Documents That Need Signing

DigitalLynn

Hi All,

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, got myself a ScanSnap 1300s, and have jumped into paperless like a maniac. I've garnered a ton of great info from these discussions. Big thanks to all that are contributing!

I've come to my first obstacle that I can't find a good solution for. I receive quite a few documents that I need to sign and I'm wondering, how do you guys handle this? Of course, I could just print, sign, scan and send back out, but I'm wondering if there is a better solution.

• I have my signature and initials scanned so if the document comes in Word or something similar, it's pretty easy.
  • Acrobat has digital signing capabilities but I'm not sure how many people use/accept the documents that way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lynn

You definitely don't want to do the print-sign-scan if you can avoid it.

Assuming you're on Windows, recent versions of the free Acrobat Reader have signing capabilities, so you can use that to drop your signature into any PDF that requires it. I wrote a blog post about that a while ago: http://www.documentsnap.com/acrobat-reader-sign-pdf/.

You shouldn't need to worry about people accepting it or not. If your signature is a decent-quality scan, they shouldn't be able to tell whether you signed it with your pen and scanned it or with Acrobat Reader. It should look the same.

I do this all the time (albeit on the Mac) and have never had a problem.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, got myself a ScanSnap 1300s, and have jumped into paperless like a maniac. I've garnered a ton of great info from these discussions. Big thanks to all that are contributing!

I've come to my first obstacle that I can't find a good solution for. I receive quite a few documents that I need to sign and I'm wondering, how do you guys handle this? Of course, I could just print, sign, scan and send back out, but I'm wondering if there is a better solution.

It appears you're talking about DIGITAL docs you get? If so, I think it depends. For my expense reports, I just use the same cover sheet, with my sig, edit the date range in my image editing software & it says "see attached".

OTOH, if it's something more critical, you may want to print/sign & scan. IE, I don't know if a doc would stand up in court if someone just pasted a sig via Photoshop or some other document editing software.

Thanks for all the info.

I am talking about digital docs, usually of the legal contract variety. I've got a couple on my desktop that I'm just about to send to my lawyer that I've signed via Acrobat's (the Pro version) signing feature. My barometer is going to be, if it's okay with her, it probably will stand up in court.

If that doesn't work, I'll either use a service like Right Signature or DocuSign when needed. Or, I'll just print, sign scan.

Brooks - thank you for the link to your blog post. I'll give it a read.

Lynn

Archived