(Archived) REQUEST: Double entering encryption password when setting it

The text encryption is a neat idea, but what if you make a typo when entering the password? I would feel more secure about encrypting important text if I had to type the password twice, or if there were an option to display the password.

• Level 5

The same password is used on all your encrypted items.

So if you mis-type a password, you will get a warning in red letters that says:

Incorrect passphrase. Try again.
  • Level 5*

The same password is used on all your encrypted items.

So if you mis-type a password, you will get a warning in red letters that says:

Incorrect passphrase. Try again.

I think he means that if you mistype it the first time, then that becomes the password, and you won't be able to decrypt it. It has never been a problem for me, but I can imagine the situation, and it seems like it wouldn't hurt to have this feature.

jbenson2, that is an interesting point.When I tested the encryption feature earlier it asked for my encryption password, and I didn't realize that I must have set one earlier, possibly two years ago when I first created my EN account. Oddly, when I experimented with it a few minutes ago on a second computer, but using the same EN account, it appeared as if EN wanted me to set a new encryption passphrase, double-checking for a matching entry and even accepting a hint. The file I encrypted on my other computer, once I synced, shows up as encrypted on the second computer and decrypts correctly when the correct password is given. Two machines, to files encrypted with different passphrases, but only one EN account, so I'm still confused.

I went ahead and encrypted a test file on the second computer using a new passphrase. I can access both files, but using different passphrases. When I tested with a third it complained that the passphrase was not the same as the one I had used with the previous file on the second computer, and gave me the option of re-entering the passphrase or creating a new passphrase.

So in short you my understanding is that you CAN have a different passphrase for encryption on each file, though EN does seem to want to discourage this. More problematic is that you could easily establish multiple passphrases when using EN on different computers/devices. Part of me appreciates the flexibility, but the other part realizes how easy it can be to be confused by this much freedom.

Archived