(Archived) Snapshots, offline viewing

artlee61

Hello,

I do not know if I have a bug, or this is normal behavior, but when I take a snapshot note with my mobile android, it's o.k,, but if I am offline, the snapshot is no longer viewable, just an image icon.

Is this the way it is supposed to be? Why should I take a note if it is unusable half the time?

• Level 5*

The Android client should display all the content of all your picture notes (JPG and PNG anyway), exactly like the desktop version - with one proviso. PDF files don't initially show their content on mobile, they show as an icon and have to be 'opened' to display the content. On the assumption that you're not saving pictures as PDF files, your client's behaviour is unusual. I use an Android to snapshot items away from my desktop, and I've never had an issue with the saved image - apart from resizing and recropping it if I set the camera definition too high. Can't really suggest what might be happening here - might be an idea to put your Gallery on the same drive as Evernote. The native Android camera isn't the most imaginative of apps - there are several free versions out there with more options. If you add another camera you get an option to make it the default for pictures, so an easy way to test out your EN facilities would be to download another camera app and try it out..

If you're using a mobile client while you do not have an Internet connection, some (many/most?) notes will not be viewable unless you have a premium account, set up that notebook as an offline notebook & fully synced the notes down to your device while you did have an Internet connection. Please search the board on offline notebooks, If you need more info.

• Level 5*

I jumped to the conclusion that the OP was taking the snapshot note while offline, therefore creating it on the mobile client; and without syncing to the server, the picture was still unavailable. I'm a premium user, so can't test out the 'free' situation, but I just set up a new notebook on my phone while offline, and added a picture note. The note and the picture are doing fine and both show up on my phone, though they haven't gotten to the server yet.

BnF spotted the difference though - I think the situation is that notes have been taken and synced, and the pictures aren't showing up at a later time when the OP is offline. And that's normal - your note needs to be downloaded from the server to the mobile client. If the server isn't available, you get nothing.

You can however specificy notebooks to be available for 'offline searching' and - after a bit of a delay if a large notebook has to be downloaded to your phone - you will always see the full content.

Not sure how far the difference between free and paid for affects all of that - offline notebooks are (as BnF noted) a Premium only perk.

Well thanks for the replies, For me that will mean I will look for an alternative to Evernote. Free or Premium Evernote touts itself as a way to synchronize all your notes across all your devices. If some are available only when online then that is not true. My situation is 1. taking a snapshot note offline. 2. Later synching. 3. Later trying to view offline and photo is not visible on my mobile (On my PC photo is visible online or offline)

Well thanks for the replies, For me that will mean I will look for an alternative to Evernote. Free or Premium Evernote touts itself as a way to synchronize all your notes across all your devices. If some are available only when online then that is not true. My situation is 1. taking a snapshot note offline. 2. Later synching. 3. Later trying to view offline and photo is not visible on my mobile (On my PC photo is visible online or offline)

Um...yes, Evernote does sync all your notes across all your devices, except for local/non-sync'd notebooks that are only available on the Mac/Windows clients. Availability is a different issue. IE, some people don't WANT their notes stored locally on their device. One reason (my case) is that my database is larger than what I can store on my 32 gb iPhone. And Evernote is VERY CLEAR that offline notebooks are a premium feature.

http://evernote.com/premium/

post-48228-0-16337400-1339366771_thumb.j

Archived