Regards,

Gary

Thanks! I will have to give it a try. I am happy to say that two apps I already have (Antipaper Notes and FreeNote) are working really well for me on the Nexus 7. I would say that in terms of basic functionality, they work as well as any app on the iPad, but I will have to use them a lot more before I get a sense of their capabilities. They both have the "zoom" feature, and I especially like how this is accomplished with FreeNote.

You might take a look at 7Notes. I use it on my Kindle Fire. The handwriting recognition is really pretty good, even if you are just using your finger instead of a stylus. Notes can be saved directly to Evernote (or sent out by e-mail or twitter, facebook etc). Its clearly not as rich a program as Penultimate is (at least from what I see on itunes - I'm not an iPad user) but its met my meager needs. Currently $.99 in Amazon Apps store. Imagine its the same in Google Play.

• Level 5*

You might take a look at 7Notes. I use it on my Kindle Fire. The handwriting recognition is really pretty good, even if you are just using your finger instead of a stylus. Notes can be saved directly to Evernote (or sent out by e-mail or twitter, facebook etc). Its clearly not as rich a program as Penultimate is (at least from what I see on itunes - I'm not an iPad user) but its met my meager needs. Currently $.99 in Amazon Apps store. Imagine its the same in Google Play.

Thanks! I have found 7Notes to be a pretty good app on the iPad as well (I wrote a brief review here http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/reviewhandwriting.html). However, looking on Google Play, it appears there is a free trial version that has Japanese support (at least, everything is written in Japanese). For me, this would be a huge benefit. Thanks for pointing me here :)

"PenSupremacy" is supposed to be close.

I have it loaded, and it works.

Without any Apple gear, I can't comment on how the experience compares.

Regards,

Gary

Just downloaded and it works well with Evernote. It's no Penultimate but it will do for now.

Archived