Printing page range selection

Norky

Idea

I am using Evernote for Windows v4.5.7.7146 (258477) Public with Win 7, my printer is an HP PSC 1500.

When I try to print a Evernote note that is multiple pages I find that I can only print all pages instead of selecting which page I want printed. The Page Range is set only to All with Selection, Current Page and Pages grayed out. Evernote is the only program I have this problem with so I don't think it is the printer.

I have gone through my settings in Tools|Options and cannot see anything there to change this. Am I missing something?

33 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, mrchris10804 said:

Evernote is way more than a "note" taking app.  It may have started that way but it's far more robust than just notes.  If we're going to be fair we should acknowledge that Evernote has gone well beyond notes.

Rather than quibbling over whether Evernote is more than just a note-taking app, I'd suggest adding your votes to the feature request.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, mrchris10804 said:

You have good points.  I'm just surprised to see the functionality lacking.  I didn't even know it was possible to restrict the ability to change the options in the print dialog.  This is the only program I think I've ever seen force you to print everything.

I've seen it elsewhere, but I have to admit that it is unusual--can't quickly lay my hands on other examples.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

A couple of thoughts on this. For one thing, it may simply be that, while this is a serious problem for some people, it is not very serious for a very large number of users. Evernote, like everyone else, has to target their resources carefully.

Another thought is that very long Evernote notes are sometimes deprecated (by some experienced users, not by Evernote itself, AFAIK), for the sake of good organization and easy searching if for no other reason. The software really is not set up for that, from a number of perspectives, including pagination. A 20-page note is (IMHO) no longer a note but an essay. Chopping it up into smaller pieces makes it easier to find, use, and rearrange material in Evernote (not to mention that linking only works with notes, not sections of notes). Or better yet, one could create a series of smaller notes, and when they're ready to become an essay, white paper, diary, or whatever, copy them over into a program that is better suited to the task.

All of which is not to say that there aren't good use cases to be made for long notes, and for printing long notes, and for printing selected pages from long notes. But I suspect (as a guess only) that this is not a kind of use that the Evernote developers see as central to the software's purpose.

That's a lot of talk making excuses for Evernote lacking really basic functionality that is available pretty much universally everywhere else!  The silly thing is, they shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel if they simply call Windows' built in print functionality without disabling the page range selection.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, BlueOak said:

That's a lot of talk making excuses for Evernote lacking really basic functionality that is available pretty much universally everywhere else!  The silly thing is, they shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel if they simply call Windows' built in print functionality without disabling the page range selection.

Well, from my perspective it seems that what sounds like "excuses" to you is simply logic based on experiences other than your own. It's called Evernote for a reason, IMO, and the lack of paginated printing is only one example of a number of features that people find lacking when they try to use it for something that is well beyond what could reasonably be called notes.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, from my perspective it seems that what sounds like "excuses" to you is simply logic based on experiences other than your own. It's called Evernote for a reason, IMO, and the lack of paginated printing is only one example of a number of features that people find lacking when they try to use it for something that is well beyond what could reasonably be called notes.

Evernote is way more than a "note" taking app.  It may have started that way but it's far more robust than just notes.  If we're going to be fair we should acknowledge that Evernote has gone well beyond notes.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, mrchris10804 said:

I've always considered it a filing app; perhaps because my background is with word processing and spreadsheet apps.

My note content has always been short records 

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Rather than quibbling over whether Evernote is more than just a note-taking app, I'd suggest adding your votes to the feature request.

I tried briefly to find it but couldn't.  Might you be willing to post a link for anyone who'd like to vote?  =D

• Level 5*
Just now, mrchris10804 said:

I tried briefly to find it but couldn't.  Might you be willing to post a link for anyone who'd like to vote?  =D

For any voting page, go to the top-left of the title, and look for something like this (it may have a downward point triangle as well):

image.png.9bcb039a4e925ed07e1a5fae624d33c4.png

Click on the upward point triangle to add your vote.

21 hours ago, jefito said:

For any voting page, go to the top-left of the title, and look for something like this (it may have a downward point triangle as well):

image.png.9bcb039a4e925ed07e1a5fae624d33c4.png

Click on the upward point triangle to add your vote.

Please forgive my ignorance but I don't know where to find the right thread.  I tried searching for "Windows Product Feedback" and this is all it showed: 

Untitled.png

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, mrchris10804 said:

I don't know where to find the right thread.  I tried searching for "Windows Product Feedback" and this is all it showed: 

You're in the right discussion for a feature request.  The voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

19 hours ago, Austin G said:

Selecting a page range to print is scheduled to be included in the 6.8 GA. It's currently available in Evernote for Windows Desktop 6.8 beta 3. 

