(Archived) Search Multiple Shared Notebooks At Once

Hello there,

Unless I am missing something, it seems I can only search one shared notebook (*per owner at least) at a time.

I would like to be able to 'stack' them, or search all shared at one time.

Am I missing something?

Would this be something to add to a later release?

Thanks!

Mike Gartner

(I've attached a picture showing where it only lets me choose one notebook, or the other ... but not both)

post-97267-0-38954800-1340992474_thumb.p

• Level 5*

Hello there,

Unless I am missing something, it seems I can only search one shared notebook (*per owner at least) at a time.

I would like to be able to 'stack' them, or search all shared at one time.

Am I missing something?

Would this be something to add to a later release?

Thanks!

Mike Gartner

(I've attached a picture showing where it only lets me choose one notebook, or the other ... but not both)

post-97267-0-38954800-1340992474_thumb.p

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

You are correct. You can only search one shared notebook at a time. I hope the developers will consider adding the ability to search through multiple notebooks, and even the ability to search through all shared and owned notebooks at once.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hi. I think this thread will do just fine. The developers are active in the forums and will read it, if they haven't already.

The best workaround I know is Spotlight, which also gives you some nice search capabilities as well (see my page here http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html), but this is restricted to Macs.

• 4 months later...

As an avid Evernote user and business owner, I would like the ability to search multiple shared notebooks as well; however, I doubt it will come as Evernote Business covers this function at $10 a person per month. Who would pay this if it was available for free or even in the Premium account?

I don't know if this would work, but I'm thinking of simply creating a single Premium account for the business and setting up every computer's Evernote program to use that account. with all data going into the same account, it would be searchable. I am already using my account on three separate computers and two iOS devices. The only problem I can see is possibly going over the upload limit.

Any thoughts?

• Level 5*

As an avid Evernote user and business owner, I would like the ability to search multiple shared notebooks as well; however, I doubt it will come as Evernote Business covers this function at $10 a person per month. Who would pay this if it was available for free or even in the Premium account?

I don't know if this would work, but I'm thinking of simply creating a single Premium account for the business and setting up every computer's Evernote program to use that account. with all data going into the same account, it would be searchable. I am already using my account on three separate computers and two iOS devices. The only problem I can see is possibly going over the upload limit.

Any thoughts?

Hi. I am a little confused by your question / plan. You currently can search mulitple joined notebooks at once on the desktop clients (Mac and Windows) regardless of your account level: free, premium, or business.

Your plan would work fine. So would you purchasing a Premium account and inviting all of your employees into shared notebooks. This would enable them to keep their personal accounts and work together with everyone on other projects.

• Level 5*

Couple of points:

* Since the original post was relevant to Windows, it might be useful to look into forum member roschler's BitQwik application: http://www.bitqwik.com/. This application allows a number of more flexible search capabilities, including, I believe multiple named notebooks.

* You can search multiple notebooks at a time if they are all in the same stack, using the "stack:<stack name>" search term. This is a persistable item, meaning that it's part of the Evernote search grammar, you can use it in a saved search.

* As far as I know, you cannot search explicitly/exclusively across all joined notebooks (i.e. notebooks shared to you) in the Windows client; there is no search term that supports this, and no UI operation either. You'd need to put them into a stack (where the prior point applies). Even so, you can't do this on all of the mobile devices; for example, the Android client doesn't appear to allow joined notebooks to a stack, as yu can in the Windows client.

* You cannot mix Business notebooks with Personal notebooks (which makes sense). So there's no way to search a mix of Business and Personal notebooks, unless you are searching across All Notebooks.

• Level 5*

The Windows client is different now, though. The OP was using the old version, which only let you search one notebook at a time (a very limited experience). Now, you can search everything (your notebooks and joined notebooks -- business and shared) all at once, or just your own notes, right? On the Mac, you have no choice, and it is all or nothing.

Of course, if you want to search only the joined notebooks, the stack is the way to go. If you have control over the joined notebooks (your accounts, those of employees, those of friends, etc.) you can ask them to tag everything (maybe with "shared" or "joined") and you can then do a search filtering for tag:shared to see only results from those notebooks.

• Level 5*

The Windows client has had the ability to search multiple notebooks via the stack: search term for some time, as far as I can recall.

Let's identify several sets of notes:

* O: The set of notes in your own notebooks

* J: The set of notes in your joined notebooks

* B: The set of notes in your business notebooks. Note that O, J, and B are discrete and non-overlapping sets.

* P: The set of notes in your own notebooks plus joined notebooks. I.e., P = O + J

* N: The set of all notes that you can see in your account (not counting the Trash). N = P + B (or O + J + B, if you will)

In the current Windows beta, here is what you can do:

* Search N: select Notebooks at the root (shows "All Notebooks" in the search info notebook dropdown). You can also select "All Notebooks" at any time in the search info notebook dropdown, but there's no entry for this in the Favorites bar dropdown. This is the default search context for the search grammar if you do not use the notebook: or stack: search term

* Search O: select "All My Notes" in the notebook tree (shows "All My Notes" in the search info notebook dropdown). There is no entry for this in either the search info notebook dropdown or the the Favorites bar notebook dropdown. There is no way to select this set in the search grammar.

* Search J: Cannot search these as a group, in any way that I can see, either via the notebook panel, the search info dropdown, the Favorites bar notebook dropdown or the search grammar.

* Search P: select "Personal" in the notebook tree (shows "Personal Notebooks" in the search info notebook dropdown). There is no entry for this in either the search info notebook dropdown or the the Favorites bar notebook dropdown. There is no way to select this set in the search grammar.

* Search B: select "Business" in the notebook tree (shows "Business Notebooks" in the search info notebook dropdown). There is no entry for this in either the search info notebook dropdown or the the Favorites bar notebook dropdown. There is no way to select this set in the search grammar.

As far as I know...

• 6 months later...

Here is a kludge for searching multiple notebooks:

Suppose you have a notebook for waivers, performer's releases. You might put them in a stack - Forms.

But if Evernote can't search a stack or multiple note books, then you can select all in each notebook, and apply a "Forms" tag.

Now you can search for a first or last name with the Forms tag, if you want to see both. Or you can search for a first or last name in just the notebook that you want.

• Level 5*

Here is a kludge for searching multiple notebooks:

Suppose you have a notebook for waivers, performer's releases. You might put them in a stack - Forms.

But if Evernote can't search a stack or multiple note books, then you can select all in each notebook, and apply a "Forms" tag.

Now you can search for a first or last name with the Forms tag, if you want to see both. Or you can search for a first or last name in just the notebook that you want.

Evernote can already search a stack of notebooks, and has been able to do this for some time. You can do stuff with tags, too.

Archived