(Archived) HELP: Lost data

mzembow

Idea

So, I wanted to synch my iphone lists from my mac computer lists, since my computer lists had been updated several times recently and the iphone lists were quite out-of-date. So I (mistakenly, I guess) pressed the "Sync" button on Evernote on my computer (not on the evernote.com website but inside of my downloaded application where I have kept those lists), while my iphone was plugged into the computer. I was never asked anything like "which way do you want to sync" [as in from which device to which] and the sync button icon had that double arrow circle, so I assumed that without specifying, both devices would end up with the other's lists/data. WRONG! I now have my iphone lists--the ones that are way out-of-date--on my computer and the very recently updated lists from my mac are nowhere to be found. Aargh!!! I went to evernote.com to see what was there in my account and wouldn't you know it, it also has the older lists from the iphone. Is there any way at all to get my original, very recent computer list(s) back? They are very important to me, in addition to having been updated just a little while ago.

Sigh...thank you for any help you can provide!

MZ

10 replies to this idea

EN does not sync device to device. Please read this post:

Now, go to your Mac client & look for a local (non-sync'd) notebook named "conflicting changes" (or conflicting notes...something like that.) See if you have one of those & if your missing notes are there.

Also, if you are a premium user, you can restore previous versions of notes with the note history, via your Mac client. Note history is only taken about once every eight hours. So if your good notes resided on the EN servers for over eight hours, you should be able to recover them.

Thank you very much, BNF, for your response.

Unfortunately, I am not a premium user.

Also unfortunately, I cannot find a notebook or anything else with the word conflicting (or close to that) on my Mac client...the notebooks that are there now are the older ones that were previously on my iphone...somehow (???), they ended up on my Mac client (as well as on my account on the server) and what was previously on my Mac client--earlier today--seems just to have disappeared.

Any other ideas?

I believe, but could be wrong, that if you upgrade to premium now, you can access the note history. As BNF said, this will only help you if the good version was saved on the Evernote server at some point, and that is only guaranteed if it was on the server for eight hours or more. If it was, and if this is worth $5 to you, I believe you can get that old version by upgrading. (Then you can cancel your premium membership, though you will have premium for a month and will not be refunded any of the $5). That said, as I said, I'm not 100 percent sure this is possible, so maybe wait to go premium until you get confirmation that I'm right about this.

EDIT: Just to expand on what BNF said and try to explain this a bit more, all syncing happens between a single device and the Evernote server. So your situation, while unfortunate, is expected behavior. It seems you synced your iPhone to the server at some point, and then synced the server to your Mac after that. (By the way, none of this is related to the fact that the iPhone was plugged into your computer. All this happens over the web.) That said, since you edited the notes on the Mac client, you should be able to view those changes in a Conflicting Notes folder, which should have been created at the time of sync. If that didn't happen, it's possible that something went wrong and Evernote support can help you recover data you weren't supposed to lose.

• Level 5*

So, I wanted to synch my iphone lists from my mac computer lists, since my computer lists had been updated several times recently and the iphone lists were quite out-of-date. So I (mistakenly, I guess) pressed the "Sync" button on Evernote on my computer (not on the evernote.com website but inside of my downloaded application where I have kept those lists), while my iphone was plugged into the computer. I was never asked anything like "which way do you want to sync" [as in from which device to which] and the sync button icon had that double arrow circle, so I assumed that without specifying, both devices would end up with the other's lists/data. WRONG! I now have my iphone lists--the ones that are way out-of-date--on my computer and the very recently updated lists from my mac are nowhere to be found. Aargh!!! I went to evernote.com to see what was there in my account and wouldn't you know it, it also has the older lists from the iphone. Is there any way at all to get my original, very recent computer list(s) back? They are very important to me, in addition to having been updated just a little while ago.

Sigh...thank you for any help you can provide!

MZ

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

If I read your post correctly, you had an old version of a note on your mobile device, and you had a newer one on your Mac. When you pressed sync, the older one on the mobile device overwrote the newer one. That has never happened to me before, so I am afraid I have no helpful advice to offer here, except to say that contacting customer support (see my signature) might be the best thing to do now.

By the way, if you have been doing regular time machine backups then you will have a copy of your Evernote files saved in there, and you can easily retrieve your Mac's version of the note.

Thanks so much for your suggestions...I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, I'm trying to reconstruct my list. (Think my external hard drive for time machine is full and I haven't much time otherwise....leaving for vaca.)

• Level 5*

BTW, GrumpyMonkey, you very succinctly described my problem...exactly.

Glad I could help! Hopefully, that will give customer service an idea of what happened. Evernote is great for vacations (boarding passes, itineraries, hotel reservation numbers, addresses, maps, photographs, sharing notebooks with friends and family, etc.). However, you might have to save these use cases for a future trip. Enjoy!

Have you do backup with iTunes? If so, try the way below:

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.

2. Open iTunes.

3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.

4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.

5. Select Restore From Backup...

6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

If you do not, you can try to recover the iPhone lost data with an iPhone data recovery software. However, I am an iPhone user and had met that problem, too. The tool I have ever used is wonderful. take a try and hope this helps.

Have you do backup with iTunes? If so, try the way below:
1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
2. Open iTunes.
3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.
4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.
5. Select Restore From Backup...
6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

If you do not, you can try to recover the iPhone lost data with an iPhone data recovery software. However, I am an iPhone user and had met that problem, too. The tool I have ever used is wonderful. take a try and hope this helps.

If you're talking about restoring notes in Evernote via an iTunes backup, last I knew Evernote does not backup the database when you do an iTunes backup.  They initially did, but users complained that the backup took too long.  And since EN is a cloud app, in theory, your data can be restored from the cloud.  But in the case of data that's no longer correct in the cloud but used to be, that's where doing a Mac or Windows desktop backup can be helpful.

I had gone through the posts. I too also heard from my friends, which are faced this kind of situations such the older one on the mobile device overwrote the newer one. At that time, We must take proper care in the next steps otherwise it leads into another problems. With the contact of customer service, You may find solution.

[MODERATOR EDIT:] Spam link removed from signature.

Archived