Excellent! Thank you for responding.

During testing, you might verify that "Checkboxes" properly align with their corresponding text.  This has been a problem in the past. The Checkboxes are aligned above their corresponding text.

FYI, printing out Checkbox lists is very handy in situations where having a mobile device is cumbersome or dangerous to that device's safety.  For example we build supply lists for camping trips - having them on paper makes them more useful, whilst maintaining them in EN allows us to constantly improve the quality and completeness of the lists.

• Level 5

A couple of thoughts on this. For one thing, it may simply be that, while this is a serious problem for some people, it is not very serious for a very large number of users. Evernote, like everyone else, has to target their resources carefully.

Another thought is that very long Evernote notes are sometimes deprecated (by some experienced users, not by Evernote itself, AFAIK), for the sake of good organization and easy searching if for no other reason. The software really is not set up for that, from a number of perspectives, including pagination. A 20-page note is (IMHO) no longer a note but an essay. Chopping it up into smaller pieces makes it easier to find, use, and rearrange material in Evernote (not to mention that linking only works with notes, not sections of notes). Or better yet, one could create a series of smaller notes, and when they're ready to become an essay, white paper, diary, or whatever, copy them over into a program that is better suited to the task.

All of which is not to say that there aren't good use cases to be made for long notes, and for printing long notes, and for printing selected pages from long notes. But I suspect (as a guess only) that this is not a kind of use that the Evernote developers see as central to the software's purpose.

So it is now 4-1/2 years later... and the very basic Windows functionality of printing a specific page or range of pages still has not been fixed?

I get the principle of using Evernote is to go all digital, but sometimes there are solid reasons to print.  So Evernote requires its user community to print 20 pages even if they only need one of those pages?

Does this same product defect exist in the OSX version?

(Sloppy workarounds like logging into the web version are just that - sloppy.)

I agree.  This is very frustrating.  I have long notes that I frequently update.  Not being able to print out specific pages or page ranges is a serious hindrance to me.  Honestly, it discourages me from using EN even though I've come to love it and have started recently to use it more and more.  This is a significant negative for me.  Not sure I will continue to use EN because of this.  

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Does anyone from Evernote support follow this forum and pay any attention??

I've been using Evernote on-and-off for a couple of years, but recently decided to use it for all of my academic note-taking and hit this problem when I tried to print out only a portion of a lengthy note. Appreciate it may not be a quick fix but is there any plan to implement it anytime soon? Copying and pasting to another application, just to print, half-defeats the object of me using Evernote!

• Level 5*

Yep - even 2 or 3 years after EN users complaining about it, this is one of those strange bugs where Evernote can't do the most basic of functions you'd expect, whilst development budget and staff time goes into new shiny stuff that looks good in the funding portfolio. Shame, could probably be fixed in 5 minutes by a developer...

While it would be useful to have this feature (I know I'd use it), the claim that it could probably be fixed in 5 minutes is, well, just plain laughable. As it is, the Windows client, at least, has a lot of nice usability features that are not just glossy eye-candy; unfortunately there are some odd holes, like this one.

Yep - even 2 or 3 years after EN users complaining about it, this is one of those strange bugs where Evernote can't do the most basic of functions you'd expect, whilst development budget and staff time goes into new shiny stuff that looks good in the funding portfolio. Shame, could probably be fixed in 5 minutes by a developer...

This lack of basic functionality makes me dismiss some other possibilities of EN which I would use otherwise - this is the main reason I don't use "merge" notes and find PDF feature not so useful. For a product like Evernote, the possibility to print a note the way you want is essential.

Yes, this lack of functionality is long standing. And, I don't know of a convenient workaround when an EN note includes a PDF attachment for which the user wants to print only selected pages. I typically spend several minutes fussing over a single note when I run into this situation. I can't understand why it would be all that difficult to implement the functionality necessary to render only selected pages. I suspect the issue has simply been overlooked in the context of other, apparently more useful or important improvements. I wish the EN team would take a second look at this and bump the priority of addressing this missing feature.

Thank you for the response, I will continue with my work around hoping that Evernote will find a way for the program to support printing single pages instead of forcing the user to print all.

• Level 5

Your only chance is setting your preferences for printing single pages in your printer menu.

EN does not support printing single pages at the moment.

You can (usually) copy your note to other software (Word) which will probably support single page printing for your printer because of different interfacing.

Wern

Archived