(Archived) hide unassigned tags isn't working how i expect

lady3jane

Idea

i've been using evernote for years but have really started using it a lot more at a job i got in january.

i tag notes with the client name and keep all the work related notes in one notebook.

however i have also started keeping recipes in evernote.

so now, when i am in my Work notebook, my tags list is "A client, applepie, B client, butterscotch" etc. you get the idea.

i tried the hide unassigned tags, but that only works in the sidebar not the favorites.

here's what happens:

click to select work notebook

right click in tags area to hide unassigned tags

hides all the ones not for that notebook

i choose my client do my stuff and then in the tag area it is showing just the client tag i was working on

when i click to see all tags, i'm back to ALL tags not just the one for that notebook

if instead of clicking the link that says to see all tags....

if i click to Show Unassigned tags, it takes me back to the All tags list.

if i click to Hide Unassigned tags, it takes me back to just that one client i was just one, rather than the notebook list of tags.

it just seems like too many steps and too clunky and not intuitive.

before i started keeping recipes in here it was great cause i didn't tag anything else in my personal notebook.

i'm thinking i might need to create a separate work account to make this work and that doesn't seem like the best solution.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

i've been using evernote for years but have really started using it a lot more at a job i got in january.

i tag notes with the client name and keep all the work related notes in one notebook.

however i have also started keeping recipes in evernote.

so now, when i am in my Work notebook, my tags list is "A client, applepie, B client, butterscotch" etc. you get the idea.

i tried the hide unassigned tags, but that only works in the sidebar not the favorites.

here's what happens:

click to select work notebook

right click in tags area to hide unassigned tags

hides all the ones not for that notebook

i choose my client do my stuff and then in the tag area it is showing just the client tag i was working on

when i click to see all tags, i'm back to ALL tags not just the one for that notebook

if instead of clicking the link that says to see all tags....

if i click to Show Unassigned tags, it takes me back to the All tags list.

if i click to Hide Unassigned tags, it takes me back to just that one client i was just one, rather than the notebook list of tags.

it just seems like too many steps and too clunky and not intuitive.

before i started keeping recipes in here it was great cause i didn't tag anything else in my personal notebook.

i'm thinking i might need to create a separate work account to make this work and that doesn't seem like the best solution.

Hi. Welcome to the discussion forums!

Today has been an eye-opening one for me thanks to you and user ahaaa. I had never tried to use my account this way (hiding the unassigned tags in a notebook to reveal only the tags attached to notes there), and did not realize that people were. People have probably been posting about this all along, but I didn't get it :)

Well, first I'll say that I will have to give a bit of a think to the user interface. I had no idea that the left pane was enabling people to establish a connection between notebooks and tags, which operate everywhere else in your account independent of one another. While I get my head sorted out, you may want to take a look at how some people have been organizing their tags (http://www.princeton...ernote-tag.html). In my opinion, a lot of your trouble could be mitigated by adopting some of these strategies.

I can see why you might be considering a separate account. I look forward to hearing what other users have to say about the workflow you have shared with us, because it seems like one that a lot of people would be likely to use, and it is good to have several organizational ideas to choose from -- just about anything would be better than cutting your external brain in half!

ah, i had overlooked the jbenson link. that does seem like it would help.

i could append them all with a 1 or a or something so that float to the top of the list.

i've done with filenames forever don't know why i didn't think of that for this case!

a. I think the OP does have a separate notebook for recipes. That is the entire point.

b. I agree with the OP. I would find it very convenient to be able to see only the tags used in my current notebook without them disappearing once I click a note that does not use all the tags used in the notebook. That is just the way my brain works. It would be great to have an option "Show only tags used in current notebook" or rather "Notwithstanding the preceding option, hide all tags not assigned at all in the current notebook" right under "Show unassigned tags".

a. I think the OP does have a separate notebook for recipes. That is the entire point.

b. I agree with the OP. I would find it very convenient to be able to see only the tags used in my current notebook without them disappearing once I click a note that does not use all the tags used in the notebook. That is just the way my brain works. It would be great to have an option "Show only tags used in current notebook" or rather "Notwithstanding the preceding option, hide all tags not assigned at all in the current notebook" right under "Show unassigned tags".

I agree this would be a great feature in Evernote. People have been complaining about this for a long time. The problem is that when you click on a tag in the left panel, it acts as a filter, only showing notes with that tag. But since you've said "hide unassigned tags", all the other tags disappear! (Unless a note has both the tag selected and some other tag). But this isn't what many (most?) people want. You want the hierarchical display of tags to act as if they were folders and subfolders, not unlike the folders in Outlook, or even Windows Explorer. You want to be able to click around in the list and see the associated notes for each tag, without the tags disappearing on you, but still only showing tags in the currently chosen notebook.

Archived