(Archived) Can I set a password for opening Evernote?

kcotulla

I use Evernote daily for the trivial and important - just as it was designed. However, I can't find a way to require a password when I open the program or my notebooks after closing the program.

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the amount of personal info I have in Evernote and if anyone in my office simply clicks on the green elephant icon, they have a great deal of my information suddenly available. Is there some way to require a login on each launch of Evernote?

(I use the encrypted text feature regularly, but there are scans and pdfs that it won't encrypt.) I'd like a login requirement option.

• 2 weeks later...

You're looking for a way basically to be logged out whenever you quit, correct?

An automatic logout option whenever you quit. That would be perfect.

We just changed the stay signed in checkbox (from the sign in screen) to do this. If you leave it unchecked, when you quit you'll be logged out. It won't ask you for a password everytime you sync. This is available in the latest 4.5.8 Beta 2 ( ) if you'd like to try the Betas. Otherwise, I'll be released publicly in a GA version soon.

• Level 5*
Otherwise, I'll be released publicly in a GA version soon.

You mean you have been kept under lock and key all this time? Or has it been behind (or in) bars? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean you have been kept under lock and key all this time? Or has it been behind (or in) bars? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Err... Let me consult my lawyer and/or parole officer... sometimes I don't know why I'm allowed to talk in public

Err... Let me consult my lawyer and/or parole officer... sometimes I don't know why I'm allowed to talk in public

hmmm ... loaded the pre-release you linked to, but when I quit EN and then restart, it still has me logged in. Logged off, login w/out checking the "keep me logged on" option, quit, start EN again and still logged on. I would like a feature similar to facebook, where, if you do not chose the "stay logged in" option, every quit of the program then requires a subsequent login the next time the program is loaded. Thanks!

• Level 5

hmmm ... loaded the pre-release you linked to, but when I quit EN and then restart, it still has me logged in. Logged off, login w/out checking the "keep me logged on" option, quit, start EN again and still logged on. I would like a feature similar to facebook, where, if you do not chose the "stay logged in" option, every quit of the program then requires a subsequent login the next time the program is loaded. Thanks!

How are you quitting the program? You need to right-click on the elephant icon in the notification area and select Quit to exit completely.

Hi,

One possible solution would be to implement the "pin" feature Evernote has on the mobile application version (iPad, iPhone, etc)...

1. Evernote (for windows and mac) would ask for our pin even if we don't need to insert the password to open it

2. After the application is minimized, whenever we try to re-open it, it would ask us for the pin

This would probably be the best solution, I guess...

thanks

Antonio

How are you quitting the program? You need to right-click on the elephant icon in the notification area and select Quit to exit completely.

Ah, Emerick, that did the trick. <ctrl> Q to exit forces a re-login the next time in. Perfect and thank you.

As an additional piece of feedback, if simply leaving the app (such as in Quicken, Facebook, or any banking app) could trigger the same effect (assuming a "stay logged in" option were not checked), that would be even better. Thanks again all.

BTW, in addition to quitting per the above (QTRL Q), you will have to logout once. Then, of course, all future logins should be done without the "Stay signed In" box checked.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you aren't logged in, is your local data encrypted? Or can someone just copy the local data and still see it?  Thanks!

Please search the board on security and/or encryption, since this has been discussed at great length already.  In a nutshell, Evernote data is not encrypted on your hard drive, unless you use an encryption method of your choice.

• Level 5*

When you aren't logged in, is your local data encrypted? Or can someone just copy the local data and still see it?  Thanks!

Please search the board on security and/or encryption, since this has been discussed at great length already.  In a nutshell, Evernote data is not encrypted on your hard drive, unless you use an encryption method of your choice.

Minor clarification: Evernote date is not encrypted per se but it is stored inside a SQLLite database,so it's not incredibly readable either. Of course, you can just load it into a SQLLite viewer and it's all there, more or less, if I recall correctly.

• 7 months later...

hello, 

Hello,
I am a new premium user let me first thank you for the service ! (using also evernote on windows)

I am agree with #13., I was expecting see the ping code option (in my little dream, event with 6 digits because 4 is too small for a great karma imho :)

I like the idea to have a strong password for the account, but if I want leave my desk and be back quickly, re-logon is too loog. I will be also very happy to see a setting to allow the autolock if away from keywoard after a while

Cheers,
Xavier
  • 1 month later...

Ah, Emerick, that did the trick. <ctrl> Q to exit forces a re-login the next time in. Perfect and thank you.

As an additional piece of feedback, if simply leaving the app (such as in Quicken, Facebook, or any banking app) could trigger the same effect (assuming a "stay logged in" option were not checked), that would be even better. Thanks again all.

BTW, in addition to quitting per the above (QTRL Q), you will have to logout once. Then, of course, all future logins should be done without the "Stay signed In" box checked.

Well the control Q works, but it's not that helpful that you have to remember to log out using the ctrl Q every time... It seems like login security should be a basic feature to improve.

Archived