(Archived) POLL: Favorites bar in Evernote for Mac

Jackolicious

Favorites bar in Evernote  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the favorites bar in Evernote? (select all that apply)

• I don't use it / What's the favorites bar?
    • I use it for Notes
    • I use it for Notebooks
    • I use it for Tags
    • I use it for Saved Searches

Idea

7 replies to this idea

I find the Favorites Bar a very useful adjunct to EN.

As I previously suggested in an earlier beta discussion, it would be improved if it had a kind of alias mechanism, whereby we could shorten the title of notes in the FB to save space, while leaving actual note titles intact.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the poll!

I don't use the favorites bar as much as I probably ought to because I tend to use a lot of devices (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android) and I forget it is there. I think it certainly answers a need expressed by many people for pinned notes and favorites. However, I do wonder if perhaps having pinned notes (in the center pane) would be better.

• Level 5*

I use it for notes, notebooks and saved searches. Being able to just pin notes in the centre pane would not come close to being as useful.

I wonder if most users, though, know about the bar, much less about its ability to handle more than notes. I don't have an answer, because I have no data, but there is a poll, so I assume there are questions about how well it is working. Maybe Evernote needs to find a way to convey the potential uses for it to users -- in a non-"Clippy" like way, of course!

• Level 5*

With some decent documentation maybe.....

I prefer to use an app and discover it's limits myself, but there are lots and lots of people out there who like to RTFM first. If the manual is pretty useless then these people will never discover this kind of really useful functionality.

• Level 5*

With some decent documentation maybe.....

I prefer to use an app and discover it's limits myself, but there are lots and lots of people out there who like to RTFM first. If the manual is pretty useless then these people will never discover this kind of really useful functionality.

Well, I think a new manual is definitely in order. There are important omissions from the Mac version. But, given how quickly Evernote iterates, it might be a good idea to put it into HTML or some other format that encourages more frequent updates and discovery by curious users.

• Level 5*

Absolutely, it needs to be online, it needs to be updated each time a new release comes out for each client and it needs to be correct. In the Enterprise world, a release isn't ready to be released until the documentation has been updated - it's different out here in the consumer universe.

I remember Heather saying that they were looking to hire someone to do it though.

Archived