(Archived) Placeholder tags

I have my tags organised in a hierarchy much like files in windows explorer.

It'd be cool if you could mark a tag as a 'placeholder' tag. ie. you can't actually use it when tagging a note, it's just created to make a hierarchy in the tags. Ideally it wouldn't even show up when you start typing the tag name - possibly one advantage of marking it a placeholder. Maybe you could then even allow duplicate tags if they are placeholders.

Implementing it, I imagine you'd just have a tickbox in the dialog box that pops up when you create a new tag that you can tick if you want it to be a placeholder

• Level 5*

+1 for upgrading tags, not sure about the details...

Everyone uses Evernote in their own way (if you think about it, it's hard not to :unsure:) but the joy of tags is that they free notes from folder structures and can be applied with one or two keystrokes. I have too many tags and occasional trees to hide some of the more annoying ones, but I don't see where introducing a new kind of tag would help much. Agreed though that the tag system could do with a few more bells and whistles including colours and fonts so maybe the next upgrade will give you an option you could adapt, or include this particular option.

• Level 5*

Doubtful that there would be much call for designating tags in this way (adding an extra step, e.g. a dialog box to mark a tag as special would get in the way of a number of scenarios where tags are created on-the-fly, which is a useful facility), but there's an easy way for *you* to distinguish such placeholder tags: just prefix any tag that you don't want to apply to a note with a special character (for example tilde ('~')), and then never use tags beginning with that character. They'll never show up in a typeahead list if you never type that character.

Archived