(Archived) QUESTION: Is there a way to tag a notebook or stack? [NO]

David33409

Idea

Is there a way to tag a notebook or stack so every not within also has the same tags as the parent container? I'd like to create a notebook and place tags on it so that every note I add to it will have those tags along with any note-specific tags. It would be nice if this worked on stacks as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

There is no way there's no way in the current crop of Evernote clients to automatically apply a set of tags to every note in a notebook. BTW, the parent container for a note is always a notebook, and possibly, but only indirectly, a stack (stacks only contain notebooks). There may be a third-party tool to accomplish this, or maybe in your case, AppleScript scripts could do it.

There's not a direct way to do this, but if you go into a notebook, then select all (command+a, ctrl+a), a prompt to create mass tags will be offered. This could help you until a more convenient function is implemented. ^_^

There is no way there's no way in the current crop of Evernote clients to automatically apply a set of tags to every note in a notebook. BTW, the parent container for a note is always a notebook, and possibly, but only indirectly, a stack (stacks only contain notebooks). There may be a third-party tool to accomplish this, or maybe in your case, AppleScript scripts could do it.

Thank you jefito. Before I spent a lot of time on this I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing it somewhere. I am planning on creating a tool to do this for me. I've developed a few document management apps over the years and the ability to setup "default" tags when a note is created is a must for me. I will have a solution to this shortly if anyone is interested.

There's not a direct way to do this, but if you go into a notebook, then select all (command+a, ctrl+a), a prompt to create mass tags will be offered. This could help you until a more convenient function is implemented. ^_^

Thank you JCM. I've used that approach a few times but find it inefficient and a waste of time. Every time I add a note I'd have to repeat that process. What I need is a way to do this for me automatically. When I add a note it picks up the tags of the notebook AND the stack. I need to be able to setup the tags within a notebook in advance and do the same thing for a stack. I have some ideas on how to do this.

Thank you JCM. I've used that approach a few times but find it inefficient and a waste of time. Every time I add a note I'd have to repeat that process. What I need is a way to do this for me automatically. When I add a note it picks up the tags of the notebook AND the stack. I need to be able to setup the tags within a notebook in advance and do the same thing for a stack. I have some ideas on how to do this.

Certainly! I'll do my best to see if there is any work being done concerning this feature. Otherwise, thank you for being such a vigilant user of Evernote. : )

If anyone is interested I should have a solution to "default tags" based on the notebook/stack they are being added to.

I know this is an old post - but yes, I'm interested.

I've decided that in one of my workbooks I want all notes by default to have an "in progress" tag, which I will get rid of when the associated task is complete, thus allowing me to keep track of tasks that I haven't finished.

If anyone has an alternative way of doing this I would be interested in that too.

If anyone is interested I should have a solution to "default tags" based on the notebook/stack they are being added to.

I know this is an old post - but yes, I'm interested.

I've decided that in one of my workbooks I want all notes by default to have an "in progress" tag, which I will get rid of when the associated task is complete, thus allowing me to keep track of tasks that I haven't finished.

If anyone has an alternative way of doing this I would be interested in that too.

Hi Scatterpod, I've got a solution that uses AppleScript if you are interested. Basically I add a note with a specific title to each notebook that I want to control. This note is tagged accordingly. When I run my applescript, every other note that is also in that notebook will get the same tags as the one with the "specific title". Let me know if this interests anyone.

I've decided that in one of my workbooks I want all notes by default to have an "in progress" tag,.

I would just name the notebook "in progress".

This is the sort of answer that I was looking for, but this won't work for me.

I have several notebooks some organised by month, some by type of job, and what I want is to be able to use tags to let me see which notes haven't been "closed off".

I want each new note I create to be tagged as "open" or "active", and all I'm trying to do is save that 1 click and drag each time (actually three clicks on my phone !).

The thing I like about Evernote is that I can quickly and easily create notes from my Windows laptop, my Android phone and my ipad - it just seemed that if notes can have a default notebook it would be neat if they could also have a default tag.

@Scatterpod, do you have a Mac? As I mentioned previously, this can be done with AppleScript. Create a note in the default notebook with the title "_config" and tag it as needed (e.g., 'in_progress' and/or "open"). When new notes are added to that notebook, the AppleScript will tag them with the same tags that are applied to the _config note in that same notebook. That's how I do it anyway.

I've decided that in one of my workbooks I want all notes by default to have an "in progress" tag,.

I have several notebooks some organised by month, some by type of job, and what I want is to be able to use tags to let me see which notes haven't been "closed off".

I want each new note I create to be tagged as "open" or "active", and all I'm trying to do is save that 1 click and drag each time (actually three clicks on my phone !).

The thing I like about Evernote is that I can quickly and easily create notes from my Windows laptop, my Android phone and my ipad - it just seemed that if notes can have a default notebook it would be neat if they could also have a default tag.

Why do you need "open" & "active"? Why not just have a "closed" tag? If you want all notes in a particular notebook to be "open", assume they are open unless they've been tagged "closed.". I do a similar thing wtih music. I get ideas for music I want to buy from a variety of sources including screen caps from my Windows computer & Soundhound from my iPhone. When I get the song/album, I apply my "got it" tag. When I want to find songs I want to get, I search on the particular notebook & add -tag:"got it" Sometimes the lack of a tag acts as a tag.

Why do you need "open" & "active"? Why not just have a "closed" tag? If you want all notes in a particular notebook to be "open", assume they are open unless they've been tagged "closed.". I do a similar thing wtih music. I get ideas for music I want to buy from a variety of sources including screen caps from my Windows computer & Soundhound from my iPhone. When I get the song/album, I apply my "got it" tag. When I want to find songs I want to get, I search on the particular notebook & add -tag:"got it" Sometimes the lack of a tag acts as a tag.

Thanks BurgersNFries. This makes sense. I hadn't seen the -tag:"xxxx" thing.

However, what I would really like to do now is create a Saved Search using -tag:"xxxx" that gave me all the open notes in a some of my notebooks. It looks like a search can only be for "all notebooks" or for "one notebook". I can probably live with that though.

@Scatterpod, do you have a Mac? As I mentioned previously, this can be done with AppleScript. Create a note in the default notebook with the title "_config" and tag it as needed (e.g., 'in_progress' and/or "open"). When new notes are added to that notebook, the AppleScript will tag them with the same tags that are applied to the _config note in that same notebook. That's how I do it anyway.

I'm adding notes mostly using my Android phone and a Windows desktop PC. I assume that the AppleScript has to reside on the device creating the note, so it's probably not going to work for me. Thanks anyway.

• Level 5*
However, what I would really like to do now is create a Saved Search using -tag:"xxxx" that gave me all the open notes in a some of my notebooks. It looks like a search can only be for "all notebooks" or for "one notebook".

That is correct (you also cannot do -notebook:xxx -- i.e., "all notebooks except this xxx").

Archived