(Archived) Can't copy and paste pdf files anymore in EN. Bug?

idoc

Today I noted, for the first time, that I was unable to copy and paste pdf files within EN. My workflow involves my moving around pdf files from one note to another. In the past, I was able to highlight the pdf and then Ctrl-C. I would then go to another note and Ctrl-V (paste). This no longer works and I can't copy and paste anywhere within EN. In fact, I can't even copy it from the desktop and paste into EN. I can, however, save the pdf into the import folder and it is properly moved into EN from there. This represents a definite change since yesterday. Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? I've tried opening and closing the program.

Addendum: Strangely, I was able to resolve the problem by restarting the computer. This is the first time I've seen Evernote do this, and apart from the total inability to move pdf's it was working normally (perhaps it wasn't an EN issue at all?)

• 2 months later...

Today I noted, for the first time, that I was unable to copy and paste pdf files within EN. My workflow involves my moving around pdf files from one note to another. In the past, I was able to highlight the pdf and then Ctrl-C. I would then go to another note and Ctrl-V (paste). This no longer works and I can't copy and paste anywhere within EN.

I have the same problem with copy and paste of PDF files since a few (pre)releases (currently running 4.5.8.7345 (267853)). It does not make any difference if I right click on the PDF file and choose "copy" and later "paste" from the menu or if I use the shortcuts CTRL+C / CTRL+V: Evernote does not paste the file anymore. Choosing "cut" (CTRL+X) the file disappears from the original note (paste doesn't work also in this case) but I had cases where CTRL+Z did not bring back the PDF file to the original place either so for now I stopped using the cut function at all.

Please fix this urgently as restarting both Evernote and the PC in opposite to idoc's entry above did not work here.

• 3 weeks later...

If you right click the file preview window (or in note viewer) and select view as an attachment.... the file then appears as a small icon which you can then right click and copy & paste as normal. (v 4.5.8.7356)

I am running the windows client 4.5.7.7146(258477) and am able to copy and paste without any problems. However, I did have the above problems a few months ago (as posted above) and it resolved with a reboot of the computer.

I'm having the same problem in Ubuntu using the web client.

1. I copy a picture from either a sceen shot or gimp (doesn't matter - tried both ways)
  2. Attempt to paste the image into a note. Nothing happens

I can however, paste the image into gmail's client and mail the picture to myself. So the image is definitely in the clipboard in an accessible format.

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem for some time now. I'm currently on v4.5.10.7472 (267980) and it's becoming very frustrating.

1. When I DO NOT view the PDF as an attachment right-clicking and choosing 'copy' does nothing since when I try an paste into another note or any other application nothing happens.
  2. When I DO NOT view the PDF as an attachment then right-clicking and choosing 'cut' deletes the note but does not put it on the clipboard. If I then go into another note paste obviously fails and I have lost the original PDF.
  3. When I DO view the PDF as an attachment I am able to cut & paste as expected.

I believe point (2) makes this a serious issue because there is a reasonable chance of data loss.

Evernote have just confirmed this as a bug:

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

So, if you're suffering from this and you want it fixed I suggest you open a ticket otherwise it may not get fixed as a priority. To keep things clear you can quote my ticket number: 16051-174119.

• 5 months later...

Currently I can not cut and paste pdf files, even if they are shown as attachment.

Is there any update on this topic?  Any other work arounds (other than reboot computer)?  :(

More info:   I CAN cut and paste pdf on the windows desktop and other applicaitons.

Evernote for Windows 4.6.4.8136 (268644) Public

Another update.  I was having this problem (can't copy PDF inside Evernote) today, and discovered that if I view the PDF as attachment, then select the line before, the pdf, and the line after, I am able to then paste the pdf into another note.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

So I, too, am finding that it is not easy -- and often impossible -- to get PDF pages into Evernote (v 4.6.3.8096).  I have a 3-page PDF opened in Acrobat Reader.  I select all three pages and "copy to clipboard."  Sometimes when I attempt to paste them into an otherwise blank note, nothing happens.  Sometimes just the first page gets pasted in, sometimes just the last page.  What the hey?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Archived