(Archived) HELP: Why inconsistent pricing between web and premium upgrade in Mac app?

When I select the Upgrade To Premium option from the Mac app, the price is £31.99/year. When I try the same upgrade from the web interface, the price is £35/year. Why the difference?

I will also note that the US dollar price, $45, is currently equivalent to £28.83.

I will also note that the US dollar price, $45, is currently equivalent to £28.83.

Being in the UK (like me), I guess you're used to getting screwed over US/UK price differences... One of the joys of living here :(

• Level 5*

When I select the Upgrade To Premium option from the Mac app, the price is £31.99/year. When I try the same upgrade from the web interface, the price is £35/year. Why the difference?

I cannot explain the discrepancy between the web and Mac prices. Hopefully, someone from Evernote can comment on this. However, for the exchange rate, I think it is pretty rare for companies to adjust their pricing on a daily basis for exchange rate fluctuations. Sometimes this works in your favor. Sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes this works in your favor. Sometimes it doesn't.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen it work in the favour of those in the UK. I can understand not updating exchange rates daily (although it could be automated) but very often it's a straight 1:1, e.g. $500 = £500. Someone's making a lot of profit from something like that!

Even more sadly, we're so used to it, we'll often just cough up and move on.

I'm certainly not having a go at EN specifically. Everyone seems to do it. At the least the UK amount for EN is significantly lower than the US amount.

Not really looking to get into a discussion about the complicated machinations we have to run through on a country-by-country, state-by-state and currency-by-currency basis (short answer - business is different in different countries), but here's what's happening with the Mac/Web discrepancy, which at present is a Mac/Everything Else discrepancy. We are trying to charge a consistent price across all platforms, but there's an issue with our current Mac pricing which will hopefully be fixed soon.

• 2 months later...

Similar query here as well, except that my home country currency, HKD, is pegging with USD at a fixed rate. But my next concern is, in what currency will Evernote charge for the the next recurring subscription period? Will it be the same currency I paid when upgraded to premium, or will it be revert back to USD? Is there anyway to check it or modify such currency option? By the way, I do believe that apple is taking a lion share of the money paid via itunes, so wouldn't it be economical beneficial to both the Company and the users if a better web payment platform is available for Evernote's international users???

• 1 year later...

I just paid in USD with by UK address. Just type in your address, choose a state which doesn't have sales tax (like CA) and used the ZIP code 12345.

They still add some purchase tax, so it comes out as USD 48.60, which is still only GBP 29.81 on my credit card. That's five quid saved.

Archived