(Archived) HELP: Best way to promote a public folder?

I've started an experiment with a public folder, shared with the world, at

I intend to post chapters of a novel that I am working on (The Apocalypse of Hephaestus), so it is essentially serialized on Evernote.

So my questions are:

Has anyone tried anything similar, and with what results, feedback, readership, etc?

And also, what would be some good ways to promote the project, and to get the word out? Does anyone have any advice re using Evernote as a platform for writing / fiction?

Thanks,

David

philobiblion.com.au

• Level 5*

I've started an experiment with a public folder, shared with the world, at

I intend to post chapters of a novel that I am working on (The Apocalypse of Hephaestus), so it is essentially serialized on Evernote.

So my questions are:

Has anyone tried anything similar, and with what results, feedback, readership, etc?

And also, what would be some good ways to promote the project, and to get the word out? Does anyone have any advice re using Evernote as a platform for writing / fiction?

Thanks,

David

philobiblion.com.au

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

What a cool idea. Good luck with it! I have not done anything like this, and I haven't seen anything like it before, but I like it :)

I'll be sure to put a link from my list of shared notebooks:

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/sharednotebooks.html

• Level 5*

Hi David

Shared Evernote notebooks are stored on a server which (presumably for security reasons) is totally dark to search engines; so your book is going to remain stealthed unless you actively promote it. Your post here is a good start, but to get a wider readership you need to consider all the usual marketing suspects - blogging, social media, banners etc. Even if they have no other effect, this sort of activity will get you onto the search engine radar. I'd suggest you google search for 'how do I promote my web page' for a few million suggestions...

Liberal sharing of the link over Facebook and Twitter, IMO. Depending on the style/substance, some fiction boards would probably be a good place to find readers interested in the subject.

Really, we need a space for shared notebooks somewhere on the board, kind of like GM's page.

EDIT: Course, we need lots of things. Maybe that'll be a good page for the wiki :)

Liberal sharing of the link over Facebook and Twitter, IMO. Depending on the style/substance, some fiction boards would probably be a good place to find readers interested in the subject.

Really, we need a space for shared notebooks somewhere on the board, kind of like GM's page.

EDIT: Course, we need lots of things. Maybe that'll be a good page for the wiki :)

I agree. It seems obvious that if people can make Evernote folders public, then there should be some way to search through the world's public Evernote offerings. Sort of like a Wattpad of Evernote. It would be excellent, because the difference between writing and publishing to the world would then be one click.

Regarding Evernote's public files being non-discoverable by Google, for privacy reasons - that doesn't make sense, if the user has made the folders public. Perhaps there could be an option, where people can choose whether their public folders are visible to search engines.

• Level 5*

Doesn't seem like part of Evernote's primary function to promote a web page if an owner decides to make it public. That's the owner's decision, and I certainly don't want his prospective visitors having even limited access to the same servers that store all my private information. Publicizing that page is the same basic marketing problem as getting traffic to any new web page. Where do you promote it? Everywhere and anywhere you can think of. How? Any legal means. There are no limits (apart from the previously-mentioned legal ones) on promotions, so your imagination - and as many marketing sites as you can scan - is the limit.

• 8 months later...

I've been toying with the idea of creating a public notebook for a few weeks. I'm almost ready, but I have one question.

How does the storage quota work? 

If I create a public notebook and gazumped (not that he'd do such a thing!) drops 600MB worth of MP3 files in it, does that "knacker" my monthly limit? Are there protections against this kind of thing?

• Level 5*

I've been toying with the idea of creating a public notebook for a few weeks. I'm almost ready, but I have one question.

How does the storage quota work? 

If I create a public notebook and gazumped (not that he'd do such a thing!) drops 600MB worth of MP3 files in it, does that "knacker" my monthly limit? Are there protections against this kind of thing?

A public notebook cannot be modified. I have one in my signature. There is no danger that anyone could add anything to the notebook. 

If you share a notebook and invite people, though, then you can give them the ability to modify the content. If you do that, then Gazumped could wipe out your monthly upload allowance with a few hundred megabytes of data. There is no way that I know of to protect against him in this case!

A public notebook is more like a website, i.e. people can view it, but not edit.

At the same time, you can add specific people to the notebook should you wish.

For instance, everyone can see my notebook, but I can add invite specific people to edit it if I wanted.

When it comes to usage, you own the notebook, so additions to it go to your account. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Gaz from maxing out your usage, so you gotta watch him :P

EDIT: ahh...GM is on the ball today :P

• Level 5*

A public notebook is more like a website, i.e. people can view it, but not edit.

At the same time, you can add specific people to the notebook should you wish.

For instance, everyone can see my notebook, but I can add invite specific people to edit it if I wanted.

When it comes to usage, you own the notebook, so additions to it go to your account. Not sure if there is any way to prevent Gaz from maxing out your usage, so you gotta watch him :P

EDIT: ahh...GM is on the ball today :P

LOL. Not so on the ball. You are correct that you can invite people to edit a public notebook. I should have made that clear. Of course, if one of those people is Gazumped, then you might end up in trouble :)

I confess to not thinking about making a Notebook 'public'.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a 'shared' Notebook on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera which has been going well with lots of members now. Each of them has the ability to add and modify Notes. This means we can end up with a larger information database. The danger, is of course, as mentioned above, that they can cause me problems with my upload limit. But as this is currently at 6GB I somehow doubt it!

But I like the idea of getting more people involved by sharing it as a public link. They can then decide if they want to join as a full member so to speak, or email me a link to an article.

