(Archived) HELP: Fujitsu Scansnap S300 vs S1300

I am looking for a sheet-fed document scanner to use with Evernote and it looks like the S1300 would be perfect for me. However, for the amount of scanning I do it's just too expensive.

I have found several offers for the older and much more affordable S300 model but I can't seem to find any significant differences between the two:

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/s300.html

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/s1300.html

Has anyone got any experience of both of these? If so, is there much of a difference between them? I assume any difference may be in real-world use rather than in technical specs.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I don't use either of these - got the S1500 instead; but some points and questions you need to be aware of with the 300 (from the link you provided) are:

• The sheet feeder is 10 sheets capacity - it is possible (with mine) to load extra sheets on the fly, but if you're copying a lot of pages in one go, this will be tedious.
  • The output will be a 'searchable PDF' so OCR is involved, but there's no sign whether you can switch that off for a lengthy scanning session. If you can't each scan will take longer, because you scan, then wait for OCR, then scan again; and whatever the actual scan time, OCR means a minute or so per document so page by page this will be s..l..o..w. Adobe is bundled with the more expensive models and you need this (or a compatible PDF editor) to OCR PDF files in batch.
  • You may need - if OCR-ing separately - to save scans to a folder so they can be processed. Doesn't say anything about that I could see, but it should be possible...
  • S1300's (I believe) and S1500's (definitely) can scan A3 pages using a supplied plastic carrier the S300 is A4 max

In general I'd say: your experience of Evernote will substantially depend on how effectively and easily you can add pages to your database. It's worth spending as much as you can afford on the means to do so...

Good luck!

I own both the S300 and the S1300. The S1300 is a direct replacement for the S300, so I would not recommend buying the S300. It comes with older software and will not receive the software updates that the S1300 does.

I don't use either of these - got the S1500 instead; but some points and questions you need to be aware of with the 300 (from the link you provided) are:

• The sheet feeder is 10 sheets capacity - it is possible (with mine) to load extra sheets on the fly, but if you're copying a lot of pages in one go, this will be tedious.
  • The output will be a 'searchable PDF' so OCR is involved, but there's no sign whether you can switch that off for a lengthy scanning session. If you can't each scan will take longer, because you scan, then wait for OCR, then scan again; and whatever the actual scan time, OCR means a minute or so per document so page by page this will be s..l..o..w. Adobe is bundled with the more expensive models and you need this (or a compatible PDF editor) to OCR PDF files in batch.
  • You may need - if OCR-ing separately - to save scans to a folder so they can be processed. Doesn't say anything about that I could see, but it should be possible...
  • S1300's (I believe) and S1500's (definitely) can scan A3 pages using a supplied plastic carrier the S300 is A4 max

In general I'd say: your experience of Evernote will substantially depend on how effectively and easily you can add pages to your database. It's worth spending as much as you can afford on the means to do so...

Good luck!

Thanks. All of these seem to be benefits of getting the S1500 over the S300 or S1300, I'll keep my eye out for a cheap S1500 but generally they are out of my budget.

I own both the S300 and the S1300. The S1300 is a direct replacement for the S300, so I would not recommend buying the S300. It comes with older software and will not receive the software updates that the S1300 does.

Yup, this seems to be the only difference between the two models. ScanSnap Manager seems to stop at v

4.2L14 for the S300 whereas the current version for the S1500 seems to be v

5.1L30.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have an S300 and can't get it to scan to Evernote. As best as I can tell I've downloaded the latest updates for the ScanSnap Organizer and Manager for the S300.

My question is simple: does the existing software allow me to directly scan to Evernote with my S300 or not?

thanks

chris

I have an S300 and can't get it to scan to Evernote. As best as I can tell I've downloaded the latest updates for the ScanSnap Organizer and Manager for the S300.

My question is simple: does the existing software allow me to directly scan to Evernote with my S300 or not?

As far as I know, Fujitsu did not include the S300 when they updated the software to support Evernote integration. However, I assume you are on Windows, it shouldn't be a problem for you. You can scan to a folder and then set up Evernote to watch that folder and import anything that gets scanned there. Basically the same thing.

Archived