Posting to a Blog from Evernote

It's great to see that so many other people use Evernote as a blogging tool. I've been doing this for just over a year with my iPod Touch, and it's completely changed the way that I go about writing. It's changed the way I write to such an extent that WordPress and Tumblr no longer seemed like effective platforms for blogging ... so I created my own.

I've been working on this project off and on for the better part of six months where I write articles on my iPod Touch or through one of the desktop clients. When I'm happy with the result, I drop it into the "Published" notebook. From there, Noteworthy (my blogging software) uses the Evernote API to read the new notes in that notebook and publishes them to the web.

You can read more about the project here.

There is no (real) administration panel. There are no difficult settings to configure and understand. This is just a simple tool that takes what is posted in Evernote and pushes it out to the web (after cleaning it up a little bit).

Is this something that you would be interested in using? In the next few months I hope to have a bit more polish on the application so that it can be rolled out for anyone to use. I'd love to hear your opinion.

• Level 5*

I have an avowed intention to be the Laziest Person in the World, and a distinct aversion to the learning curve required to set up blog pages and administer posts. I want to blog, but when I say that I mean I want to write, not absorb someone's 'how to' guides. I looked at Wordpress recently and there's a full web page of recommended reading links before you start. I dare say there's a good chance of working it out as I roll, but RTFM is sometimes a good principle.

If there's a way I can write a piece, drop it into an Evernote and have it published to the world, I am definitely interested...

• Level 5*

It's great to see that so many other people use Evernote as a blogging tool. I've been doing this for just over a year with my iPod Touch, and it's completely changed the way that I go about writing. It's changed the way I write to such an extent that WordPress and Tumblr no longer seemed like effective platforms for blogging ... so I created my own.

I've been working on this project off and on for the better part of six months where I write articles on my iPod Touch or through one of the desktop clients. When I'm happy with the result, I drop it into the "Published" notebook. From there, Noteworthy (my blogging software) uses the Evernote API to read the new notes in that notebook and publishes them to the web.

You can read more about the project here.

There is no (real) administration panel. There are no difficult settings to configure and understand. This is just a simple tool that takes what is posted in Evernote and pushes it out to the web (after cleaning it up a little bit).

Is this something that you would be interested in using? In the next few months I hope to have a bit more polish on the application so that it can be rolled out for anyone to use. I'd love to hear your opinion.

A couple of months ago I had the brilliant (?) idea of moving my website into a shared notebook (see my signature) and essentially replacing my site with that so I could easily post and edit everything I had on the web. There were a couple of issues with this, but one of the most glaring ones was that Google does not index the content of Evernote's shared notebooks. I kept the shared notebook, and my website, so the result of my experiment was simply the creation of more work for me!

Your idea would enable me to use Evernote for my website just as I was trying to accomplish with the shared notebooks. I'd certainly be interested!

• Level 5*

Have you entered this into our DevCup? I think people might be quite interested...

Good idea! Going to be busy over the next few days if you do :)

"To participate in the Devcup, you must submit your entry on our official submission page by 11:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on July 2, 2012."

Have you entered this into our DevCup? I think people might be quite interested...

When I first heard about the Dev Cup I seriously considered putting more time and effort into getting it ready for people to use. That said, there is no way I can get this in a usable fashion for other people before the deadline. It doesn't take much to set up at all, but it's still a bit of a hassle for people who don't care to play with settings (only at the very beginning, of course).

The goal is to have a basic version people can install on their own web servers this summer, so this may have to wait until the next competition ...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there,

This sounds amazing, exactly what I was looking for... well, and a bit more :)

I've been testing evernote for a while for my personal notes, but I started a few projects recently where I'm gonna have to share information with other people involved, even if only in read mode.

I thought evernote's shared notebook would be great for it, but after seeing the output implementation, maaaaan, what the hell are they thinking about?

It would be so easy to create a very simple blog kind of view of the notes!

That evernote kind of output is useless to send to people!

Anyway, to the point, I would love to use your app and even to pay for it! hahahah

Only thing I don't have a host or plans to get one, at the beginning I thought you could use your app with wordpress or similar, but after seeing the github, if I understood correctly, you actually create the webpages from scratch using php, right?

