REQUEST: Web Clipper for iOS Chrome & Axis

JMichaelTX

• Level 5*

Now that both Google Chrome and Yahoo Axis have web browsers for Apple iOS, will Evernote provide a web clipper for iOS?

For more info, see

Google puts Chrome on iPhone and iPad (update 2: it's out)

The single biggest reason that EN iPad cannot be my primary EN client is that Evernote does NOT provide a web clipper for iPad that is as capable as that for EN Mac or EN Win.

• Level 5*

I'd also like to add the Dolphin mobile browser to this request.

Apparently there is an Evernote web-clipper plugin for Dolphin Android, but I couldn't find one for Apple iOS:

Dolphin also announced the addition of four new add-ons from Dropbox, Evernote, Pocket, and Wikipedia that expand what you can do with the wide-ranging mobile browser. The company writes of its new third-party add-ons:

Powered by Dolphin Garage, users can now seamlessly experience the following on Dolphin:

• Dropbox:
allows users to download anything and everything directly to Dropbox from within Dolphin.

• Evernote:
helps users grab any Web content from Dolphin and save it to Evernote.

• Pocket:
allows users to save any page with one click from within Dolphin, then view later on any device, anywhere.

• Wikipedia:
powered by PhoneGap, allows users to search Wikipedia from Dolphin and open 20 million Wiki articles in 280 languages, without needing to install a native app.

• Level 5*

Now that both Google Chrome and Yahoo Axis have web browsers for Apple iOS, will Evernote provide a web clipper for iOS?

For more info, see

Google puts Chrome on iPhone and iPad (update 2: it's out)

The single biggest reason that EN iPad cannot be my primary EN client is that Evernote does NOT provide a web clipper for iPad that is as capable as that for EN Mac or EN Win.

I've posted several places about this JM.

It is easy to clip web pages on the iPad just as you would on the Mac if you use the iCab Mobile browser. I would suggest this method, because the browser is pretty good. In my case, it handles encoding well. There are a few quirks (like when using the Evernote User forum), but on the whole, it works about as good as Safari.

An alternative, though limited method for getting clips of web pages is to click on a link (to Google or any other site) from within Evernote so that Evernote opens up the site using the native browser (Safari), but because it is working within Evernote (and missing some features because of this) you can easily clip web pages. Give either method a try :)

• Level 5*

It is easy to clip web pages on the iPad just as you would on the Mac if you use the iCab Mobile browser. I would suggest this method, because the browser is pretty good. In my case, it handles encoding well. There are a few quirks (like when using the Evernote User forum), but on the whole, it works about as good as Safari.

GM, thanks for the info on iCab. I had tried it some time ago and it didn't work that well.

However, I just tested it and now it seems to work quite well.

While iCab iPad is still not a good as FireFox on the Mac, it seems to be the best iPad EN Clipper available.

But I wonder how many EN iPad users know about iCab? I can't find any references to it on the Evernote web site. No matter how much it is mentioned on the EN user group, it is irrelavent to the millions of EN users who never come here.

Seems to me if iCab offers the best web clipper on the iPad, Evernote should make this known on their web site.

My point in mentioning Google Chrome is that many people use and prefer Chrome. So it would seem logical for Evernote to provide a iPad Chrome web clipper.

• Level 5*

I haven't downloaded Chrome yet, but I have heard good things. iCab Mobile is actually rather popular, but mainly among people who want lots and lots of functionality (I need control over encoding and my web clipping). Most people just suffer under Safari (so much potential, but so little functionality). I would guess that Chrome is (or will be) #2 soon. A web clipper there for EN would be great :)

• Level 5*

I haven't downloaded Chrome yet, but I have heard good things. iCab Mobile is actually rather popular, but mainly among people who want lots and lots of functionality (I need control over encoding and my web clipping). Most people just suffer under Safari (so much potential, but so little functionality).

I suspect that most iPad users have never heard of iCab. That's why I think Evernote needs to mention it on their web site.

Having said that, I will admit iCab is an example of what Evernote fears: It offers so many options in a confusing manner as to make the options not so useful. I had to play around with iCab for a while before I discovered how to use the Evernote clipper.

I personally would rather have lots of options with some confusion rather than few options with a lot of clarity.

But I realize that many others do not share my preference.

The key is that it *is* possible to provide lots of options with a lot of clarity making it easy for most users.

However, few software designers are able to achieve this. It is not easy, and it takes time and lots of testing with end users.

• Level 5*

I've finally downloaded Chrome and given it a try. This is one beautiful-looking user interface. I love it. I think the browser feels unfinished at the moment, and it lacks features that will make it useful for me (or the 1 billion + people in the world who use Asian-language sites -- no control at the moment over encoding), but it is a great start! I am very impressed, and looking forward to an Evernote integration. In the meantime, back to iCab :)

Yes, I just installed the very same Java Script I picked up somewhere to clip to EN in Safari. Initially, it took a very long time to connect to EN & then it stalled when I logged in; but, it has now worked flawlessly.

The JS script is:

javascript:(function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

Hope it works for others.

Yes, I just installed the very same Java Script I picked up somewhere to clip to EN in Safari. Initially, it took a very long time to connect to EN & then it stalled when I logged in; but, it has now worked flawlessly.

The JS script is:

javascript:(function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

Hope it works for others.

Forgot to add that you need to give the bookmark a unique name. I used EN. Then when you go to clip you need to blank out the url space and enter your unique name (in my case "EN") in quotes. As you do this chrome will give you completion suggestions tap on the one that has a star next to it and the script will run. You know what to do from there. Happy Clipping!

The best way to get something changed is to ask for it!!

I use Chrome on my iPad and iPhone is it is easier to use than Safari.

So please, please, please release a web clipper for Chrome iOS.

Did I forget to say please?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The best way to get something changed is to ask for it!!

I use Chrome on my iPad and iPhone is it is easier to use than Safari.

So please, please, please release a web clipper for Chrome iOS.

Did I forget to say please?

Thanks

We might not be Chrome, but since you asked so nicely... Dolphin Browser is working on integrating Evernote webclipping into our iOS versions :)

We're collecting feedback over on this forum post, so if there are specific things you're looking for, let us know!

• 3 months later...

Archived