If someone joins a 'public' Notebook:

1. Can they see email addresses of people who are sharing the Notebook?

2. Can the originator see the people who join?

Best regards

Chris

ps here is a link to the Notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/g2ews/omd#b=27624ada-2830-43ff-af91-cb4b5f0f0502&st=p&n=2815fc9d-79f6-4706-b7cf-da62cb5aab96

• Level 5*

I confess to not thinking about making a Notebook 'public'.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a 'shared' Notebook on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera which has been going well with lots of members now. Each of them has the ability to add and modify Notes. This means we can end up with a larger information database. The danger, is of course, as mentioned above, that they can cause me problems with my upload limit. But as this is currently at 6GB I somehow doubt it!

But I like the idea of getting more people involved by sharing it as a public link. They can then decide if they want to join as a full member so to speak, or email me a link to an article.

If someone joins a 'public' Notebook:

Best regards

Chris

ps here is a link to the Notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/g2ews/omd#b=27624ada-2830-43ff-af91-cb4b5f0f0502&st=p&n=2815fc9d-79f6-4706-b7cf-da62cb5aab96

Hi Chris - if it helps,  I promise not to Gazbomb you :P

This is what your link looks like to me - (att)

- but I think making a public shared notebook editable is a fair definition of "hostage to fortune" - 99.999% of your audience are probably mature human beings (in some cases very very mature),  but there's always a joker.  Even internal Wikis that I run need close editing to ensure the content stays on message and legal, decent etc.

Public affairs like Wikipedia resort to banning individual members for misbehaviour, and there's no counterpart to that in Evernote (yet).  You could invite people to apply for membership and then invite them individually by email,  but there's an obvious admin overhead;  or as you suggest,  you could simply invite contributions by email and add them centrally to a read-only notebook.

There are many advantages to having a motivated group of people collaborating on a knowledge base - you get a lot of peer-reviewed content added very quickly;  but I think we need a few more bells and whistles in Evernote yet to do that safely.

post-63053-0-15965600-1364037343_thumb.j

Thanks for that Gazumped.

But if you 'join' the Notebook, you cannot change it can you?

I have over 30 members who had been invited by email with rights to add. What I am hoping has happened here is that the people who either 'view' which is obviously not a problem, but more importantly 'join' don't have the ability to add anything.

Best regards

Chris

If I join the notebook and take a look in the web client, I can NOT edit the notebook. It is simply a notebook that I jave joined with viewing rights only.

The Windows client has a bug I think, since the properties actually show that I can edit and modify the notebook. I am not sure that this is actually the case, but I don't want to try it on your notebook.

1. Not sure, typically editing shows an email in the activity, but I wonder how it is done from the public viewer perspective. I guess that is something to test. (typically the owner username is shown in the activity.)

2. Not to a public notebook, no.

I know you used to see when people you invited joined the notebook, but I just tried it again and didn't see a notification. It came through.

Hi Scott,

Just replied to your message.

Basically you can make a change on the public, shared Note in Windows version but it doesn't sync. Therefore not showing on the web, iPad or Mac. So technically no change made.

Will bring it to support's attention.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

I've got a bit of an add-on question here if I may be so bold.

I have a number of Photography related Evernote Notebooks  where I keep all the interesting articles, diagrams and 'tog "stuff" and I'm very happy with it all. I'd like to share this information with interested parties and so I have made them Public Notebooks. So far, so easy.

What I'd like to do now is embed some kind of "view" of these folders into the "Resources" area of my Photography Club web site so someone visiting the page could see at a glance what the latest articles were which I had put in the various public folders? Can this be done? If so, how?

I was thinking it could be done using RSS but I can't see it on Evernote

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul Parkinson LRPS

Hi Paul,

Will have to give that some thought. Perhaps it is something our GrumpyMonkey would know about, I will send him a message.

In the meantime, do send me a link to your 'shared' Notebook. I am also an amateur photographer and also have a shared Notebook for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 which is currently being use around the world.

Also own a Nikon D3S and most of Nikon's fast lenses.

Regards

Chris

Oh yes and LRPS also!

Hi Paul,

You have been busy!

I got into astrophotography as well. Only problem was, I suffer with pure double vision, I see two of everything! You try setting up a telescope with twice the amount of stars as should be there! I gave up after about 6 months!

Here is the OMD one if you are interested:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/g2ews/omd

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

I also do photographs,  but I'm too mean to share any tips on photography :P

As to the issue at hand,  I don't know of any current Evernote resource that would allow you to show changed notebooks.  This is more a web design issue than an Evernote one - there are websites out there (well,  there used to be..) that will notify you if a given website changes,  so obviously the possibility exists - but I'm not sure how you'd work that into another website.  Short term suggestion would be - change the main one by hand where necessary.  You could try googling the service to see if there are any relevant spin-off features that would help you,  or if you know any app designers this strikes me as a good Evernote add-on!

• Level 5*

...Aaannnd to further brighten my day Evernote have warned that the RSS feed item I referenced above is now incorrect.  RSS feeds are no longer provided (for the moment at least). 

User jefito has commented elsewhere that IFTTT can trigger an alert when a notebook is made public - maybe something can be set up for page changes?  He also says "Zapier" (???) can trigger off a specific note change.

I'm kinda juggling several spherical objects with suspicious fizzing string attachments at the moment so can't investigate further,  but if anyone gets a reliable system of notifications running, please post the howto back here!!

• Level 5*

I don't know of any current Evernote resource that would allow you to show changed notebooks.

Are we talking about the Activity Stream here?

The question higher up this thread was how to promote new posts on another website,  so although the Activity Stream will tell you if notebooks in your Evernote have changed,  it isn't what we need to tell another website that something new has happened.

• Level 5*

Many thanks to everyone who has chipped in with my original question about RSS.

I will investigate the KB article referred to above. It looks like exactly what I needed.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul. I am sorry, but support for the RSS feed has just been withdrawn, and I don't think it will work any longer.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37000-removing-rss-feed-support-from-public-notebooks/

Archived