I favorited and watched your project in github, but I was wondering if you had a mail list to get the updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this sounds almost too good to be true ; this is precisely what I was looking for :) 

That is, if only I got it to work...I get those pesky errors 500 each time I try to install. Tried it in a subdirectory, a subdomain, checked PHP versions, file permissions...can't get it to install.

It's a real shame, as this looks so good.

Well, if you see this message and have a bit of pity for a fellow EN user, I'd be glad if you pinged me.

Cheers,

Alex

Wow, this sounds almost too good to be true ; this is precisely what I was looking for :)

That is, if only I got it to work...I get those pesky errors 500 each time I try to install. Tried it in a subdirectory, a subdomain, checked PHP versions, file permissions...can't get it to install.

Good Evening Alex,

Thanks for giving Noteworthy a try. I'd be happy to help you solve some of the issues you're having. Which web host are you running it on? I've seen some issues with DreamHost and GoDaddy, and have a few fixes written that haven't been released yet (testing, testing).

Hello Jason !

First, if that's not express support, then I don't know what express support is...thanks a lot for helping out :)

I'm using 1and1 (Europe) as a hosting provider. I made sure to use Php 5.4, and explicitely declared it in the .htaccess file as well.

Let me quickly recap what I did :

1. Created a 'noteworthy' folder on my ftp (directly inside the root folder)

2. Copied all the files in 'noteworthy-master' inside this folder

3. Applied 755 permissions to all folders

4. Opened website.com/noteworthy/ -> At this point I get the page I'm supposed to. Also, some folders, like 'content', are created inside the noteworthy folder

5. Opened website.com/noteworthy/install/ -> Error 500

If I try to open any URL starting with website/noteworthy/ (like archives for example) I get an error 500

I tried reinstalling on a subdomain, and I get the exact same result.

Any idea what the cause of the errors 500 could be ? I'd be glad to help testing your fixes :) 

Also, thank you again for the prompt reply !

Alex

Hello Jason !

First, if that's not express support, then I don't know what express support is...thanks a lot for helping out :)

I'm using 1and1 (Europe) as a hosting provider. I made sure to use Php 5.4, and explicitely declared it in the .htaccess file as well.

Let me quickly recap what I did :

1. Created a 'noteworthy' folder on my ftp (directly inside the root folder)

2. Copied all the files in 'noteworthy-master' inside this folder

3. Applied 755 permissions to all folders

4. Opened website.com/noteworthy/ -> At this point I get the page I'm supposed to. Also, some folders, like 'content', are created inside the noteworthy folder

5. Opened website.com/noteworthy/install/ -> Error 500

If I try to open any URL starting with website/noteworthy/ (like archives for example) I get an error 500

I tried reinstalling on a subdomain, and I get the exact same result.

Any idea what the cause of the errors 500 could be ? I'd be glad to help testing your fixes :)

Also, thank you again for the prompt reply !

Alex

Hmm ... I wonder what the logs are reporting.

I'll send you a private message with my contact information. We can work it out through there.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I can't believe Evernote makes it so hard to post to Wordpress.  This is insanity.  It either comes in from email looking like a giant AD for Evernote--or it won't work at all.  Grrr.  I tried Noteworthy too.  Kept giving me error 404 pages. It should be easier. Evernote is a paid service...these are not unreasonable expectations!

• Level 5*

? Unless I missed it Evernote makes no attempt to promote itself as a blog manager - storing and retrieving all kinds of information are its strong points;  there are no promises about facilitating your distribution of the info unless its by sharing,  email or facebook...

... I tried Noteworthy too.  Kept giving me error 404 pages. It should be easier ...

I agree that we should have more options for data portability but, like gazumped mentioned above, Evernote is not a blogging tool.

I'd like to help you solve your Noteworthy 404s, though. Could you contact me directly on here with some details?

Cheers,

? Unless I missed it Evernote makes no attempt to promote itself as a blog manager - storing and retrieving all kinds of information are its strong points;  there are no promises about facilitating your distribution of the info unless its by sharing,  email or facebook...

Yes I get that it's not Evernotes purpose, but it's also just a simple email branding issue for posting to Wordpress--or to anyone for that matter. I pay for premium, therefore I should not have to advertise what I am using to send that email with. It's like cable television having commercials. I just feel enough is enough with all the ads.

Matigo, I will be in touch after trying another fresh install of Noteworthy. Thanks much for the offer and crafty workaround invention.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived