(Archived) Before there was Evernote...

• Level 5*

Those were the days!

Along the lines of traditional methods, I really like this Japanese note card master's "pile of index cards" system.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

On the one hand, I want to mail him a ScanSnap and Evernote Premium gift, but on the other I think it would be cool to carry something like this through for years, because I like the material physicality of his external brain. I actually did something similar for several years (less about me, and more about the stuff I read), and had many shoeboxes and so forth full of them, but I didn't find them terribly useful, and they didn't help a bit when I wasn't at home.

I kind of understand the physicality of things. It's nice to handle something you know was handled & written by someone you admire/respect/love/etc. But I'm at least 51% on the digital side for the obvious reasons such as longevity (ability to backup/make copies), have "everywhere" (given internet access) and ease of dispensing to others, should you wish to do so. I'm actually brainstorming a project (genealogy related) that will hopefully encompass both aspects (hopefully) smoothly. That way it will be palatable for those in the older generation who either don't have internet/computer access or are not internet/computer savvy as well as the younger generation(s) who seem to like "hard copies". And if I'm able to gracefully integrate the digital/electronic aspect, that portion will survive wind/fire/rain as long as someone (me, for now) has it backed up in a cloud somewhere.

• Level 5*

Sounds exciting!

This isn't exactly the same thing, but project "Evernote Century" might be of interest for passing along those memories.

Check out this talk by Phil Libin at LeWeb June 20, 2012 (16:53-18:15). By the way, that's Lindsey there in the video as well.

Archived