(Archived) REQUEST: sub/super-script

CPMoellering

Idea

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hmm. As with my kids, there is a gulf between "knowing" and "doing." I can't see that it would be that tough to add this.

I don't know if it is tough or not. Rather, I suspect they have prioritized other features, and want to focus on those instead. They get a lot of requests for features, after all, and even if they all sound perfectly valid and easy to implement, I am sure they have a bunch of stuff on the roadmap already to do. A lot of the suggestions I have made also seem (to me) quite innocuous, but they haven't been implemented yet. That's their call, and I trust the developers know what they are doing.

But, I think it is still good for us to voice our thoughts on these things to remind them that there are users out her looking for the feature, so it's great that you posted :)

Agreed. I'm not a coder, so what do I know. From what I understand, the underlying notes are essentially html....though I may be wrong. I know enough html to know that the format tags already exist, so it's just a matter of making a button to insert them "underneath" what we see.

Just strikes me as odd that I can do it on the web version but not Mac.

Alas.I'll just have to dealwith it. ;)

• Level 5*

Agreed. I'm not a coder, so what do I know. From what I understand, the underlying notes are essentially html....though I may be wrong. I know enough html to know that the format tags already exist, so it's just a matter of making a button to insert them "underneath" what we see.

Just strikes me as odd that I can do it on the web version but not Mac.

Alas.I'll just have to dealwith it. ;)

You are correct about the HTML. It is basically a forked version called ENML.

Each of the clients has its own stuff that doesn't appear on other ones. The iPad and iPhone have highlighting, the iPhone has notebook stacks and the iPad doesn't, only the Mac and Windows desktop versions can create note links, etc., etc. I think Evernote is working first for feature parity across clients regarding the core elements. Parity takes time and effort!

Although the programming looks/sounds relatively simple to implement (I have only dabbled so far, so this is not an informed opinion), there are all sorts of implications to consider as the apps are constantly being updated, and everything has to be supported across every platform

• Level 5*
That's their call, and I trust the developers know what they are doing.

Well, I'm not sure if this is about trust. Although, we seem to have quite a few of long-standing Search bugs. I'm not sure how that plays in the the "trust" equation.

To me, trust is earned when people do what they say.

Evernote has been saying for a long time that they will provide parity across EN clients, but the EN Mac client has been far behind the EN Win client for at least 2 years, if not more.

IAC, I think it is more about priorities. And, to be honest, I think Evernote has recently gotten into a mode of putting form BEFORE function, rather than AFTER function. The recent large investment of developer resources to provide a new UI for multi-select options that did NOT provide any new functionality, just a new UI, is a good example. Adding this UI caused quite few new bugs, which then, of course, had to be fixed.

Instead of a new UI that duplicates functionality, I think many users would prefer that they added new features.

Just my opinion.

Tools for raising or lowering the baseline is built into OS X's typography tools. I can do it in Pages I can do it in Numbers, I can do it in friggin' TextEdit without any extra anything installed. Heck, I can Copy and Paste a piece of text from Pages into Evernote if I want to, and the Superscripts and Subscripts come along.

…and yet here I am, going to the Evernote website every time I need to type notes for this math class I'm taking because the Mac client doesn't support subscript creation. It's silly and at this point, it has to be about priorities, because it's not technically difficult to do.

Archived