(Archived) Evernote & Dropbox for sensitive data...

I'm dinking with a program that seems very cool - Dropbox - and am playing around with it in conjunction with Evernote, Quicken & a couple of other programs. Dropbox is another "cloud" program, but the data is stored on Amazon's S3 system and is encrypted before being stored on the S3 system. What this means is that since there are alot of my Evernotes that I don't want on Evernote's "cloud" because they contain sensitive data (the idea behind the current EN encryption is great if you have only a few things that are sensitive...but if you regularly store sensitive data, it just isn't feasible...) I understand EN's position as to why they have no plans for fully encrypted notebooks and so what I've been doing is copying/pasting my EN files between my desktop & my laptop. But Dropbox seems to be the ideal solution to keep both computers in sync and yet still be able to have alot of sensitive data encrypted when it's sitting on the "cloud" server.

I've only started dinking with this today, so cannot comment fully. But so far, I've run into one thing I don't like. Dropbox does not allow you to store your Dropbox folder (translate: sync folder) on a USB drive...unless it's mounted as a folder on an internal drive. But for many people, this may not be a problem.

I have been using this combination for some time now for exactly the reasons you specify. You need to add one more program to the mix in order to get to where you want to be......TrueCrypt. You create a TrueCrypt volume that's larger than your EverNote DB & store your DB there. That encrypted volume goes in your DropBox. Set Evernote to NO synchronization in all installations & with DropBox on multiple machines, you have secure access to your synchronized DB from any client. The only reason to then use your thumb drive for this, would be when you were utilizing a machine that did not have DropBox installed. Your thumb drive could also have TrueCrypt & Evernote installed on it so that you could have secure access to your DB, but you would have to manually update your DB there from time to time in order to keep that copy 'current'.

I realize I have simplified this process here, but you can get detailed info on this with a Google search, as well as searching on TrueCrypt here in the Evernote forums.

Seems to me that if you don't want EN3 syncing to the Evernote servers, you should use 2.2. The *only* advantage EN3 has over 2.2 is the web sync. Well, maybe the embedded PDF functionality is an additional advantage.

Otherwise, EN3 slower, clumsier, and the tagging (categories in 2.2) just ain't makin' it, in my humble opinion. You can't link to notes; you can't insert notes except by tediously changing dates; you can't order the tags / categories at will; and you can't search on special symbols for auto-tagging. In short, EN3 just doesn't have the functionality or the bounce 2.2 has / had.

Doesn't anyone else miss the bounce? I mean that literally. 2.2 was / is incredibly responsive.

Web Sync is huge, though. But if you don't want to use it, why not just put a 2.2 database into your DropBox? Wish I'd thought of it, actually. And the TrueCrypt hack is very nice.

-MkaBlm

• 3 weeks later...
Seems to me that if you don't want EN3 syncing to the Evernote servers, you should use 2.2. The *only* advantage EN3 has over 2.2 is the web sync. Well, maybe the embedded PDF functionality is an additional advantage.

Otherwise, EN3 slower, clumsier, and the tagging (categories in 2.2) just ain't makin' it, in my humble opinion. You can't link to notes; you can't insert notes except by tediously changing dates; you can't order the tags / categories at will; and you can't search on special symbols for auto-tagging. In short, EN3 just doesn't have the functionality or the bounce 2.2 has / had.

Doesn't anyone else miss the bounce? I mean that literally. 2.2 was / is incredibly responsive.

Web Sync is huge, though. But if you don't want to use it, why not just put a 2.2 database into your DropBox? Wish I'd thought of it, actually. And the TrueCrypt hack is very nice.

-MkaBlm

Yes, I did noticed that EN3 is slower than EN2. What made me move all my notes from other programs to EN2 was the speed, unlike any other program I tested. EN3 seems to have dropped the ball a bit since the interface is slower.

Archived