(Archived) My Apple version works great, blackberry is a dud

So frustrated. I downloaded Evernote to my ipad, itouch and home computer, and was so impressed that I convinced my husband to download it to his blackberry 9810 phone.

The two apps have nothing in common.

When I open on the itouch, I get a nice sign in page, then am taken to my notes, with a menu on the bottom so I can chose "all notes', "notebooks" "tags" "search". everything is fine.

When I open on the blackberry 9810 phone, which has a different username and password, I get blank screen with "All Notes (0), arrow and a round thing. Nothing else. Clicking on the round thing gets me to a screen for note list options. No notes, no options. Pressing done takes me back to the annoying blank screen with "all notes(0)".

He's already deleted the app once and reinstalled.

Is it just that the evernote app for blackberry is a dud? Does anyone have any simple advice (other than banging the blackberry against my head)?

• Level 5*

So frustrated. I downloaded Evernote to my ipad, itouch and home computer, and was so impressed that I convinced my husband to download it to his blackberry 9810 phone.

The two apps have nothing in common.

When I open on the itouch, I get a nice sign in page, then am taken to my notes, with a menu on the bottom so I can chose "all notes', "notebooks" "tags" "search". everything is fine.

When I open on the blackberry 9810 phone, which has a different username and password, I get blank screen with "All Notes (0), arrow and a round thing. Nothing else. Clicking on the round thing gets me to a screen for note list options. No notes, no options. Pressing done takes me back to the annoying blank screen with "all notes(0)".

He's already deleted the app once and reinstalled.

Is it just that the evernote app for blackberry is a dud? Does anyone have any simple advice (other than banging the blackberry against my head)?

Hi. Welcome to the user forums.

I do not own a Blackberry, so I will not be very helpful here, but I just wanted to clarify something. Did you say the Blackberry Evernote account is using a different name and password? If so, then that would explain the problem with not having any notes. But, maybe I am missing something here. It never hurts to bang devices against your head :)

Hi Anie123 -

This is my first post to this forum. I just got here. But I do own a BlackBerry, and I have to agree with (who is it? Grumpy Monkey?) that the problem is that you created a completely new account on the

BlackBerry. It has to be the same account that you sign into with all your other devices.

Okay, I'm beating this to death, but my three other computers and the BlackBerry all share the same notes. They also share the same account name and password. I hope you have already fixed the problem and don't need to read this:-)

John (JayBee47)

• Level 5*

Hi Anie123 -

This is my first post to this forum. I just got here. But I do own a BlackBerry, and I have to agree with (who is it? Grumpy Monkey?) that the problem is that you created a completely new account on the

BlackBerry. It has to be the same account that you sign into with all your other devices.

Okay, I'm beating this to death, but my three other computers and the BlackBerry all share the same notes. They also share the same account name and password. I hope you have already fixed the problem and don't need to read this:-)

John (JayBee47)

Hey, welcome to the discussion forums! It's good to see someone with more experience responding, and I'm glad to see that my suggestion wasn't totally off base :)

Thank you both for replying, I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have led you both astray. The intention was never to share our evernote account - he would have his on his blackberry devices, I would have mine on my apple, and we would only take advantage of the evernote option to email a list to each other, not wanting to edit any of each others' lists.

So, my point was only that evernote for apple works as described on my apple devices. But we cannot get evernote to work properly on a blackberry 9810 phone. It isn't that there aren't any notes, we didn't expect any. But there's no ability to create a note. I did send an email to the email identified as support for this app at blackberry app world, and it bounced back as undeliverable.

Again, I apologize for causing the confusion.

Anie

• Level 5*

Thank you both for replying, I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have led you both astray. The intention was never to share our evernote account - he would have his on his blackberry devices, I would have mine on my apple, and we would only take advantage of the evernote option to email a list to each other, not wanting to edit any of each others' lists.

So, my point was only that evernote for apple works as described on my apple devices. But we cannot get evernote to work properly on a blackberry 9810 phone. It isn't that there aren't any notes, we didn't expect any. But there's no ability to create a note. I did send an email to the email identified as support for this app at blackberry app world, and it bounced back as undeliverable.

Again, I apologize for causing the confusion.

Anie

Do you see anything like this?

I am wondering if that arrow and circle is trying to get you to create your first note.

Hi Anie -

Your experience does seem a bit different from what I remember, but I have two suggestions:

1. When you install most BlackBerry apps, there is a prompt that asks you if you would like

to make the new app a Trusted App. If you read further, it explains that this means giving the

app unfettered access to your e-mail, the wireless link, etc. If it's a game, I refuse, but some

apps, including games, do not work properly without the access they ask for, and seem to

malfunction in strange ways, like skipping a screen. In my really limited experience, they don't

explain that they can't work properly without Trusted App status.

I don't remember whether Evernote asked for this permission, but if it did, I said yes.

2. Getting back to your particular situation, the *empty* screen you described is just like my

All Notes screen (except mine isn't empty any more). I even see the arrow and circle you mention

and clicking on the circle does give you an options screen. But I usually get kind of menu screen

first, and that lets me choose to make a new note or view all the notes, etc.

What you might want to try - if

you haven't already done it - is to go to the empty screen and then push the BlackBerry key

with the seven dots. If you get a pop-up menu, one of the choices, should be "Create Text Note".

If you can create a note, possibly you will then get an introductory screen when you open Evernote for

the second time. If this doesn't work, then try re-installing once again and look for the opportunity

to give evernote Trusted App status.

This is mostly guesswork, but I think it's worth a try.

John

Thanks John. My husband is a reluctant techie at the best of times, and his blackberry experience has not, so far, been a good one. So I'm going to continue to use evernote on my apple products, and he's downloaded a simpler checklist app for his blackberry. We won't be able to share, which was the whole idea to start with, but this solution leads to a more peaceful living room. If he's ever willing to try it again, I'll alert him to the trusted app option.

Thank you everyone who tried. I'm quite happy with evernote on my ipad and itouch.

• Level 5*

Thanks John. My husband is a reluctant techie at the best of times, and his blackberry experience has not, so far, been a good one. So I'm going to continue to use evernote on my apple products, and he's downloaded a simpler checklist app for his blackberry. We won't be able to share, which was the whole idea to start with, but this solution leads to a more peaceful living room. If he's ever willing to try it again, I'll alert him to the trusted app option.

Thank you everyone who tried. I'm quite happy with evernote on my ipad and itouch.

Sorry to hear about your BB problems. I know some reluctant techies myself :)

Archived