(Archived) Search BUG: Unable to find note if add "of" at end

gavinch

Highly annoyed with this.

Think most of you will be able to replicate this on Android.

Create a note with a title of any word. Then add an "of" to it.

Try to search for it with the "of" at the end without quotes

To illustrate:

I created a note titled:

Class of evernote

Searched:

1.class

Note found

2.class of evernote

Note missing

3.class of

Note missing

4."class of"

Note found

Not sure if this is in anyway related to android client appending an asterix after every search term

Class%20Screenshot_2012-06-26-00-11-28.pngClass%20of%20evernote%20Screenshot_2012-06-26-00-11-35.pngClass%20of%20Screenshot_2012-06-26-00-11-46.pngClass%20of%20quote%20Screenshot_2012-06-26-00-15-09.png

• Level 5*

Hello. I believe this behavior is expected. Evernote searches for individual words, and it begins these searches from the beginning of a word, so a search for "fan" will return "fanboy", but a search for "boy" will not find it. Technically speaking, neither search should return any results, but as you correctly surmised, there is a wildcard asterisk automatically inserted at the end of words. This tells the Android client to search for any word beginning with "fan". It happens in other clients as well, but I think only Android actually displays this (a good design decision, in my opinion). I think this automatic insertion of a wildcard asterisk is done as an aid to users.

The solution to your annoyance is easy: use quotation marks if you want to search for phrases. The problem is not the preposition "of" but the fact that they are two words.

2.class of evernote

This is actually a search of three words.

3.class of

This is actually a search of two words.

4."class of"

This is actually a search of a phrase, because you used the quotation marks to tell Evernote that you wanted everything inside treated as a single search item.

You can find out more about searches here

https://support.ever...earch-operators

And, if you are really interested in learning more, see the link at the bottom to the API specifications.

Hope this helps!

[EDIT:] This doesn't help. I misunderstood the problem. See posts below.

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am aware of the advanced search operators including asterix and your explanation about fanboy and searching boy wouldn't yield results. In my case I didn't search for of when my note contained Classof without the space in between.

My question is when my note has 3 terms and I search for those 3 terms why doesn't it appear in my search results.

I think the operator used here would be AND

Class AND of AND Evernote

Which if I'm not mistaken should yield results when all three search terms are present in the note. And my note does contain all 3.

I'm not searching for that particular phrase but I'm searching for a note which contains all the three terms.

Had it been if my note didn't contain any one of the terms and I searched for all the three terms without quotes, no results yielded would have been perfectly acceptable.

I hope you get what I mean.

And moreover Web client and Desktop client are able to search for the note if search for the same (all the 4 mentioned above). Then why this inconsistency in Android?

My question is when my note has 3 terms and I search for those 3 terms why doesn't it appear in my search results.

Which if I'm not mistaken should yield results when all three search terms are present in the note. And my note does contain all 3.

Yes, the note should show up, if it contains all three (regardless of the order of appearance in the note).

• Level 5*

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am aware of the advanced search operators including asterix and your explanation about fanboy and searching boy wouldn't yield results. In my case I didn't search for of when my note contained Classof without the space in between.

I'm not searching for that particular phrase but I'm searching for a note which contains all the three terms.

Had it been if my note didn't contain any one of the terms and I searched for all the three terms without quotes, no results yielded would have been perfectly acceptable.

I hope you get what I mean.

And moreover Web client and Desktop client are able to search for the note if search for the same (all the 4 mentioned above). Then why this inconsistency in Android?

I think I will yield the floor to some of our more experienced searchers. I do not have my Android device with me today to check what you have found. The search defaults to "all" terms in a search, and it should have returned results. Please disregard my earlier post.

To parrot a great orator: there are known knowns about inconsistencies in searches on each client. There are known unknowns. And, there are unknown unknowns. You might have found one of those known unknowns, until someone here comes up with an explanation, at which point, it will become a known known :)

See my thread on search issues. Some of the posts there might give you some ideas about what is happening, and hopefully, we can figure out a solution.

FWIW, I just tried a similar search (three words) on my Kindle Fire & it worked fine. I'm using build 252995, 4.0.2 public.

What three words did you use? Did you use "of" as I did?

Not sure if this is a glitch unique for my device..

Yesterday for a while I was just toying around with the same thing and I searched "class of evernote" without the quotes and it popped up on my search results. But strangely only for a few seconds where before my eyes it disappeared.

Really puzzling :wacko:

Not sure if this is a glitch unique for my device..

Yesterday for a while I was just toying around with the same thing and I searched "class of evernote" without the quotes and it popped up on my search results. But strangely only for a few seconds where before my eyes it disappeared.

Really puzzling :wacko:

Same thing happened for me. I replicated your issue on all accounts and every single time it "didn't display" any results, the correct result was shown for a split second then disappeared. Thanks for bringing this issue up! Hopefully it'll get fixed.
  • 4 months later...

Related to this topic: I have a note with the words "encrypt" and "decrypt" in it. However, if I search for the search string "crypt", this note is not displayed, whereas the note containing the word "cryptonite" is displayed. Why does the search engine only search for strings at the beginning of a word? I had hoped the v5 for Mac would have solved this problem, unfortunately it has not (same goes for my Android device).

Related to this topic: I have a note with the words "encrypt" and "decrypt" in it. However, if I search for the search string "crypt", this note is not displayed, whereas the note containing the word "cryptonite" is displayed. Why does the search engine only search for strings at the beginning of a word? I had hoped the v5 for Mac would have solved this problem, unfortunately it has not (same goes for my Android device).

This is not a bug. It's by design.

Archived