(Archived) Evernote keeps sharing the same note rather than the updated one

jeffweiss9

I have Evernote on my Android 4.0.1 Sensation 4G and it has worked fine up to now. Today I have been trying to share via email an updated note on my device so I can print it on my desktop but Evernote keeps sending to my email the same URL with an old version of the note. I tried disabling the URL and sharing again with a new URL but the same thing happened. The URL in the message being sent points to an old version of the note rather than the most recent updated version.

Is the system not working? Or what do I do to get it to actually share the new, updated note??? Very disappointing and frustrating as I had come to rely on this program.

Thanks,

-Jeff

NOTE CONFLICT???

I continue flailing away at it and noted I'm now getting on my Android Evernote the message:

"Note conflict EM200 Polar Alignment" where the last three words are the title of the note in question so now there are two notes: the original and the one appended with Note Conflict. It is the original one that keeps getting shared when I try to share the one appended with Note Conflict..

What is that about??? Is it something to do with the fact that I asked to send my login password several times and each time, instead of doing that, it said it opened another Evernote account (I must have 5 of them now) on my desktop so maybe it doesn't know where its sending them? I don't want to link or know how to link to any of them as I only want Evernote on my Android.

When I deleted the original note so there is only the note appended with "Note Conflict", then share actually worked and links me to the correct note (the only one still on my device).

I edited the Note Conflict note to remove those two words from its title and it seems I'm back to normal. What is going on with "Note Conflict" anyway and how do I avoid all this in the future???

Thanks again.

-Jeff

• Level 5*

Hi Jeff and welcome to the Forums. As you may know, the Evernote server is the final arbiter of what's the latest version of a note, and normally as devices sync with it, the server sees edits that clearly run in a given order, each one overwriting an older note. The Server is smart enough to recognise when a 'new' edit is actually older than the note it has already received, and it doesn't know without your intervention which of these note versions it should keep - hence the 'note conflict'. You may find that note is also in a notebook called "conflicting edits" or some such.

The fact you inadvertently have 5 accounts (really?) suggests that at some stage you were having a little trouble connecting with the server, and that might be when this conflict started. You seem to have taken the necessary steps to get back to normal, although I'd check what notebook your note is currently in and make sure it's not the 'conflict' one before you try sending out the note again.

As a best practice working on mobile (and sometimes difficult to connect) systems, you really need to make sure that you sync before you start a notetaking session, and again when you end it, to avoid such conflicts. If they do occur it's no big deal - make sure you have the note contents you require by copy/ paste, delete any 'conflict' copies and carry on.

I have Evernote on my Android 4.0.1 Sensation 4G and it has worked fine up to now. Today I have been trying to share via email an updated note on my device so I can print it on my desktop but Evernote keeps sending to my email the same URL with an old version of the note. I tried disabling the URL and sharing again with a new URL but the same thing happened. The URL in the message being sent points to an old version of the note rather than the most recent updated version.

Is the system not working? Or what do I do to get it to actually share the new, updated note??? Very disappointing and frustrating as I had come to rely on this program.

Thanks,

-Jeff

NOTE CONFLICT???

I continue flailing away at it and noted I'm now getting on my Android Evernote the message:

"Note conflict EM200 Polar Alignment" where the last three words are the title of the note in question so now there are two notes: the original and the one appended with Note Conflict. It is the original one that keeps getting shared when I try to share the one appended with Note Conflict..

What is that about??? Is it something to do with the fact that I asked to send my login password several times and each time, instead of doing that, it said it opened another Evernote account (I must have 5 of them now) on my desktop so maybe it doesn't know where its sending them? I don't want to link or know how to link to any of them as I only want Evernote on my Android.

When I deleted the original note so there is only the note appended with "Note Conflict", then share actually worked and links me to the correct note (the only one still on my device).

I edited the Note Conflict note to remove those two words from its title and it seems I'm back to normal. What is going on with "Note Conflict" anyway and how do I avoid all this in the future???

Thanks again.

-Jeff

It sounds like you've totally muffed up your account(s) & should submit a support ticket. (See my sig.)

First, IME, once a note has been shared, you do not need to get a different URL after you've modified that same note. The user may need to refresh from their browser, but it's still the same note, unless you've copied it or merged it & any changes to that note will be reflected to the person(s) you've shared it with.

Second, conflicting notes occur when you've modified a note multiple times before it gets sync'd to the EN servers, which as Gazumped pointed out, is the source of all truths. This normally happens when you've been switching between devices/computers.

Third, why are you sharing the note if all you want to do is print it from your desktop??? Just log into the web version (or install the Mac/Windows desktop client). No sharing involved. Sharing is for uh, sharing, a note in your database with someone else & of course, you don't want that other person to have your login information.

Fourth, simply requesting your login password will NOT generate a new account. So I really have no idea what you've been doing while "flailing away at it." But I think you just need to stop & have someone from EN address this.

Thanks, Gz & BnF-

I guess I missed a few fundamental concepts as I've been using Evernote on my Android pretty much just as a replacement for the Windows Mobile Notes program I had running on my trusty ancient PDA that the smartphone replaced. I had never logged into the Web version but just did so and, verily, that might also be quite useful. In 'flailing away' at the problem, I seem to have pretty much done what was suggested in making sure the Note Conflict version was the one I wanted and renaming it after deleting the other one, both in the same notebook with no conflict notebooks there. I think I now understand that there is a big version in sky that the Android is sync'ing with; (something I wasn't sure of) and the notes are not solely resident on the device (as they were in WM). I also think I understand what probably triggered the Note Conflict (a new concept not encountered previously) was making fast and furious changes to the note before there was a sync. And thanks to your advice, I will clearly at least check the sync status at start and stop of working, although now I realize that a note conflict, if it occurs, is pretty easy to straighten out and certainly no cause for panic.

Think I'm back on course without need to file a ticket.

Thanks,again.

-Jeff

Archived