(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.2.0 Beta 1

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Mac!

We have a new beta. We've renamed Notifications back to Activity... and we've added in an new item for when a user joins your notebook. We also made it so that when you join a notebook, it automatically starts to down-sync.

thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, make sure to drag the current Evernote app from the Applications folder to the trash, then you can download the latest version here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/mac/prerelease/Evernote_257609.zip

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Phil Libin claimed credit in one of the podcasts for bringing blue into the sync icon, and now it looks like the team has gone ahead and made the Activity icon blue as well. All of the colors are blinding me!

Activity in the bottom left and notifications under the icon in the menu bar looks fine to me. However, it seems like this might be too busy for new users. For premium users who like to see the promotional ads (me), the activity section takes up way too much space, and so I end up having to turn it off. Could you make it smaller? Just a thought. It's not a big deal (pun intended).

• Level 5*

BUG: Long sync times

I have been syncing my notes ever since I updated. I'd say I have had about eight hours or more of syncing. At one point, it got stuck on downloading 25.7MB. After an hour or so, I exited Evernote and now it is "Calculating note changes." It has done this a few times, and judging by the slow progression of the blue bar, it will not end anytime soon. Admittedly, I have a whole lot of shared notebooks (that seems to be what is being synced), but this seems excessive...

Just updated Evernote for my mac and it completely ruined my notes. I can't tell if it took stuff out of garbage, unarchived deleted notes, etc.. But I try to use the program to be productive not counterproductive. I see a bunch of gray notes with a - icon.

• Level 5*

Hello People of Mac!

We have a new beta. We've renamed Notifications back to Activity.

After update, the activity icon on toolbar is unchanged -- it is still titled as "Notifications".

I double-checked the Ver# and it is "Version 3.2.0 Beta 1 (257609)", but this makes me wonder if the correct version was downloaded.

Does this update fix this problem? Or are you still adding bells and whistles while the basic search functionality is broken? I'd like to know if the engineers have real reason to believe they fixed it before I go to the trouble of redownloading the whole db.

Any plans to add more feature parity to the mac client? In the windows client you can sort notes by Tag while in list view... heck there are a ton of sorting options in the windows client, with the mac client, not so much.

Here's an interesting anomaly, though perhaps not specific to this beta:

When you clip a rectangle screenshot from the EN menubar icon, the image is almost four times the size of one snapped from Skitch and sent to EN.

An identical shot clipped by the EN hefalump comes in at 750k while one from Skitch is a little over 200k.

Can something be done to reduce these EN clipping file sizes?

Neither Doxie nor ScanSnap seem to be able to send anything to Evernote anymore. Clicking on the "send to Evernote" on Doxie switches to Evernote but no note is created. Same with ScanSnap. Am I just doing something wrong?

OK. That's just too weird. That's the second time that I've had an issue with Evernote, then I posted about it in this thread, then I went back and it was fixed in Evernote.

• Level 5*

Bug: Internal Error.

"An internal database error has occurred that prevents Evernote from functioning properly. If the problem persists, please contact Evernote Support." This message appeared, and clicking OK caused the program to exit. Opening the program resulted in this error appearing, and I could not do anything in my account. I turned off the wifi, and that solved the problem. Apparently, the problem was in the syncing, and the problem knows not to sync without wifi (smart design). I am sending the activity logs now (these are coming to you dlu). Will try a few things before re-installing.

Is this related to the beta or to my account, though? I have an open ticket regarding two Windows installations that have failed for me (Ticket #16051-111796 Not Responding). We were not able to resolve the problem, even with a re-install. I am still trying to figure out what is going on with my account on the Windows machines, and it may be a totally separate issue, but if no one else reports my problem with the Mac beta, then this may be something to consider.

[EDIT:]

I have confirmed that the 4.5.7 Windows client works fine with my other account, but crashes on my main one. So, it is looking more and more like some sort of problem with my account. I ended up deleting everything from my computer and I am starting over with the beta from scratch. Hopefully, whatever is causing the problems in both clients for me will be resolved.

Things are going rather slow with the re-install... It has been about 12 hours now and I am still in the midst of the initial sync. The app on the Mac cannot be opened, except to show a "Performing Initial Sync" dialog box. I have been working on the web and on my Windows machine, but wonder why the Mac app is inaccessible during this period. At about 16 hours the app finally became accessible. It has only loaded 2823 notes in that time period. This may be an issue with the sync, and not this build of the client, but earlier in the week the initial sync went considerably faster.

• Level 5*

Has Evernote always had a popup notification that appears in the top right of the screen telling you what notes have synced? If so, I don't remember it. In general, I loathe any popups, but I am actually liking this one. If it is an old feature, I guess I just never noticed it. If it is a new one, good job!

[EDIT:] Nevermind. I think this is Growl doing it. It's a new computer. I downloaded everything from my Apple store purchases, and it looks like I put Growl in my computer. Cool. It works nice.

Will Evernote fix the problem in Mac version to allow PDFs to be copied and pasted from emails (or anything else) into EN? I've reported this to the How To EN list, but there seems to be lots of complaints, and only ineffective solutions. Will have to quit Evernote unless this basic functionality (as in Mac Notes) can be fixed.

Dan

Archived