(Archived) Feedback on new Evernote app, "Caroline"

James Davis

Has anyone been using the Android app, "Caroline"?

( Found here: http://devcup.everno...s/8744-caroline ). It's in Beta, so it's free to download there for the moment. I will probably charge for it on the Google Play marketplace after the Evernote Devcup competition ends, and after it's completely polished and improved on.

It's an app that allows you to tell Caroline to remember something on the fly. She'll use your Evernote account to organize your thoughts for you, and show them to you whenever you like.

I received a couple of suggestions on making it better, and would love to get some more feedback and critisisms on it. For instance, one suggestion I received was to give Caroline the ability to create lists without having to press record on every item (I've been working on it, but it's a Google-related issue I can't get around at the moment).

I'd really appreciate any and all critisisms! Thanks in advance!

~ James

• Level 5*

Has anyone been using the Android app, "Caroline"?

( Found here: http://devcup.everno...s/8744-caroline ). It's in Beta, so it's free to download there for the moment. I will probably charge for it on the Google Play marketplace after the Evernote Devcup competition ends, and after it's completely polished and improved on.

It's an app that allows you to tell Caroline to remember something on the fly. She'll use your Evernote account to organize your thoughts for you, and show them to you whenever you like.

I received a couple of suggestions on making it better, and would love to get some more feedback and critisisms on it. For instance, one suggestion I received was to give Caroline the ability to create lists without having to press record on every item (I've been working on it, but it's a Google-related issue I can't get around at the moment).

I'd really appreciate any and all critisisms! Thanks in advance!

~ James

Hi James. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your submission to the Evernote Devcup!

I was actually looking at it over the weekend when I went through all of the submissions (there are so many!), but I haven't had a chance to download it and try any yet. I am looking forward to it. Just a reminder to everyone that you can vote for several each day, so head on over there when you get a chance and give a vote to something if you want to see it go on and be a finalist. You'll be benefitting the developers, who can use the data to develop better marketing/features, and you'll be benefitting all of us, because we'll get cool third-party integrations into our external brains :)

Hi James! I installed Caroline on my tablet. When I tried to use it, she said "Please sign in to Evernote." I was already signed in through the Android Evernote app, but I signed out, then signed back in, and waited for my note snippets to rebuild before trying again. I got the same response. I then went to the web sign in, and signed in there and tried Caroline again, but got the same response. Am I doing something wrong?

Since I can't actually use the app yet, the only two suggestions I have so far are:

the option to use Caroline in landscape mode on tablets. I almost never use my tablet in portrait, except occasionally for reading books.

The other thing I noticed is that the way she says "Evernote" is a little strange...sounds like Evernhaught.

I'm looking forward to this app. I can see it being really useful along with Evernote right now. I've gone through almost all of the devcup entries, and of the ones I would be able to use on my device, there were only a handful that I noted that I was really excited about, and Caroline is one of them. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, due to the time restraints, I kept it in portrait because I wanted to think about the landscape layout, and how it would relate to Tablets. I didn't want Caroline to simply flip to landscape, but to change to a better-fitting design.... which isn't hard, just didn't have the time before. But I do now! lol

The log-in problem is a bit weird. Firstly, since the app is technically independant from "Evernote for Android", it will ask you to log in regardless if you're logged into the main app or not. Though, however, after you log in, Caroline should remember this and never ask you again (unless you empty your cache or something). And it's working on my phone just fine, so I'll have to look into it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comments. I will update the app soon (after the contest is over). It will definitely fit your tablets much better.

Also, I will be releasing a version that's not attached to Evernote, that allows you to save reminders locally instead of saving each note to Evernote.... possibly a local/Evernote hybrid of some sort. I'll keep you updated. :D

T

Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, due to the time restraints, I kept it in portrait because I wanted to think about the landscape layout, and how it would relate to Tablets. I didn't want Caroline to simply flip to landscape, but to change to a better-fitting design.... which isn't hard, just didn't have the time before. But I do now! lol

The log-in problem is a bit weird. Firstly, since the app is technically independant from "Evernote for Android", it will ask you to log in regardless if you're logged into the main app or not. Though, however, after you log in, Caroline should remember this and never ask you again (unless you empty your cache or something). And it's working on my phone just fine, so I'll have to look into it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your comments. I will update the app soon (after the contest is over). It will definitely fit your tablets much better.

Also, I will be releasing a version that's not attached to Evernote, that allows you to save reminders locally instead of saving each note to Evernote.... possibly a local/Evernote hybrid of some sort. I'll keep you updated. :D

Thank you for responding back, James. On the tablet, she asked me to log in to Evernote, and a message at the bottom of her screen said "contacting Evernote" then "Evernote login failed" So she never brought up the Evernote signin screen, and didn't recognize when I went to the sign in screen manually and signed in.

I installed Caroline on my phone, and it does work there, at least partially. When I tap her she says "Please sign in to Evernote" and brings up the sign in screen. I did get to set a few reminders, but when I say "Show me my reminders" they only come up about half the time. The rest of the time I get a screen that says "Reminders" but the page is blank.

I'll keep checking back from time to time. I think this will be a really good app to have in conjunction with Evernote...especially if you add the ability for Caroline to pop up and remind me to do something at a predetermined time.

You know that awkward moment when you fix an error, but someone else gets that error anyway? Awkward and painful, lol. I'm talking about the Reminders showing up half of the time problem. I get my reminders every single time. I'm looking into the problem, but it's not an obvious fix.

The DevCup just officially ended, so I'll start designing Caroline for tablets soon, so stay tuned. You guys have been so helpful.

Archived