(Archived) REQUEST: Make tables more intuitive

krigath

Idea

Dear o'glorious Evernote creators,

On the whole, I am very pleased with your product. However, one feature in particular is not up to your otherwise high standard.

The arrow keys do not work as expected in tables[2]. Additionally, there is no obvious way to insert new rows above/below existing rows, and columns to the left/right, once a table has been created. If such features do exists, they should be available when you right-click a table cell.

My main point is that the way in which tables work is somewhat counter-intuitive, and does not correspond well with people's conceptual model [1] of how tables are meant to work.

Regards,

Krigath

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things

[2] e.g. instead of going to the cell below, Evernote goes to the next cell when you press the

arrow key

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi Krigath. Welcome to the WWF (Wonderful World of the Forums). I think you'll find there has been some previous comment on the 'limitations' of the table layout in notes - as in "it don't work so well.." - and no doubt it's on the Big Green's route map to do something about it. +1 for your comment however, and for any general improvements to the note management features. The BG isn't about reinventing wheels however, so if you do need tables with att-it-ude in your notes, you may want to lay them out in your spreadsheet or WP of choice and copy / paste them across.

Hi Krigath. Welcome to the WWF (Wonderful World of the Forums). I think you'll find there has been some previous comment on the 'limitations' of the table layout in notes - as in "it don't work so well.." - and no doubt it's on the Big Green's route map to do something about it. +1 for your comment however, and for any general improvements to the note management features. The BG isn't about reinventing wheels however, so if you do need tables with att-it-ude in your notes, you may want to lay them out in your spreadsheet or WP of choice and copy / paste them across.

Thank you for your response. I will use your technique from now on.

Archived